Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS rings

Views : 20558

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2018, 22:06   #61
Namo Amituofo

Dear all

I'm fairly new to this forum (and to mechanics) - had a disastrous day today thanks to my XC90's ABS warning - and found this thread on Google. I wonder - if my car's problems are caused by ABS ring? Please could you take a moment to read details below and give me your thoughts? Any tips would be much much appreciated!

For my very old 2004 XC90 T6 - I've recently replaced serpentine belt and tensioner/pulley - and for this job I removed ECM TCM modules as otherwise the tight clearance made the job literally impossible. I used a ECM/TCM removal tool and disconnected battery negative on a cold engine before the job. After the job, I reconnected battery and turned ignition to position II - did a test drive and all seemed OK.

Today I had the 3rd trip after the job mentioned above - and I was stuck in really bad traffic for 45 min - I pretty much didn't use the gas pedal as could just rely in pressing/releasing the brake to move at that slow speed. Then - suddenly - ignition was playing a bit funny - it was 'auto switching' off/on itself multiple times (sorry don't know the technical language for this) - at first I thought it was due to engine being idle for too long - but then the frequency increased to once every 30 seconds also - at which time 'airbag service urgent' warning message also showed up.

I continued to drive (in bad traffic) - and suddenly the 'brake failure stop safely' message came up - at which point I lost all electronics - gear light was gone, DIM was gone, and signal lights not working - but the engine was still running and I was able to accelerate / brake just like normal. However once cleared of the traffic jam I had to pull over (without being able to signal...!) to switch off and on ignition - which gave life back to all electronics - only to get the same 'brake failure stop safely' message again within a couple of minutes...

Luckly when the above happened I was close to home - still had to stop / switch off/on ignition 4 times to get home - and did all this with our little baby aboard!! I remained calm and get us back home safely eventually.

Some FACTS:
- Starter motor, starter switch and ignition barrel was changed in Feb 2017 (by previous owner)
- Brakes were serviced late last year (by a good local shop) - all working fine
- I've recently disconnected ECM/TCM and reconnected them - car did two trips afterwards - both fine
- The aforementioned problems started with ignition playing funny - then 'airbag' warning message - then 'brake failure' warning message - then loss of all electronics.

my SUSPICION:
- The car had been stuck in bad traffic before (albeit just for a few minutes - not as bad as today's) and was fine
- the only thing had changed was ECM/TCM disconnection/reconnection - could I have messed up something with my amateur job?
- ABS ring failure as described in this thread?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Namo Amituofo
Namo Amituofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 06:05   #62
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You may be suffering a DIM bad solder joint problem, and you can get your DIM fixed in London for a very good price, see here:

https://volvodiagnostic.com/shop/ind...duct&id_lang=1
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 17:41   #63
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

There are a number of electrical corrosion issues that it could be. I would advise taking it to Charlwood Volvo. http://charlwoodautomotive.com/

Peter Suchy is brilliant at diagnosing and fixing electronic faults and will probably save you money in the long run.

Roy
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:32   #64
Namo Amituofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
There are a number of electrical corrosion issues that it could be. I would advise taking it to Charlwood Volvo. http://charlwoodautomotive.com/

Peter Suchy is brilliant at diagnosing and fixing electronic faults and will probably save you money in the long run.

Roy
Thank you! Very good to finally know of an independent Volvo guy!

Have found this post - think the problems are very similar to what I experienced - so first and foremost will try to clean contacts in ECM/TCM - also ordered VIDA to further diagnose.
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 09:34   #65
Namo Amituofo

Here is an update - I just cleaned contacts in ECM/TCM (noticed the ECM purple plastic holding tabs have almost 'rounded' where the ECU removal tool inserts - so suspect it was removed multiple times before mytime).

Upon reconnection battery, turned key to position II - still had engine light, engine light, and ABS light on. Turned key to ignition - all these lights were out. I then drove around the neighbourhood (up to 30 mph) - no problems.

What I don't know is - if the problems would recur - if so I'm almost certain can rule out ECM/TCM connector issue - as these are in top condition - no corrosion whatsoever - yet I still gave them a good cleaning today.

So will drive on a bit to see if problems recur.

Will follow up as and when.

Many thanks all - I really appreciate it!

Namo Amituofo