Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door cards

Views : 1071

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 14:48   #1
slowprop

Default Door cards

Guys,

Can anyone give me some tips or instructions on how to remove the door cards on 940 estate. I'm considering getting the creases dealt with Thanks.

Robin
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:14   #2
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowprop View Post
Guys,

Can anyone give me some tips or instructions on how to remove the door cards on 940 estate. I'm considering getting the creases dealt with Thanks.

Robin

I found a really good youtube video with a guy taking a doorcard off a saloon.

I think I just googled removing doorcards from Volvo 940. Easier than trying to explain.

I also found a link to caps that glue on toi cover the wrinkles which looked quite good
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:17   #3
griston64
Premier Member

These https://www.ronaldjan.com/panelpads
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:50   #4
Chooch84
940 Noob

At the bottom of the door card you should some recesses, this is where the white clips which hold the door card in place live. You'll also find that the red puddle/door card light cover also acts as a clip to lock the door card in place, as well as the speaker grills which slide off...

To removed the clips a the bottom, you just need to use a small flat screw drive to act as a pry bar, and be patient as they can wonder... It's more or less the same situation with the light cover... just be patient!

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:08   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you can run to the extra expense Robin, invest in a trim button tool. It's like a screwdriver with a slot in it, slide it in so the trim button sits centrally in the slot then lever it to pop the button out - much less risk of breaking the trim buttons that way!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pc-Trim-...9/121354708777

That's a set of 4 for about half what i paid for a single Snap-On one about 30 years ago! Well worth the investment, if only to save the frustration of broken trim buttons!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 14:22   #6
slowprop

Thanks Guys,

I hadn't realised you can buy a kit. Actually they look quite good. Have any of you used one of these kits and were you pleased with the result ?

Since I first posted this I've spoken to a local trimmer who says he might be able to heat up and stretch and glue the original vinyl back down. Or failing that he says he can recover with black vinyl which should look OK I think as some of the interior plastics etc are black. I'm thinking he will probably end up recovering.

Cost is going to be £200 if he can repair the original vinyl or £300 if he as to recover. That's for all 4 doors. Plus he will take off the door cards and replace.

So it's more expensive than the repair kit. Which is going to be just under 100 Euros delivered.

I'm guessing that the repair kit will do an OK job but the trimmers will do a more professional looking job than I would do with a repair kit.

The rest of the interior is immaculate. I've spent ages this week steam cleaning the boot and spare wheel and all the interior plastics. Steam cleaning the leather seats and treating them with leather cleaner and shampooing the carpets and mats. It really does look great inside now and the door cards are letting it down.

EDIT - on further inspection the wrinkles are not just along the top. On a couple of doors the vinyl is loose at the side near the top. So I don't think the kit is going to work very well for me.

Last edited by slowprop; Jan 19th, 2019 at 14:59.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 15:11   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys,

I hadn't realised you can buy a kit. Actually they look quite good. Have any of you used one of these kits and were you pleased with the result ?

Since I first posted this I've spoken to a local trimmer who says he might be able to heat up and stretch and glue the original vinyl back down. Or failing that he says he can recover with black vinyl which should look OK I think as some of the interior plastics etc are black. I'm thinking he will probably end up recovering.

Cost is going to be £200 if he can repair the original vinyl or £300 if he as to recover. That's for all 4 doors. Plus he will take off the door cards and replace.

So it's more expensive than the repair kit. Which is going to be just under 100 Euros delivered.

I'm guessing that the repair kit will do an OK job but the trimmers will do a more professional looking job than I would do with a repair kit.

The rest of the interior is immaculate. I've spent ages this week steam cleaning the boot and spare wheel and all the interior plastics. Steam cleaning the leather seats and treating them with leather cleaner and shampooing the carpets and mats. It really does look great inside now and the door cards are letting it down.

EDIT - on further inspection the wrinkles are not just along the top. On a couple of doors the vinyl is loose at the side near the top. So I don't think the kit is going to work very well for me.

I think those prices seem ok. Although if you aren't in a rush you can get a set of good doorcards for around £100 ( some thieving **** will try to rip you off for more )but you might have to wait a while for a set to come up.

I was going to go for caps to start with. If I thought they were good that's fine, if not they would do for time being till i could find a set. Luckily while I was still swithering on caps I found an good set of unwrinkled doorcards from a breaker car.
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 15:16   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys,

First of all Robin, i'm surprised yours aren't leather if the seats are! I know mine are leather so it sounds as if the local trimmer may be selling you short. Secondly, it's unusual for vinyl to shrink and wrinkle like that - leather quite often does though.

There is a more cost effective option and that is find some good door cards in leather. Doesn't matter what colour, with a little time, patience, a hairdryer and some leather colour, you can get them the colour you want/need and maybe even refresh the rest of the car while you're at it.

To give you an idea :

Leather door card inserts on my 827 Sterling. I can find the links later if you like for the leather recolour stuff, think it was about £30 all in for the prep solution, colour and sealer/finish coat. Three finishes are available, matt, gloss and satin - i went for satin as i felt it looked the most natural. Matt looked "uncared for" IMHO and gloss looked like gloss paint!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 15:49   #9
slowprop

Dave,

Looks good.

Mine are a kind of plasticy vinyl.

This isn't absolutely urgent. There are a couple of jobs ahead of this. And if a good set of door cards come up then it's an option so I will keep my eyes open.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 16:27   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Hiya as Mark said above don't pay stupid money for the door cards, I sold a pair of front door cards from my breaker that had no wrinkles at all for £50.

I have a set of rear door cards for manual windows with a small amount of wrinkling and I would only expect a tenner each for them, so don't buy in to the overinflated eBay prices.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: