Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has anyone had any dealings with “MrMeringo” on this forum?

Views : 2839

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 20:34   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Has anyone had any dealings with “MrMeringo” on this forum?

Hi all,
A month ago I enquired on a post by MrMeringo (aka Tommy McNaught) on the Sales section regarding a set of headlamp wiper motors he was offering for sale.

He asked me to contact him via PM, so i did, enquiring as to whether he would split the set as I was just after a driver’s side unit. He told me he wouldn’t split them but had an extra driver’s side unit he would sell me.

We agreed a price and I sent him the funds via bank transfer. Two weeks went by and no sign of the motor, so i contacted him again to ask when I could expect it. He informed me that the unit he had was faulty but he was going to send another which was working. That was a fortnight ago and still nothing, and now he isn’t responding to my emails or PMs.

I have politely suggested that if he doesn’t have the part that I’d like a refund and we’d just forget about it, but no response.

Has anyone else had dealings with him? I see from his profile he’s been a member here for seven years which makes the whole thing even more curious.

I’m wondering if his account has been hacked and someone is up to no good.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 22:22   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You have a PM Phil!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:05   #3
bob12
bob12

Tommy has always been exceptionally reliable in the past and supplied excellent parts.

Tommy has not been in the best of health for a long time now and has recently suffered more severe problems with his health.

I also have an outstanding order with him. I trust that you will be patient and understanding as I am sure he will get them sent out.

I will endeavour to get him to respond.

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:16   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks for confirming what i thought Bob - the reason i took my (similar) response to PM was i didn't know if Tommys health was common knowledge and even less sure of the exact state of play with it at the moment.

Let's hope that's all it is and as soon as he is able, Tommy sorts it out and nothing more sinister is going on such as hacked accounts etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 12:21   #5
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks all. I’m happy to either wait for the part or take a refund, I was just concerned that the account of a user that appears to have a strong and trustworthy history has been hacked.

Prior to speaking with you both, I had no idea health was an issue or there might be an understandable delay...you can see why I was concerned!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:32   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Having trouble sending the second part of the PM Phil so here it is :

As for your wiper motor, the wiper arm shouldn't be stuck against the bumper!

There's a tab on the bottom of each headlamp, the purpose of that is to disable the headlamp wipers in snow to prevent burning the motors out. By moving the arm/blade under the tab, it puts the motor straight into overload so it trips the self-resetting thermal trip. However it's only meant for use in snow so if someone moved the wiper there and didn't bother putting it back where it should be, it's possible it's just jammed in that position. Also possible the spline drive has worn on the shaft or wiper arm so it's slipped into that position.

First thing to do really is unbolt the wiper arms from the headlamp wiper motors. Inspect the shaft and the hole for damage.
Now to test the motors, put some insulation tape round each shaft in a loop so it's sticky side in and make a sort of "P" shape with it. Doesn't have to be exact, as long as the tape forms a sort of arm, just to show it's moving.
Get someone to operate the wash/wipe while you watch each shaft and the tape on them. If you're lucky, both will work. Then it's just a matter of refitting the wiper arms in the parked position and checking the operation.

Hope that makes sense!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 17:49   #7
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Default Pologies

Hello to all, especially to you Phil.
Firstly, I have not done a vanishing act or anything to make it seem so, I have supplied many members with parts over the years and have never had any complaints, This is all my own fault for not keeping people updated. But sadly due to very bad health now and in the last few months i have spent many days and nights in hospital, Only a couple of people knew about this and i didn't feel it was anyone else's business, But i do owe you an explanation Phil. I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis a good while back and it is now getting worse and i have just let posting things off slip,your package is and has been ready to post off Phil and i will certainly make a point of sorting it out for you in the next few days, you are more than welcome to a refund if you prefer but as i say i will get it sent to you in the next few days.I can only apologise again for this and hope this episode will not put people off from buying from me. Again, I have lost count of the amount of people i have supplied with parts for there 740/940 and hope to carry on doing this for a long time to come. Many thanks to all. Tommy. ( Title should read Apologies and not pologies haha)
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 17:51   #8
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Thanks all. I’m happy to either wait for the part or take a refund, I was just concerned that the account of a user that appears to have a strong and trustworthy history has been hacked.

Prior to speaking with you both, I had no idea health was an issue or there might be an understandable delay...you can see why I was concerned!
Thanks Phil. Tommy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 17:53   #9
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Tommy has always been exceptionally reliable in the past and supplied excellent parts.

Tommy has not been in the best of health for a long time now and has recently suffered more severe problems with his health.

I also have an outstanding order with him. I trust that you will be patient and understanding as I am sure he will get them sent out.

I will endeavour to get him to respond.

Bob.
Thanks so much Bob, which reminds me, you are still waiting for you parts as well.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 18:00   #10
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks for confirming what i thought Bob - the reason i took my (similar) response to PM was i didn't know if Tommys health was common knowledge and even less sure of the exact state of play with it at the moment.

Let's hope that's all it is and as soon as he is able, Tommy sorts it out and nothing more sinister is going on such as hacked accounts etc.
Hi Dave, I have now contacted Phil regarding this, Thank you for your kind words, Tommy.