Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Irish plate may be what the doctor ordered !

Views : 1192

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 00:25   #11
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Irish plate may be what the doctor ordered !

Perhaps you could explain, please, why "Z" plates are meant to be yellow background at the front and red background at the rear, whereas "I" plates are White front and Yellow rear as rest of UK. Your car may well have been registered in Eire even though sold in Northern Ireland, as convenient for the dealer, or may even have been imported from a dealer in Eire with dealer's pre-registration, just as in UK (but between counties). Incidentally all "Z" plates are administered from Eire and "I" plates from DVLA. The split originates from the partition.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:15   #12
Simon J
Premier Member

Peter,

My TCZ registration is on a brand new car and is a Belfast registration - CZ is Belfast! The Z in a registration number only signifies that the car is registered in either Ireland or Northern ireland and it depends on the full combination of letters as to which county and therefore which jurusdiction it comes from. The web site I posted yesterday will give you the full listing if you are interested and you will see that partition had nothing to do with the initial I and Z allocation - it was already done in 1904 I believe.

So not all Z plates are administered from Ireland (not Eire, please!), and we have our own Driver and Vehicle Licensing department in Northern Ireland and don't use DVLA in Swansea.

In NI we use the white front/yellow rear plate combination as in the rest of the UK and in Ireland up until they adopted the 'Euro' plate I think they used white front/red rear plates but it may well have been yellow front ones. To be honest I can't recall. Maybe some of our Irish readers will know.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 23:24   #13
S_Lock

It wont affect your insurance premium one bit but just make sure that you dont forget to tell them of the changes!!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:24   #14
bdwyer

does anyone know of a good web site to by these sort of plates?

cheers
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 19:15   #15
Simon J
Premier Member

And to conclude this one, I have checked with Irish friends and they say that they never used yellow front plates. They switched from white letters/numbers on a black background to black letters/numbers on a white background for front plates and a red background for rear ones in the late 60s early 70s, and then to the current 'Euro' plates in 1987.

But regardless, Northern Irish plates can be transferred to the rest of the UK, but Irish ones can't!
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:35   #16
crumpit1

Can you let us know how the purchase/transfer/legality etc has worked out by now ?
Cheers
crumpit1 is offline   Reply With Quote