Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stolen 960

Views : 982

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 12:08   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
With the best will in the world, 960’s aren’t worth a lot of money at the moment so unless this was a concours car or held special family meaning £250 seems like a big reward to pay which sets my alarm bells ringing.
There is a scam gong at the moment which involves buying something but someone else uses their PayPal details, something to do with the way refunds are done. Can’t remenber the details but it’s happening with bikes.

If it doesn’t seem right then it probably isn’t, there are so many ways to scam people that are new it’s bonkers.
That's what i was thinking Rob - i'd heard of a similar scam, not sure exactly how it works but the person whose Paypal account is used says they never got the item so they get a refund. As they aren't connected to the actual sale in any way except their account was used to pay for it, they then become entitled to a refund. Not sure other than that.

I'd have a wild guess the £250 is the guys excess on the theft part of his policy and his insurers have said they won't pay out unless he recovers the car.

Thing is, 9xxs in general aren't worth a wild amount, pay with Paypal as above, get the documents and sell it on - they've already had a refund of the original purchase price and then sell it "cash only" so they make twice their money.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 18:49   #12
rwdkev
VOC member

I also think this is a bit fishy! The advert has been posted before. I distinctly remember it from last year. Notice there's no mention of when the original "theft" took place......
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:13   #13
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

More info...I asked him what the circumstances of the theft were and he said:

Hi Phil.
in short it was a bounced cheque!

I had it advertised on ebay bit i did not sell
next day he rang me and made an offer £1200 that i reluctantly accepted
told him to pay funds in to my bank which he did 10-08-2018
asked my kids (19 yr olds) to check the the bank account and funds had landed
I and my wife where on holiday in spain and as out of the country could not see
the full bank statement! he had paid in BUT it was a cheque that i could not see
on my limited account access! and they did not know the difference
He sent a car transport company to pick up the car on 14-08-2018.
AND OF COURSE THE CHEQUE BOUNCED ON THE 15-08-2018
I got back from holiday on 16-08-18 called him and to my surprise he answered my call,
then i got all the "O" I will This And I Will That , to pay for the car but to NO effect
he answered my calls and text for the first week but not after that!
I did report it to the Police and action fraud I have all the report Numbers
the car is on the stolen car register.
My ad has come up with others that have bean scammed by this man
I am in constant touch with one *************
Please contact him and ask about THE SAID MAN
he has been after him longer than ME !
‘88 745 GL B200E M47

Last edited by tt82; Jan 18th, 2019 at 21:12. Reason: Email address removed on request of owner.
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:37   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The thot plickens!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:50   #15
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I know he should get his money but letting a car go before a cheque has cleared is pretty dumb.
To be honest accepting a cheque at all is pretty stupid, a few years ago I worked in retail and pretty much every cheque we took (wasn't many, was a big DIY store and even 10 years ago we were only taking 1 or 2 cheques a week at most) was checked via the bank to ensure the purchaser had the funds to back up the cheque.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 19:49   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Please beware. Many or most fraudsters are very plausible. They often have the knack of "reading" people and how people are most vulnerable to be conned. Like highly successful sales people often have the knack of reading potential customers.

IF there is any scam then it probably relies on the person offering the reward building up a relationship of trust with some of the people who respond sympathetically to the online request for information about the alleged thief.

Then the person offering the reward tells their new friend individually that .... how wonderful .... someone is offering definite information to find the car, but .... the person offering the reward needs to borrow the £250 .... please. And this must be kept quiet so as not to alert the alleged car thief, &c. &c. &c.

One such "loan" is a result. A number of such "loans" is a larger result.

Go do the arithmetic.

And/Or the alleged scammer might be trying to get the bank details of the sympathisers. &c. &c. &c.

P.S. I suspect that with the information provided most inquiry agents could find that alleged thief very quickly for a fee similar to the amount of reward being offered. If the alleged thief exists.

But be sure they do it legally otherwise the customer is liable for the agent's actions.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:04   #17
Forrest
VOC Member

The guy who posted the reward ad appears to have been selling other cars on eBay last year and looks genuine enough. On eBay since 2006, 100% feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-MI...-/162952714052

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-480...-/163113281560
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: