Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC70 - Broken down on first trip.

Views : 2511

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2020, 08:00   #1
Sebastienclement

Default New XC70 - Broken down on first trip.

Hi All,

I've bought an '03 plate XC70 and it's managed to breakdown on its first trip. Argh!

A whirring noise became apparent (more of a shhhhhhhhh) which is definitely related to wheel speed. It's loudest between 30-40mph. I was slowing from 60mph for a roundabout and it started clunking / loud ticking. Again related to wheel speed and if I kicked the gearbox into 'N' for a second it continued to make the noise. I could feel it vibrating through the brake pedal (not pulsing like ABS application). This seems to be coming from the NSF wheel.

I pulled over to see if the wheel was warm - which it wasn't. From then on it was back to the whirring noise only - which seems to disappear when turning right.

I've jacked the car up and there is some resistance from that wheel - it doesn't spin freely. But also there is a slight rattle from (I'm assuming) the front diff (I'm assuming) as the wheel is rotating.

This could be something as simple as a stone lodged that worked its way out - but I have a feeling it's something a bit sinister?

Any ideas?!
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 08:05   #2
DeanH

Brake backing plate binding on the disc? Stone stuck in brake area? Both would make a grinding or scratching sound dependent on how big/bad.
DeanH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 08:38   #3
Sebastienclement

Just taken it around the block. The constant "shhhh" / whirring is there most of the time, but when slowing down, between about the speeds 30-45mph is becomes a metallic tapping / clanking.
Old May 12th, 2020, 08:40   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Broken spring?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 08:44   #5
Sebastienclement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Broken spring?
Springs are fine. Had it jacked up both sides and can't see anything obvious.

Is there anything in the AWD system at the front that could cause this? My main worry is it's going to be a big repair!
Old May 12th, 2020, 09:06   #6
Longhouse21
Master Member

Driveshaft? Wheel bearing? Hub bolt (behind the centre cap)?
Any codes or indications on the DIM?
Seems unlikely to be a wheel bearing as you describe the noise disappearing when turning right, putting the NSF under load, which is generally when a wheel bearing complains most.
Does the noise vary when applying brakes?
Old May 12th, 2020, 09:14   #7
Longhouse21
Master Member

I'm not familiar with the AWD system but the angle gear is known to be a weak spot. Could it be this? Do you still have AWD capability?
I'd also look for stones in or around the disc/caliper/backing plate or maybe the reluctor ring area and check the wheel nuts for tightness.

Last edited by Longhouse21; May 12th, 2020 at 09:25.
Longhouse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 09:50   #8
Sebastienclement

Cheers guys.

The car has just had an MOT so I highly doubt they'd a wheel bearing issue.

No codes coming up on the dashboard & I have no idea if the AWD works or not!
Old May 12th, 2020, 10:57   #9
marcb
Master Member

Try driving in reverse if you've not done so - that could release a stone. I had this recently - the noise was incredible and I thought something major had happened. I reverse parked and after that all as well as I assume a stone dropped out.

Another thing that is important to sort is the rear parking brake linings, which can become detached and destroy your hub.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 11:20   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
Driveshaft? Wheel bearing? Hub bolt (behind the centre cap)?
Any codes or indications on the DIM?
Seems unlikely to be a wheel bearing as you describe the noise disappearing when turning right, putting the NSF under load, which is generally when a wheel bearing complains most.
Does the noise vary when applying brakes?
Actually that is exactly the symptom of a rough wheel bearing as the load comes off and on the noise alters . It is very rare you will feel any play in a noisy wheel bearing .