Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 T v S60 T5 fuel consumption

Views : 1028

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2018, 08:24   #1
ALBERT10

Default S60 T v S60 T5 fuel consumption

Am I right in thinking there doesn't seem to be much difference in mpg between the S60 T and the T5? So if buying one might as well get the proper T5?

Seems to be a lot more S60 T for sale than T5. Obviously would have been cheaper to buy and maybe some tax reasons with the engine being only 2 litre.

What are the differences between the T and T5?
ALBERT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 10:30   #2
V70Craig

This is the for sale section. You would likely get more response posting in the general section below.

As far as your query goes I'd say there isn't a huge difference in MPG between the 2 cars.
At the moment my T5 is averaging around 26 round the doors which given the power and weight of the car is pretty impressive.

Going from memory when I ran quotes before I bought mine there isn't a massive difference in insurance prices either.
It might also be worth factoring in the cost of road tax if cost is a concern when buying, not sure if the 2.0 is any cheaper but it's worth checking.
Currently my 02 T5 is £315 tax annually.

For an idea of how many T5's are left check out https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/, it might give you an idea of what you are up against in finding the car you want.
Current:
2002 S60 T5 SE Manual 116k
V70Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Craig For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 21:08   #3
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for either model then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 21:57   #4
steadvex
Master Member

Not a huge amount, unless your always flooring it!

personally I prefer the 2.0 T over the T5, I just feel its a nicer engine to drive with.

T5 has a nicer badge tho!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 22:18   #5
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
Not a huge amount, unless your always flooring it!

personally I prefer the 2.0 T over the T5, I just feel its a nicer engine to drive with.

T5 has a nicer badge tho!
But a smaller engine 2 litre versus 2.3? I was thinking on a heavy car 2 litre a bit small? The S70 had a 2 litre option a non turbo one, but everybody said to avoid it as was underpowered for size of car and hard to work harder to shift the lump so fuel economy was no better than the bigger engines.

T5s much rarer to find for sale,whereas quite a lot of T ones for sale.

I guess not so many people have driven owned both to compare the two. Usually people would just want the car that was fasted and had the higher bhp and assume that was the better one to get.

Did you change from a T to a T5 or other way round?
ALBERT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 22:53   #6
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT10 View Post
But a smaller engine 2 litre versus 2.3? I was thinking on a heavy car 2 litre a bit small? The S70 had a 2 litre option a non turbo one, but everybody said to avoid it as was underpowered for size of car and hard to work harder to shift the lump so fuel economy was no better than the bigger engines.

T5s much rarer to find for sale,whereas quite a lot of T ones for sale.

I guess not so many people have driven owned both to compare the two. Usually people would just want the car that was fasted and had the higher bhp and assume that was the better one to get.

Did you change from a T to a T5 or other way round?
the non turbo s70 is completely different to the 2.0T in the S60, engine size isn't so important as cars move on, you can get an S80 with a 1.6 diesel which will chug along quite nicely and put the old 2.3 petrols to shame!

I haven't owned either but driven both variants a lot, its hard to describe, I just feel like the 2.0T is nicer to drive, wouldn't say its faster just nicer, feels a lot smoother. There is plenty of power in it, also quite a gain from a remap should you feel its lacking. However if it is pure power your after obviously the T5 will be a better choice!

Ideally try both, but personally I prefer the smaller engine
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 14:03   #7
SteveP
300 Maniac

I have an S60 2.0T (previously owned an S60 D5) and at the time would've liked a later 2.4 T5 manual but they were very difficult to find in reasonable condition.

In the end I opted for a very late 2008 2.0T and the last of the line SE Lux cars are highly specced, eg. Premium Stereo, Active Bi-Xenons, Electric Seats, etc. I used to own an S70 2.5 20v (170) and feel the turbocharged 2.0T has appreciably more mid-range torque.

Would I prefer more power? Yes - the 2.0T feels a bit flat, especially if you carry passengers regularly but I also feel as though it's a good compromise (much smoother, less NVH than the diesel cars) and doesn't tax the traction/chassis too much.

As for running costs I doubt there's much in it - tax will be the same, maintenance very similar as it's essentially a similar engine setup. If you were to find two identical cars I'd always opt for the T5 (or 2.4T) but finding one can be tricky!

You could always remap the 2.0T for an extra 40bhp...!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote