Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to charge battery from under the hood

Views : 19988

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:37   #11
switcher
switcher

I use a battery charger with a cigar lighter type plug on the leads instead of crocodile clips and simply plug that into 12v socket in the boot.
switcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:47   #12
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volitiveflyer View Post
I am a dunderheid. I didn't know Volvo did such a stupid thing as burying a battery in the boot? So would a jumpstart unit work on these contact things that are under the bonnet?

Curious
F
They made the contacts under the bonnet specifically for jump starts and charging. On the right hand side of the engine (as you're looking at it with the bonnet open) is the fuse box and just behind that is a tilting flap with a big plus on it. Connect the postive charger or jump start lead to the connection under this. On the left hand side of the engine is the earth point for the negative lead.

Jump starting

Follow these instructions to jump start your car's dead battery or to jump start another car's dead battery using your car. Although your car's battery is located under the floor of the trunk, jumper cables should be connected in the engine compartment, to the points shown in the illustrations.
If the 12-volt auxiliary battery to be used is in another car, check that the cars are not touching to prevent premature completion of a circuit. Be sure to follow jump starting instructions provided for the other vehicle.

To jump start your car (see attached pic):

Switch off the ignition.
First connect the auxiliary battery positive (+) terminal (1) to the positive (+) terminal in your car's engine compartment (2), located under a small black plastic cover attached to the fuse box cover, marked with a "+" sign. Remove the cover on the main fuse box if necessary to access this terminal. Then connect the auxiliary battery's negative (-) terminal (3) to the ground point in your car's engine compartment (4).
Start the engine in the assisting car, then start the engine in the car with dead battery.
After the engine has started, first remove the negative (-) terminal jumper cable. Then remove the positive (+) terminal jumper cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jumpstart.jpg (29.8 KB, 38 views)

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Apr 27th, 2007 at 08:48. Reason: Remove double quote
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:52   #13
JackT5

Damn...you had to do it and post the jumpstart info..how can i refuse my neighbour now. Joking aside, thanks for posting it as this week has been chaotic and i hadn't been able to search for it.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 23:16   #14
ghill

Default flat battery

thanks for the help - had a flat battery and didn't mnow if I could charge it up using a charger using the contact point you'd use to jump start. The alarm did go off a few times and its late at night - sure the naighbours are awake now
thanks
Geoff
ghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 17:15   #15
jeastham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post

To jump start your car (see attached pic):
The attached pic, now links to a 1 pixel by 1 pixel GIF. Could the image be re-uploaded?

Thanks in advance

Regards
jeastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 18:15   #16
marcb
Master Member

The last post was 12 years ago...

no doubt it was the graphic on this page:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/.../04v70_06b.htm
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 18:35   #17
oragex
Premier Member

Have the ignition Key in POS II and headlight switch to ON. Careful not to touch the alligators - it is better to have a helper. Carefully disconnect the cables as soon as the engine fires up, take it for a 15-20 min drive to recharge the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-11-18_021816_Engine-md.jpg (299.7 KB, 11 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 16:52   #18
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
take it for a 15-20 min drive to recharge the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieG View Post
Glad you got in OK! Just driving the car around for 20-30 mins should be enough to charge it up.
You might need more time. I bought my Volvo with a flat battery, started it with external battery, drove home for an hour and parked it.
Next day it wouldn't start. Put a 10A powersuppky on it for 24 hours and the battery worked fine for years after this. I only replaced it as a precaution and it is still used with a solar panel (>10 years later).

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post: