Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DRLs

Views : 1205

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 20:45   #1
S_Lock

I dont know if anyone else has this problem but around here it is common practice for other motorists to flash at you as your approaching and gesticulate that your headlights are on???!!!!!???
I would have thought by now that people would realise that its a Volvo (cos how many other cars look like a wardrobe on wheels) and also that some cars do in fact have DRLs
I know that some organisations are trying to ban DRLs but at least this proves that other motorists can see you!!!
The event(s) that provoked me to write this post have been, almost every day this old guy in a 190 Mercedes coming the opposite way swerves towards me flashing his main beam and waving his fist and pointing at my lights????!!!!????
Today he nearly hit me head on (I had my 3 year old in the back)
This is the kind of behaviour that causes accidents not someone driving with their lights on!!!!!
Id be interested in any other persons experiences whilst driving with DRLs!!!!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 00:36   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: DRLs

Report the old duffer to the police for dangerous driving so that they can ask him why he does it. Perhaps he thinks he has a grudge against you or the previous owner of your car.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:52   #3
S_Lock

Yep,
I think I will report him cos its getting beyond a joke now!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 18:34   #4
Supraholic

It might be worth checking your headlight alignment first - maybe recreate the situation and put yourself in another driving seat with your car coming towards you. Just in case you really are blinding him.

Then, when you are sure your lights are fine, report him. Hey - why not get it on video first?
Supraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 19:59   #5
S_Lock

Thats a fair comment, but after hed done it to me a couple of times I thought the same and had them checked (although it doesnt matter wether im in my 960 or 850 he still does it!!!)
i was only thinking about installing my camcorder onto my dash for next weeks 'close calls'!!!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 00:31   #6
tonyflynn1

Hi, as suggested, report him to the police, alternatively hit him head on with the 960 - that'll put a stop to it! No seriously, report him to the law, he's probably got problems with drivers all over town and will eventually hurt someone. Sod it, hit him with the 960......
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 13:18   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

Please - NOT the 960!!

Use the 850.

But seriously, record this if you can - preferably with a second adult in your car. Even still shots will be OK.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 15:28   #8
Roberta

I insisted my dealer disabled this when I bought my V70. In my 850 I could turn it of myself.
I perceived it would lead to trouble by being construed as arrogance or harassment. Seems I was right!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 21:44   #9
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

I would rather suffer from a few ignorant people misunderstanding the reason for my dimmed/dipped headlights being on than suffer the fool who cannot see me and may put my life at risk, not withstanding the risk to his/her own life. Better to moan about the real fools driving about with foglights on in perfect visibility (which is, of course, against the law, which dimmed/dipped headlights are not). That is my opinion as a member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists, which is one of the foremost road safety organisations in the country. Better to be seen, than seen dead.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 00:17   #10
pettaw
Forum Support Team

We don't have DRL's in our aging 300 series (We DO have them on the V40), but I don't see it as a problem.

A simple flick of the switch to dim-dip in inclement weather is all that's required. Why should we have to drive with the headlights on in bright sunlight. Sorry, I don't see the need. Credit us with some intelligence to know when to use lights to assist with visiblity to other road users.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote