Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Con went BANG when I switched it on. Help!

Views : 728

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2020, 21:15   #1
Green440wedge

Default Air Con went BANG when I switched it on. Help!

Some experienced advice would be appreciated!

The car was hot today inside under the sun showing 32 degrees on the outside temp gauge. I left the engine running when I stopped and parked up for 10 minutes as I had a fridge plugged in the boot.

I decided to turn on the A/C. However it went BANG under the bonnet and a gushing of gas could be heard and vapour could be seen exiting the bonnet and grill. I turned it off. I can't see anything looking down the front of the engine to the compressor.

I am guessing a seal has blown on a connecting pipe to the compressor. I don't use the a/c much but I have never had a problem with it. Could it be the compressor itself though?

Any good ideas would be appreciated!
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:08   #2
oilit
All the gear - no idea

may be worth checking around the AC intercooler /piping to me - but without knowing where the leak has come from hard to be precise. you may still be able to see where the oil dampness has leaked from
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 13:55   #3
oragex
Premier Member

Is the serpentine belt fine ? That would be my worry, especially on the D5 engine.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:38   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

use a UV light - most AC gas has UV dye in the lubricant oil
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 17:37   #5
wynnj
Master Member

If the compressor has seized you probably won't be able to turn the engine over on the starter.
Have you checked to see if the A/C radiator or one of the flexible hoses hasn't split; a UV lamp as suggested previously would help locate the source of the leak?
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 18:13   #6
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , sorry to read about your A/C . You need to step back from the panic surging through your system & start logically searching for the location of the fault .

Seeing as how you could see vapour exiting from the bonnet / grill , the most likely cause would be the condenser , the dryer unit or pipe /hose . It should be fairly easy to locate the leak .

As the gas has all run away , there is nothing stopping you using compressed air to "fill " the system and listen & look for any hissing or signs of oil mist . You will not require the engine to be running for this . Once the system has been repaired , the vacuum & purging process will draw out any moisture prior to the injection of oil & refrigerant gas . Surprisingly large chain tyre retailers are very competitive on pricing & offer guarantees , speaking nicely to one may also speed up your fault finding process as the can charge the system with dry nitrogen .

A/C condensers are prone to corrosion & impact damage due to being mounted behind the grill . This weakens the tubes and finally bursts occur . Aluminium is wonderful but does have its drawbacks

Hope this helps , good luck
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 23:11   #7
Green440wedge

Thanks for your advice, I will investigate further...
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote