Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bio diesel

Views : 2253

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:57   #1
prs

Default Bio diesel

Is it safe to use Bio diesel in D5s ???
Thanks
prs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:24   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

I asked Volvo this question when I bought my S60 D5. I was told no.
I have read many forums on running bio diesel. It's recommend, when switching from oil based diesel to bio that, the fuel filters be replaced after the first tankful.
However, this does not mean that a Volvo D5 will run without problem on bio diesel as I'm not sure what materials are used in internal seals (bio fuel works as a solvent) and what the lubricity of bio diesel is compared with oil based diesel for the pump.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:09   #3
uncletone
Uncle Tone

Hi Guys,

I ran 100% bio diesel in my D5 V70 (2003 model Mileage 65k) for 43k miles over a 6 month period wth no problem, except that the supplier was a little skimpy with the anti-gel, hence when the weather turned a little chiller in January last year, it gelled up and clogged the filter. I ended up during the cold snap mixing it with ordernary derv at a 50-50 ratio.
Bio diesel is good for cleaning the fuel lines, pump and injectors hence the reason why you need to change the fuel filter after a tankful or so as a precaution. It's lubrication properties are tremendous. As with all things you need to ensure that your supplier is making a "good brew" hence why most manufacturers, especially in this country don't like you using it, they are not certain how good it is.

The French have been running 5% for many years now with no issues andd in Germany you can buy bio diesel at 85-100% and the Germans use it all the time. At the moment I am searching for a supplier close to me and hopefully will be able to start running the S60 on it.

Tone
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 15:04   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletone View Post
As with all things you need to ensure that your supplier is making a "good brew" hence why most manufacturers, especially in this country don't like you using it, they are not certain how good it is.

The French have been running 5% for many years now with no issues andd in Germany you can buy bio diesel at 85-100% and the Germans use it all the time. At the moment I am searching for a supplier close to me and hopefully will be able to start running the S60 on it.
I'm not sure it's that simple.
Yes, biodiesel is available in Germany but if it were just down to the supplier making a "good brew" then manufacturers (especially BMW, Mercedes and VAG) would be surely recommending BP Bio diesel as BP and Aral (major supplier in Germany) are one and the same company ?

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 18:21   #5
Jimmy G

Default Biodiesel in D5

Just started to use Biodiesel (100%) in my 2002 D5 V70 after a new business in Sheffield started producing and selling to the public.
I was a little sceptical at first but on my first visit I was shown round the state-of-the-art production process and was highly impressed. The guy informed me that the only problem you could possibly encounter would be if the fuel is not filtered correctly - he filters down to 1 micron (the fuel filter in the vehicle only filters to 15 microns). Many recommend changing the fuel filter after the first couple of tanks as the fuel dissolves carbon deposits more readily that fossil fuel diesel but after selling 19,000 litres in a couple of weeks he has not known a single incident needing a filter change.
I have yet to be totally convinced but there are 3 things in my favour :-

1) I'm doing as much as I possibly can to reduce the impact on the environment
2) I'm saving 25p per gallon every time I fill up (price today was 90p - my local Sainsbury's is 95.9p today
3) My car seems to run better on 100% Biodiesel - much smoother and quieter (not that it's noisy on fossil fuel !!)

I'll let you know what happens .....
If anyone is near Sheffield - do drop by or phone - he's a really nice guy
Bio UK Fuels, Unit 17, Newhall Road Ind. Estate, Sheffield S9 2TW (0114) 2445603
Jimmy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:58   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

The following was published in this weekends Telegraph on the subject:

Telegraph Link

Makes for some interesting reading...

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 15:12   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

My XC90 D5 handbook says max 5% blend only.

VW say no biodiesel unless you order a car specificly for biodeisel use.

Merc say OK for the CDI 220 and 270 but NO for the CDI 320

Elsbett the German biodiesl conversion company, who also build engines for using biodeisel, who have the most experience say SOV is only suitable for journeys of longer than 20 miles. You need to change your oil every 5000 miles.

I've seen a report on the New Scientist web site that says a German lab has found the biodeisel emissions to be highly carcenogenic. That's not a suprise really as all other burnt organic matter seems to be. i.e. cigarette smoke bonfire smoke and burnt toast.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 00:49   #8
cherry1809
Middle aged Member

I used to run a Shogun on 70% Somerfields Rapeseed oil.Never had any probs,cheap to run and ran better/quieter.
Only probs i've ever heard of (and rarely) are the seals in the fuel pump letting go.
cherry1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 19:21   #9
shimon340

the problem with the D5 and other common rail high pressure diesel fuel systems is that the biodiesel lacks the correct lubricant ability or lubricity compared to normal diesel. low sulphur fuel has extra components/additives added in order to increase the lubricity (lack of sulpuhr compounds reduced lubricity)

To run on biodiesel you would need to ideally measure the lubricity of biodiesel and compare it to normal diesel. you would also need to add something to increase it. the fuel lubricates the fuel pump so a lack of lubricity isnt good for the pump. the same is true for older diesel engines (non common rail) but the time for the detrimental affect to occur is longer.

check with volvo by emailing customer support in sweden as asking direct about the affect on the fuel pump. as the pumps arent made by volvo the question would be from volvos supplier.

I suspect they wont recomment a D5 uses biodiesel
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 19:22   #10
shimon340

by biodiesel I mean 100%. there will be an allowed % mix so long as the fossil fuel meets certain fuel standards
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote