Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 or T4 and more

Views : 3886

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2014, 08:23   #1
Adders

Default D3 or T4 and more

Hi All,

I've driven a D2 and loved the car but felt I would like a bit more grunt from pulling away. So I thought I would go for a D3.

Until recently I had never heard of a DPF and after research I really feel that a diesel isn't perhaps the best car for us. My wife will mostly be using the car on loads of short runs. I have just read that diesel cars of 2ltr and above only have DPF. Is this true? Does the D2 not have a DPF?

Assuming the V40 diesels have DPF are they really the problem that the press say? Bearing in mind our many short journeys.

Upon looking for a petrol V40 I have discovered that they hold their price better than the diesel! Now I am confused!! Is this just down to rarity? Any opinions on this?

Thank you for reading
Adders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:02   #2
tickedon
Master Member

A DPF depends on the Euro emissions standard an engine meets. Every Euro V engine (more or less) onwards will have a DPF. All of the Volvo V40 Diesel engines have a DPF, including the D2.

A DPF can cause problems if you only do short journeys at low speeds with lots of stop/start. However, the problem is worse with older engines and older-style DPFs. The DPF regenerates when you get the engine hot enough, which typically means 30 minute runs on some good road at a steady high-ish speed.

The D2 is a PSA/Ford engine and in some other cars, has had quite a lot of problems in other cars that use it, although there aren't really many reported with the Volvo variant. I would personally stick with the D3, which is a Volvo designed engine. I have the 136bhp D3 in an S60 which is absolutely great at pulling away, so the 150bhp 'D3' in the V40 would be brilliant.

You might find this helpful: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Last edited by tickedon; Apr 7th, 2014 at 09:06.
tickedon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tickedon For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 21:58   #3
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I am sure that the D3 is a great engine (we have the D4 which is the same engine except more power) as long as you are quick... As of week 20 Volvo will introduce the new VEA engines for the D4 and T5 and the D3 should follow quickly after that!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 00:30   #4
JamieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvoid0942
I am sure that the D3 is a great engine (we have the D4 which is the same engine except more power) as long as you are quick... As of week 20 Volvo will introduce the new VEA engines for the D4 and T5 and the D3 should follow quickly after that!

As a newcomer I have seen the vea engine mentioned all over the place, is this a better or worse engine than the current d3/d4 options? I am Locked in to my current car now (a d3), but it would be nice to know what was out there.
Thanks
JamieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 09:05   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieM View Post
As a newcomer I have seen the vea engine mentioned all over the place, is this a better or worse engine than the current d3/d4 options? I am Locked in to my current car now (a d3), but it would be nice to know what was out there.
Thanks

Better or worse I think is difficult to say until one have tested them. I have not. But on paper, they seem alot better in terms of power, performance and mpg. The only negative point I can see is the fact that the new VEA engines are 4-cyl instead of 5-cyl like todays D3/D4/D5 but saying that, the engine design dates back since forever (20 yrs?)....

The D4 we have is essentially the same engine as your D4, just with a different amount of bhp, AFAIK and is, IMO, a great engine. Lots of low down grunt, 5-cyl warble and plenty of power when needed. In fact, I find the D4 to be a gem!

The new VEA engine lineup for the V40 range is supposed to be:

T2 - 120bhp
T3 - 150bhp
T4 - 181bhp
T5 - 245bhp

D2 - 120bhp
D3 - 150bhp
D4 - 181bhp

And of course, the new 8-speed auto (GT).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 12:00   #6
Adders

Default Topic

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies but few seem to be on topic.

Are DPF's the elephant in the room that no one wishes to talk about as most V40 owners have them!?

Why are petrol versions holding their price better than diesel?

Is it simply that there aren't that many about or do punters see diesels as expensive to run 2nd hand?

I'm not trying to rattle any cages I just would like to hear opinions from V40 owners not motoring journalist.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 17:17   #7
scw

As I understand it, DPFs require a periodic regeneration cycle where fuel is
injected during the exhaust stroke which then burns in the filter. This raises
the filter temperature to the point where the particulates burn off.

The regeneration cycle occurs roughly once per tank of fuel and requires a
warm engine and several miles of driving to complete. I know this because the
effect on my XC60's instantaneous fuel consumption makes it pretty obvious
when it's happening!

So a DPF-equipped car which is used for mainly short journeys *might* be
susceptible to the filter getting clogged because either the engine fails to warm
up sufficiently for the cycle to start, or the cycle is interrupted prematurely.

This is the reason why we plumped for the T4 V40 rather than the diesel
version, since it is used primarily for short journeys.

I have no idea if this accounts for the difference in used prices of V40s.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 08:47   #8
Adders

Default More info

Hi All,

Having consulted with a friend of mine he pointed me to this report.
It's well worth a read.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/diesel_filter.shtml

I would still be interested to hear opinions on why petrol V40's are holding their price better than the diesels.
Examples of cars with the same spec just different engines. There aren't any T3's for sale that I can find of MY12/13
2012 petrol T4 £19k
2013 diesel D3 £18k
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 21:32   #9
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adders View Post
I think that's quite an old article now and a bit out of date.

Quote:
I would still be interested to hear opinions on why petrol V40's are holding their price better than the diesels.
Examples of cars with the same spec just different engines. There aren't any T3's for sale that I can find of MY12/13
2012 petrol T4 £19k
2013 diesel D3 £18k
Without knowing exact age and spec, it may have something to do with list prices.

A V40 SE Lux T4 is list £27,170 vs £26,570 for equivalent D3. As both will likely depreciate at roughly the same rate, the petrol should always be a bit more expensive.
tickedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 20:13   #10
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Quote:
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies but few seem to be on topic.

Are DPF's the elephant in the room that no one wishes to talk about as most V40 owners have them!?

Why are petrol versions holding their price better than diesel?

Is it simply that there aren't that many about or do punters see diesels as expensive to run 2nd hand?

I'm not trying to rattle any cages I just would like to hear opinions from V40 owners not motoring journalist.
Hi, in answer to your question, yes all diesel V40's have a dpf, and unless you do long motorway journeys like I do in my 407 it isn't a good idea to buy a diesel. They are not as Eco as you think and they make some nasty emissions. I only have the 407 as I can't afford to change it; no point now as it cost me so little and does 700 miles a week.

Having had a 1.6 HDi in my 307 before my 407, I can tell you it is a good engine is comparison to the VAG and Vx diesels, but unless you're doing 20-30k a year of motorway work, why would you even consider a diesel? Also the 1.6 isn't the most reliable of engines and has been around for 10 years now (it's had a refresh now with half the valves taken away, but the basic design is the same)and lots of peeps have issues with really bad economy due to software updates etc.

You should find a T2 or T3 a better choice IMO of course