Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Follow to the 164 story; Advice please

Views : 1106

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 00:30   #11
Nextmove

Thanks to all for your comments, guys. I'd already made the decision to try 15/40 for the engine and have ordered some for an oil change that should happen asap, so I'm committed to that path.

I'll see how that goes re leaks as per eternal optimist's comment, and may lapse back to 20/50 for later changes.

Thanks to 360 breast for pointing me at the Kroon ATF A at Frosts. They also stock F. I didn't know either A or F were still available, and have spent time reading around more modern substitutes, trying to get my head sorted.

I did read somewhere that A supposedly originally contained whale oil, and that particular blend disappeared when whaling dropped off (though come to think of it, Norway still catches whales, doesn't it, and it's a close neighbour, so.....!!!!??). I don't want any whales dying to keep my car in shape, but that particular story may have just been a myth.

I think my reading indicated A was phased out by F, but it seems that isn't so?

My owners handbook and Volvo service manual both recommend A for the ps, with F as a substitute if not available.

On the other hand my owners handbook, Volvo service manual and Haynes manual all recommend ATF F for the trannie (with A as substitute if not available), so I'll go for that when I get to that job.

It comes in 1 litre cans so will end up being pricey to do a few flushes, and Frosts is a bit dearer than other ebay sources, but those others seem to be mainly shipping from Germany, so I'd assume much higher shipping costs.

No desperate hurry. First up is an engine oil change, as I'm not convinced it's been done within the last 18 months, and I'll flush and replace the the coolant as that's probably past it's use-by as well, and put new hoses on and thermostat as soon as they arrive in the post.

My rad hoses are very hard and the clamps rather sad looking. The heater hoses look ready to explode and I can't yet locate two of the three heater hoses to order in, so I think I'll fit some short lengths of stock hose at the engine ends and plug them, to cut the heater out altogether till I can get under the dash and find out what's happening under there.

But the car is very nice indeed to drive. I pootled up to the garage that I'll be getting to attack the little (I hope) bits of rust in the front wings, and they came out en masse and drooled, despite the faded paint. The younger observers had never seen a 164, but the old hands gave it a thumbs up, and the Hungarian mechanic and whizz welder who transformed my Morrie from a failed MOT (rust) into a fully legal conveyance obviously knew his Volvos well, though he barely speaks any English. He approved with a "Volvo!" And a big thumbs up.

I have to go back to get it up on the hoist that is currently occupied by a stunningly beautiful Alvis being reborn. I'm looking forward to seeing that finished.

And when mine gets on the hoist I'll ask them to do a brake fluid flush, as I've always made a dog's breakfast of that chore.

Actually that's a nasty slur on dogs, so I apologise. My experience of dog's breakfasts is that they end up with a sparkling clean bowl, floor, and nearby environment.. Clean as a whistle.
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nextmove For This Useful Post: