Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM debacle

Views : 1561

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2012, 19:48   #1
jeffreyt

Default ETM debacle

I have to admit I did no research before deciding to buy an old ( 2000 W reg )XC70 about a week ago as a winter runaround. I just assumed it was a good car based on 30 years experience of running Volvos.The last one was a '97 V40 that ran without missing a beat for 13 years until I sold it last year.
Having just read up on the ETM problem that affects the early 70 series it now seems I'm running a potential death trap if the ETM lets go at 70 when I'm on the outside lane of the M25 ! It seems you do get some early warning signs,God I hope so.
Been outside this afternoon trying to see what colour sticker is on the ETM,can't see any sticker as there seems to be a large black pipe in the way.It was getting dark so I will look again tomorrow.
Excuse the rant,the real question on this post is that in the paperwork of
the XC70 is an invoice for Sept 2010 which includes among other work 'reload ETM '.
I have emailed the company to get an explanation of the work done but just wondered if anyone here knew what it meant.
The ironic thing is that util I read about the ETM I really did think what a good car this is for very little money.
All comments/feedback appreciated
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 19:54   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

ETM repairs aren't too costly these days, there is someone on this forum that can repair them for under £100.

A re-load could be one of a number of things, new ETM fitted requiring software or a dealer might have updated the ETM related software as Volvo bought out a software "fix" to try and cover up the crap ETM - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 21:10   #3
jeffreyt

thanks Mike . The software upload would explain it as there was no mention on the parts items in the invoice for any ETM parts.
Looks like I still have the original ETM and will explore getting it replaced.
The cost seems to be coming down to a reasonable amount and my blood pressure has ( hopefully ) come down to normal so maybe it will be a good
with a little bit of sorting.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:03   #4
spokoluzik
Trader

Etm upgrade changes frequency of position sensor check. Old software does it every 0.3 sec new every 0.8 I think. It work fine when sensor is worn but still good enough to give proper values within longer period of time.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 17:21   #5
jeffreyt

managed to get the black pipe ( ?turbo intake ) out of the way and get a look at the ETM this afternoon,its definitely got a yellow sticker on it but I could not read the writing.
So I'm guessing I have a new ETM ( but still the old flawed type ) and a software upgrade.
As I will only do a couple of thousand miles a year in this car I will leave it at that and hope it lasts.
What a farce ! Still can't believe Volvo would prejudice their reputation
for safety and reliability in this way.On the other hand perhaps its just down to the bean counters at Ford.Lets hope Chinese Volvos turn out better
engineered than Ford Volvos.