Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with an XC70, reviewer hated it

Views : 5765

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2017, 22:08   #21
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

What upgrade did you use ? Seems to work wonders.

Are those fuel figures real or from the cars computer ? Computer lies by 20% or more in my limited experience.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 08:27   #22
Rich850R
Master Member

Amazes me these review sometimes, we tow with a 2004 D5 manual sport pre dpf, 163bhp, as I've eluded to on another thread we do circa 2.5 towing yearly with our 26ft twin axle van, albeit a light van for the size coming in at 1600kg loaded, the D5 is perfect, it has even got us out the mire en route to Cornwall for new year when we were stuck on the A34 near Newbury for 4 hours as the snow came down and the road was blocked with stuck cars, vans and lorries, the D5 dragged us through with relative ease, no winter tyres on the old girl either, it's spacious if a little short of leg room in the rear but I'm driving so I don't mind!!

I tow at 60mph all day long up hill and down dale, never misses a beat even in adverse weather and strong winds, no tail wagging the dog here, that said never underestimate a well packed car and caravan and running correct tyre pressures, 30mpg return with a van and 42 around town solo, on a run solo we get early to mid 50s

I can only image the XC being even better to tow with!
Rich850R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 14:20   #23
Alecm

I have a 2010 (2011 model year) XC70 SE premium D5 AWD geartronic. It's simply great for towing. I get around 28 mpg towing and around 32 mpg not towing. My caravan is a small Silver caravan, small and light. I am of course disappointed with the fuel consumption, and even more disappointed that the trip computer lies about the average mpg, by a very consistent amount. Car manufacturers are not saints, that's for sure. But as a tow car, it's superb. No complaints. Reliability is another matter.
I love the Hill Descent Control. Great for moving off / on a wet grassy field. I also like the Geartronic "manual" setting, for holding say 3rd gear going up hairpin bends in French or Spanish mountains.
How are you getting on with yours?
Alecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 13:55   #24
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Any one for a wallow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
OK mines a 2wd xc70 but I have no problem towing a 1460kg caravan. Running solo I have no idea what folk who reccon they wallow are talking about. I live in a county with no motorways and 1.5 miles of dual carriageway which has a 40 mph limit, A and B roads can be driven with vigor and enjoyed, without any floating or roll, just firmly planted and making progress even on normal Fo Mo Co suspension and shocks.
Great car, supurb tow car and does everything I want from it, just watch yourself on motorways even when towing or use cruise control as inatention can see you well into ilegal speeds before you know it.

Paul.
Hello Paul,came across this whilst browsing,It would probably be "before your time" as I imagine you are bit younger than I am. The people complaining about wallowing, have not experienced real wallowing unless they have had the,Pleasure? of driving,especially if trying to press on a bit, A Ford Zephyr/Zodiac MK4. Now those babies knew how to wallow!!
I am not talking about old/tired motors.they were like it from new.
Good luck with the Six Nations.
Regards,Keith