Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake shoes preventing wheel going back on

Views : 339

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 14:35   #1
ACJJ619

Default Handbrake shoes preventing wheel going back on

Hi guys,

I arrived at Tesco last night with the OSR squealing/burning like crazy, which was obviously a sticky brake.

I took the wheel off today but not without great difficulty - even with the handbrake off I couldn't rotate the wheel or get the disc off. It took me undoing the adjuster cog all the way before I could prise the disc off, and now it won't go back on. The shoes are still too far apart to get over the natural lip in the disc? Something to note is that I haven't touched the adjuster in the cabin - only the one on this wheel. Not sure if that matters?

What gives? Is there something else that's come unseated or something?

https://imgur.com/a/bB5MimU

Thank you!

Last edited by ACJJ619; Jan 20th, 2019 at 14:42.
ACJJ619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 14:40   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

That looks OK from the top side in the photo, can you do a photo from a similar angle but from below looking up.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:16   #3
volvo again
Master Member

Make sure the shoes are properly seated especially in the lower fitting, this is the one that operates them when the handbrake is pulled, also undo the adjuster at the handbrake lever, then when the disc is back on, use the adjuster on the shoes, turn until the wheel locks on then back off 'til it moves freely, then re-adjust at the handbrake lever.
One cause may be that the brake lining is coming apart from the metal shoe, not uncommon, just had to replace mine because of this and there was still plenty of friction material left.
In theory, they should never wear away, unless you apply when still moving
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 09:38   #4
John97Tdi
Master Member

Hi, I'd check to see if you are getting any movement at the shoes when the handbrake is applied - I had something similar when one of the handbrake cables siezed. It could be that the cable is rusted/frayed in place and holding the brake shoes 'on'.

Hope this helps

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 11:07   #5
volvo2
Master Member

I had a similar problem on my V70. It was caused by the handbrake cable being stiff and not retracting properly when the handbrake was released. I solved it by spraying silicon into the cable tubing while moving the cable itself back and forth. Not sure if this is a permanent solution.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...92#post2479892
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote