Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 63260

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2019, 08:28   #211
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
All very sensible - but how about, to begin with, given that it can be started remotely via the app, but not unlocked or driven until approached with the key, surely that same tech could be easily adapted to say, not allow the car to be driven without the key being in the car, so even if a thief gets it started via a scanner, it’ll be of no use to him if he can’t enter or drive it away?
Or am I in a fantasy world...?!
Thats the one i never understood. I always presumed that with the keyless start cars that once the car moved if the key was not there as soon as they press the brake it would kill the power. Seems like such an obvious and simple fix, would make stealing a lot harder as then you would need to properly clone the key not just mirror the transmission.
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobQuads For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 16:48   #212
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
I agree; for the limited extra convenience afforded by keyless entry I would prefer no keyless entry but with keyless start.

My next car will not have keyless entry.

Mine doesn't have it. I ordered mine without it. And of course it was not due to any kind of money problems. I thought and i studied my car for weeks and what was important and less important. I chose my extras in order to create what i believe to be a very balanced and priority extras generally speaking. And keyless entry is not something that seduces me. I have no keyless entry or either alarm. Only the normal central locking command key. But of course it can be also stolen. There are no miracles that will prevent you from being also a possible victim one of these days.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jan 21st, 2019 at 16:53.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 19:37   #213
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
I ordered mine without it.
After reading about the risks of keyless entry, I also didn't order it. It was one of the reasons
that I started from the Momentum trim and added features that I liked, while I avoided things
I didn't care about or really didn't want.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 21:37   #214
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
After reading about the risks of keyless entry, I also didn't order it. It was one of the reasons
that I started from the Momentum trim and added features that I liked, while I avoided things
I didn't care about or really didn't want.
same here

i only regret to be honest not having those lights under door handles and that comes only with keyless entry option. I think it doesn't add so much functionality unless you are in the middle of nowhere at night and you need to get out of car or entering. It lights the floor and it gives a really cool sophisticated premium style, a unique touch to the car at night. Besides that i think keyless entry has nothing to regret for.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jan 21st, 2019 at 21:39.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 15:59   #215
AWM

Quote:
same here

i only regret to be honest not having those lights under door handles and that comes only with keyless entry option. I think it doesn't add so much functionality unless you are in the middle of nowhere at night and you need to get out of car or entering. It lights the floor and it gives a really cool sophisticated premium style, a unique touch to the car at night. Besides that i think keyless entry has nothing to regret for.

The lighted handles are definitely cool. I don't understand all the negativity about keyless entry. it's the work of a moment to put the key into a blocking pouch bought for next to nothing off eBay when you come in. The overall convenience is wonderful, especially the tailgate opening kick if you have that feature.

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AWM For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 03:36   #216
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
The lighted handles are definitely cool. I don't understand all the negativity about keyless entry. it's the work of a moment to put the key into a blocking pouch bought for next to nothing off eBay when you come in.The overall convenience is wonderful, especially the tailgate opening kick if you have that feature.

AWM
I think it's annoyingly boring because we all know it's almost certain we'll not be able to open it at first time second third fourth and even fifth time! 😁 It's a waste of time.😁😁
The fact that you get near the car put your hand on the handle door and it opens is practical and quick. The button on the tailgate that closes all doors is also practical. But even so i wouldn't order keyless entry for myself.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jan 23rd, 2019 at 03:40.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 08:20   #217
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
I think it's annoyingly boring because we all know it's almost certain we'll not be able to open it at first time second third fourth and even fifth time! 😁 It's a waste of time.😁😁
If you are referring to opening the tailgate with the 'kick', then I have found it very effective and reliable. When I first had the car I couldn't get it to work. Once I had found where the sensor is and realising it is a gentle swing of the leg under the car at by the first O of Volvo it works every time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 15:11   #218
AWM

Quote:
The fact that you get near the car put your hand on the handle door and it opens is practical and quick. The button on the tailgate that closes all doors is also practical. But even so i wouldn't order keyless entry for myself.

Works every time for me.

Like others have said, kick between the V and the O and make sure you step back, or are far enough back, to not block the action.

I agree the closing button with car locking function is good.

Each to his own.

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AWM For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 09:36   #219
Mike44

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Just purchased the Stoplock Pro from Amazon on offer @ £49.95 that i will use when parking in cities/places that I consider to be risky. Whilst it will not 100% stop the thieves, it will slow them down with a greater chance of being noticed so many professionals will move on to an easier vehicle......or that's my theory!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XP21D...692&th=1&psc=1
On Amazon prime down to £38.98 today only?
Mike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:37   #220
weemark

Just a quick reminder to check your Faraday pouch - washed the car this morning and normally have the key in the pouch to stop the doors locking and unlocking. They were doing this this morning and I could lock and unlock the doors myself even with the key in the secure area of the pouch so it's clearly worn out - a couple of new ones on order
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote