Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Opinions please on the state of this Expansion tank.

Views : 569

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 08:47   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default Opinions please on the state of this Expansion tank.

Opinions please on the state of this Expansion tank.

I have seen a 2007 XC90 D5 Geartronic that I'm interested in and it has done 120k with a very good service history and only a couple of owners although it is about 150 miles away.

The guy seems very genuine although not mechanically minded at all and states that the car has run faultlessly during his 3 years of ownership and has been maintained regardless of cost at a respected Volvo independent.

On looking at a photo of the engine bay I noticed that the expansion tank seems to be stained inside at the top and for me that is worrying.

Obviously a lengthy test drive would show up any overheating issues but I'm wondering if there has been a previous overheating issue or cross contamination of oil and water from the oil cooler?

Your thoughts please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpeg - Copy.jpg (75.6 KB, 70 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 09:02   #2
jamie1131

looks fine to me. Mine (2007 D5 185 XC90) was similar and it never had any overheating issues or any oil mixing with coolant. I think its just staining over time. Also worth mentioning that mine had the coolant changed every two years according to the service history and it was still like that.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:55   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

I'm not convinced Jamie, my 2005 XC70 D5 has 180K on the clock and the expansion tank is stain free above the coolant level.

I really don't think it is normal although it could well have had a transmission oil cooler leak which has since been sorted but the tank not cleaned.

I may give this one a miss, still undecided whether to view it or not bearing in mind the distance but the rest of the car is lovely.

Old Jan 19th, 2018, 00:20   #4
Swedefarm

I’d say, your mind has already been made up, of course he seems genuine, he has a potential sale.

I’d say leave it there and wait for another to come along.

If it doesn’t feel right in your head & heart then leave it there....

Not much help but I wouldn’t wish it to be a burden on anybody..
Swedefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 04:48   #5
canis
Non Fragile

It's a ten year old car, for goodness sake! The bottle doesn't look that stained, I've yet to own a car that didn't have at least some staining, and most have had far more than that. Almost all have had orange soup for coolant.

In some ways, I'd be more worried if it was immaculately clean. What did they churn through the engine to clean it? I've heard of people putting dishwasher tablets in them. I've never tried it myself, but when I cleaned some aluminium in my dishwasher it came out different, non-shiny and dull, which means it must be having at least some corrosive effect. I suppose it's not the end of the world, I mean, nobody's going to be praising the shinyness of my engine's internal coolant passages, but if the corrosion sludge doesn't get removed then it must still be in there. Frankly, I'd rather have a stained bottle than that.

You don't say what you'll be paying for it, nor if you'll be obliged to buy before travelling to see it (i.e. ebay), so I would be unwilling to either advise or not advise buying it. Like all things, what is it worth to you?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:05   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

No, it's a private sale Canis so no obligation to buy. Price wise it's correctly priced, not cheap not expensive and room for negotiation.

I realise that it's ten year old BUT my XC70 D5 which is older and has a lot more miles on is not like that. That tank has at some time been full to the top and residue has remained. Question is Why was it full to the top?

I'm ringing the Volvo Independent garage that has looked after it for most of it's life this morning ( at the suggestion of the owner ) to see whether it has had a failed transmission oil cooler or head gasket at some time and make a decision from there.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 19th, 2018 at 08:08.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 13:21   #7
Scooser

My 2009 MY V70 D5 coolant was all yellowy-brown after about 6 years of use. Changed it with Volvo stuff and it’s been lovely and green ever since.

Volvo state this does not requiring changing, but there’s plenty of posts on here where the coolant in the late noughties has not held up well. Do a search and you’ll find plenty of posts about the coolant being in poor condition on late noughties cars.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 16:38   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Thanks everyone, mystery solved!

I got in touch with the Volvo Independent that have serviced this car for the last 8 years.

They gave me chapter and verse what it has had done to it whilst in their care and lo and behold in 2012 the Oil cooler went and contaminated the coolant. This was before the current owner bought it.

New Oil Cooler, New coolant and New expansion tank but the manager at the garage said that it was always almost impossible to get the cooling system entirely clean when this happens hence why the new tank has residue in it.

If I do buy it I will do a coolant change and clean the tank.

Feel better about the car now .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: