Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo BT Phone P2v2 - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update

Views : 86147

Replies : 411

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 15:37   #1
marekbm

Wink Volvo BT Phone P2v2 - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update

Hi everyone,
If you have a Phone module (PHM) in the car but you don't use it (it needs an extra SIM card) then it's possible to rebuild it into Bluetooth Hands-Free module.

I would like to introduce my product: Volvo BT Phone P2v2.
You can simply replace obsolete GSM modem in the PHM by this Bluetooth module. And you can enjoy these new features:

Hands-Free:
- it's not a GSM phone module anymore but Bluetooth Hands-Free with the use of original microphone (in rearview mirror) and speaker (drivers seat)
- contacts are read out from the connected cellphone (max. 350 - 500 contacts, depends on original GSM modem: Ericsson - 350; Wavecom - 500).
- maximum of 16 paired devices (just one active connection).
- automatic connection with last connected cellphone, if not find then it tries to connect to any paired
- incoming and outgoing calls on the Dashboard + you can see it also on the radio (if not muted, depends on settings).
- same control like before - buttons on Steering wheel and Phone module. Green button - accept the call, red button - reject the call
- DTMF tones are also supported

Music in the radio:
- you can listen the music from your cellphone in the radio (A2DP + AVRCP).
- you can set the module into following radio modes: CD-CHANGER (all HU radios supports it), MD-CHANGER (only HU-x0x radios) or SAT (only HU-x5x radios).
- Song ID tags on the radio. Spotify is working too. (MD-CHANGER or SAT mode)
- Remaining or total time (CD-CHANGER or MD-CHANGER mode).
- next / previous button on the radio or Steering wheel is working. In the SAT mode just on the radio.
- if you have the RTI or another device connected to the MELBUS, you need "Y" cable. It's not a part of package.

Another features:
- simple firmware update and extra settings via Bluetooth. You can use smartphone or laptop.

Supported cars:
- S60 (2000-2009)
- V/XC70 (2000-2007)
- S80 (2000-2006) - PHM with the SIM slot under buttons.

Caution: iPhone works well but it doesn't support send files via Bluetooth! For the first run you will probably need a laptop or smartphone with Android or Windows Mobile.

Few videos (not in English)
Documentation
Firmware to download

Order form

Everything just by replacing one board in the PHM module. Nothing that marred the interior of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt modul - small.jpg (70.6 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg bt modul - original.jpg (53.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg bt modul - replacement.jpg (75.8 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg bt modul - final assembly.jpg (42.4 KB, 242 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 00:21   #2
marekbm

The Installation Guide in English is ready. I hope it does make sense because of my English. If anything is stupid let me know . Now I will start with the User Guide.

Last edited by marekbm; Jan 3rd, 2017 at 00:26.
marekbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 21:07   #3
marekbm

I have finished the translation of the User Guide.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 17:42   #4
john d
VOC Member

Hi,

This sounds interesting. However, my problem would be extracting the existing phone module from the dashboard. I have tried but can't see how it can be done - can you advise? The car is a 2006 v70 T5 SE.

Thanks,

John
john d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 18:16   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You need to remove the whole unit (radio, climate control panel & keypad) to access it from the rear. Plenty of videos on YouTube. Once you've got the knack, it's only a 5 / 10 minute job to whip it out.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 18:25   #6
john d
VOC Member

Thanks, Simon.

I have previously taken the whole head unit out - climate control and all. And I've taken the trim plate off the front, but for the life of me I haven't been able to work out how to get the phone out.

I'll have a look at YouTube - 5/10 minutes sounds like my kind of job.

(Incidentally - search YouTube for "Dilbert, the Knack" next time you're on there. It cracks me up every time!)
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 18:30   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I have to admit, I've never tried to remove a phone unit (as I didn't have one) but the cupholder clips into the plastic frame somehow.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 19:04   #8
john d
VOC Member

It is a while since I took my unit out (and I didn't take any picture - what a good idea for the future).

However, as I recollect, there seemed to be a fairly obvious spring loaded clip, which I released with a screwdriver. I got the module to move a fraction, but then it stuck, as if there were another clip somewhere that I had missed.

How many clips were there on your cup holder - the phone and cup holder must fix roughly the same way.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 01:40   #9
Gomorrah

Hi Marek,

Very ingenious system, I was wondering if it is possible to change the 2G gsm module to one that supports a 3/4G network based on the work you have done? I imagine it is not as easy as substituting modules on the board even if one was available. Australian carriers have started the 2G network shutdown and my phone no longer works. I have a Grom audio unit in for USB/BT playback and would like to keep the car phone system going seeing as I already have a separate sim for it.
Gomorrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 17:45   #10
marekbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomorrah View Post
Hi Marek,

Very ingenious system, I was wondering if it is possible to change the 2G gsm module to one that supports a 3/4G network based on the work you have done? I imagine it is not as easy as substituting modules on the board even if one was available. Australian carriers have started the 2G network shutdown and my phone no longer works. I have a Grom audio unit in for USB/BT playback and would like to keep the car phone system going seeing as I already have a separate sim for it.
Hi, the worst was implementation of three types of GSM modem into one firmware. At the beginning I was scared about melbus (text on the radio) but at the end it was easier than GSM modems. I have a lucky because I have started with the most complicated type (Ericsson, older models), from the hw side.

Tags
bluetooth handsfree radio