Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nice article

Views : 654

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 10:04   #1
slowprop

Default Nice article

I came across this and enjoyed reading it.

https://autoevoke.com/index.php?/art...e-classic-r96/

Seems this chap is confident we have a future classic.
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 12:58   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've long argued the point that the 7/9xx Volvos are classics in waiting, some not waiting now because of their age.

Look back through history and when the 140 series was new, it was a solid, reliable, family car. Enter the 240 series and values of the 140 dropped, due to age and something new to play with. They then hit banger territory and got to the point where you could barely give them away. Likewise similar happened to the 240 when the 740 was launched. Again, the 740 went through a similar cycle and is now beginning to be appreciated, as the 240 and 140 were before. The 9xx is probably at the bottom of its value at the moment although some are coming up nicely but is well on its way to joining classic status.

This pattern isn't unique to Volvos, look at the Jaguar XJ6 Series I, II and III models, they all followed the same pattern as did the Rover P6, SD1, 800, Ford Granada, Cortina and Capri (obviously a lot of other Ford models as well, i'm looking at similar size cars to the Volvos) and countless others.
Even the much-maligned Morris Marina went through a similar pattern but it had no real predecessor or successor that was similar enough in the marketplace to make a comparison with.

Keep it long enough and you're more or less guaranteed a classic at some point!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 17:36   #3
slowprop

Yes. Some of those Ford's go for a lot of money now. I've seen 9xxx advertised for as much as £7k while I was looking around. And also some for a few hundred. I'd have liked to have seen up close what you get for £7k.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 17:40   #4
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowprop View Post
Yes. Some of those Ford's go for a lot of money now. I've seen 9xxx advertised for as much as £7k while I was looking around. And also some for a few hundred. I'd have liked to have seen up close what you get for £7k.

About 5k to the greedy dealer
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 17:46   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's a weird phenomenon often referred to as the "Blue Oval Tax", for some reason if the badge on the car is in the shape of a blue oval, the price seems to go through the roof for no other reason than it's a Ford. Totally opposite to the original ethos of a Ford! meant to be affordable for everyone! Oddly i was trawling ebay last night looking at some old Fords, £12k for a Cortina anyone? A similar age/condition Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 was up for considerably less, having owned both i'd go for the Cavalier any day over a Ford.

As for your £7k 9xx, i wonder too what you'd get for your money! A bit like a 740 Turbo estate that as recently the subject of a thread on here and a deposit was paid by a member - on arrival it wouldn't start, when it did it ran rough, bits of trim hanging off, vacuum hoses and similar blanked off with woodscrews and other problems, nowhere near a £2k car which is what it was listed for on ebay!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 14:01   #6
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
I came across this and enjoyed reading it.

https://autoevoke.com/index.php?/art...e-classic-r96/

Seems this chap is confident we have a future classic.
Most definitely a future classic, mine already is cos it says so on the back (tee hee)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6004567.jpg (289.4 KB, 12 views)
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 16:57   #7
slowprop

Very nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 20:02   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a weird phenomenon often referred to as the "Blue Oval Tax", for some reason if the badge on the car is in the shape of a blue oval, the price seems to go through the roof for no other reason than it's a Ford. Totally opposite to the original ethos of a Ford! meant to be affordable for everyone! Oddly i was trawling ebay last night looking at some old Fords, £12k for a Cortina anyone? A similar age/condition Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 was up for considerably less, having owned both i'd go for the Cavalier any day over a Ford.

As for your £7k 9xx, i wonder too what you'd get for your money! A bit like a 740 Turbo estate that as recently the subject of a thread on here and a deposit was paid by a member - on arrival it wouldn't start, when it did it ran rough, bits of trim hanging off, vacuum hoses and similar blanked off with woodscrews and other problems, nowhere near a £2k car which is what it was listed for on ebay!

Think I'll have to put Trigger up for sale as prices seem to be going through the roof !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...RKuY:rk:1:pf:0
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 20:14   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Bargain!

The 940 in the article is for sale on eBay at the moment.

It was up for £850 but nobody bid on it so is now a 99p no reserve auction.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 20:30   #10
slowprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Think I'll have to put Trigger up for sale as prices seem to be going through the roof !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...RKuY:rk:1:pf:0
Nice car.
But I'm now feeling quite good about the £1700.00 I just paid for mine. Maybe not quite as good as that one but not that far away.