Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recent Spotify update

Views : 2082

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2018, 21:43   #1
Milliner

Default Recent Spotify update

Ever mindful that this is a car forum first and foremost, but just wondering if anyone else has installed the recent Spotify ‘major’ update’?

It seems to have removed quite a few features such as the handy ‘+’ button, used to add a track (and with it the aritist and the album) to the library.

Also the list of artists is blank now too (though individual tracks and albums are still there), which I assume is a bug. Have tried the old delete/reinstall, but still an issue.

Can’t see the ‘go to artist’ or ‘go to album’ options for a track either which I’m 99% sure where there too...

Other than that, everything seems the same so it appears to be more of a downgrade at the moment.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 23:42   #2
Jcbrown

Applied the update last week, but not really been out much to see what is new with this ‘major’ upgrade

first (and brief) impression is not much, if anything has changed, but will check out the items you point out on some trips this week.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:28   #3
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
Applied the update last week, but not really been out much to see what is new with this ‘major’ upgrade

first (and brief) impression is not much, if anything has changed, but will check out the items you point out on some trips this week.
Looks like something is missing from the library tabs too, but to be fair if I don't know for sure, I can't have used it much in the first place...

Still waiting for Spotify voice integration in into the car, but fear that's possibly something for future Android systems.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:31   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
It seems to have removed quite a few features such as the handy ‘+’ button, used to add a track (and with it the artist and the album) to the library.
I never understood what the '+' button actually did as tracks are cached automatically anyway.

Quote:
Also the list of artists is blank now too (though individual tracks and albums are still there), which I assume is a bug. Have tried the old delete/reinstall, but still an issue.
I haven't looked at this.

Quote:
Can’t see the ‘go to artist’ or ‘go to album’ options for a track either which I’m 99% sure where there too...
They are still there as a drop-down arrow on the right of the track.

The only problem I've had is that playlist tracks were playing randomly rather than following the order in the list. Setting and then unsetting the random button fixed this.

On a long drive down from Scotland yesterday, I only got buffering on 2 occasions and even then only briefly so perhaps the update has brought improvements.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 11:00   #5
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I never understood what the '+' button actually did as tracks are cached automatically anyway.
It added a track name, the artist, and the album it came from to the Spotify library so you can see it later.

Handy if you hear something new from a Spotify playlist you fancy listening to more of later.

'Go to...' options definitely not available for me. Used to appear if you tapped a track in a list (the options would open up below IIRC)
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 12:25   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
'Go to...' options definitely not available for me. Used to appear if you tapped a track in a list (the options would open up below IIRC)
My bad; not there for me now either. I must've used it just before the update.

Looks like they've removed some functionality, perhaps to improve the overall experience in terms of reliability and speed.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 12:44   #7
Milliner

Quite possibly then. I imagine there are significantly more users now given the number of updated models released with the 'new' Sensus onboard.

Disappointing if that's the case though.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 16:28   #8
Bicax

Hi guys,

I use Spotify on a daily basis, and the new update seems to have made it a lot snappier.

It loads album art faster, navigating through menus is also faster and it hasn't been buffering nearly as much (extreme quality). Also, album art being displayed on the tachometer doesn't freeze anymore. And so far I have had zero freezes since the update (was happening quite often before, had to regularly switch to radio and back a couple of times).

The "go to album" and "go to artist" functions are gone, which is a huge pain in the XXX If you listen to a track you like and if you would like to hear more from that artist you now have to do a search, so it's no longer two clicks away...

With this being said, they were going at it the wrong way around and I prefer that they improve overall speed and stability first and THEN gradually add features.
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 17:31   #9
Milliner

I also find it's definitely more stable now, but has been for a little while in comparison to the original versions (back in 2016). They were awful. It took an age to load up and seemed to buffer more than it played. It also used data at the Extreme setting rate, even if set to Normal.

Still find it strange they removed some of the few basic features it did have though.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 10:10   #10
adambsmith

I have updated the app and it certainly seems more responsive.

However when I go to “Your Library” I can see songs in the Songs tab, albums in the Albums tab but nothing is shown in the Artists tab.

Anyone having the same issue?

Have deleted and reinstalled the app to no avail.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote