Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spend Money On Keeping A High-Miler On The Road, Or...?

Views : 27518

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Spend Money On Keeping High-Miler Going, Or On Replacing It?
Keep It Running, Regardless Of Costs 121 63.02%
Keep It Running, Till Costs Start Exceeding Value Of Car 65 33.85%
Replace Every [XX] Year(s) 6 3.13%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 6th, 2016, 07:29   #121
volvorocks
Rodney

@Sasha94

Ouch!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 11:15   #122
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
So.... After reading this thread, I've calculated what the car has cost me in repairs in the two years of ownership. I've subtracted service parts like tyres, servicing, worn brakes. I've concentrated on failed parts like BCM etc.

The car cost me 6k and the cost of failed components has cost me £94 per month over 24 months. Ok, it's a V50 which is one of Volvo's not so finer moments but I'm still better off than if I'd hired or financed a new car.
I appreciate that there's lots of cheap service packages available but I'm working on not having anything like that if I purchased a new motor. I'm pleased with the outcome

TT
Just did the same and came up with £60 over 6 years. Then realised I'd also included servicing costs too including cambelt at 140k and that's at main dealer prices. Been looking at changing it for an XC60 as need something bigger due to 1 year old but think I'll stick with the roof box for now until something eventually goes wrong.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 11:46   #123
Dippydog
Premier Member

Sticking your one year old in a roof box?Sounds a bit on the cruel side to me does thatAs for keeping a high miler on the road,for me it's not what the car is worth,but what it's worth to you.I've only ever financed one car-the second car I ever owned-and the finance lasted longer than the car didso I swore never again to finance a car and I never have,I'll spend money on my cheap'n'cheerful cars-for essential stuff-up to the point where I get fed of spending on them then I'll get rid and move on to another.As always such decisions are down to the individual and it's each to their own,there's no right or wrong answer.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 18:54   #124
bob12
bob12

Like all statstics etc; the 'Poll' questions are not completely appropriate. I would vote for the first option, but not if the car were a rust bucket, and beyond hope ... that sort of car goes to heaven pdq.

My 1990 745 is 26+ years old and luckily in my ownership throughout. It has always been maintained to the highest standard and just keeps on going.

If your car has been well maintained with all normal and exceptional wear items fixed as the years progress - keep it.

My year on year running costs currently are basic. This year they were £158 for yearly full service/MOT, £235 Road Tax, and £220 for comp. insurance and full breakdown (inc European) cover. No other costs whatsoever other that petrol!!!!

I therefore see reason to be rid of it.

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 21:28   #125
mertzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Sticking your one year old in a roof box?Sounds a bit on the cruel side to me does thatAs for keeping a high miler on the road,for me it's not what the car is worth,but what it's worth to you.I've only ever financed one car-the second car I ever owned-and the finance lasted longer than the car didso I swore never again to finance a car and I never have,I'll spend money on my cheap'n'cheerful cars-for essential stuff-up to the point where I get fed of spending on them then I'll get rid and move on to another.As always such decisions are down to the individual and it's each to their own,there's no right or wrong answer.
I did car finance once and never again. It got written off by a trucker on the M1 and was still paying for it for another 9 months, placing me into banger territory. Never. Again.

Thankfully now happy with a V70 D5 P2.
mertzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 14:54   #126
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Financed car once, brabus smart for two. Loved it. But. The maintenance and the money I lost on resale was. on an admittedly niche and high maintenance product, was enormous compared to the tail light bulb my 940 has required in almost 8000 miles.

PS, before anyone says anything I LOVE smart cars, owned four and when the fuel cost rises again it will be another smart for me!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 12:27   #127
Blue Oval
Volvo Virgin!

I can see why people say that you should just replace the car when the repairs exceed it's value, but they really need to look at it in more detail.

If you've got the money sitting around to really upgrade, say going from a 15 year old to a nearly-new model, with all the latest tech, still under warranty etc. then it can be very tempting and I'd say "why not treat yourself if you want newer, but don't pretend it's going to be cheaper than fixing your car" - assuming the old car doesn't have serious rot etc.

However, many people driving 15 year old cars probably don't have "new car" money sitting around spare, they're possibly going to buy another £1-£2K car.

In that case, I'd say the "Blue Oval law of used car purchases" applies, and it goes as follows- "All used cars regardless of quality or provenance have at least 500 worth of expenditure required to get fully up to scratch".

Even my immaculate S60 has proven this to be the case (broken CD changer, warped wheel, tracking off, balancing off, and a new bluetooth install required, plus maybe a steering angle sensor) and this is from a car which has clearly been cherished by the last owner.

I don't think I've ever bought a used car that hasn't cost me at least that much to bring up to the standard I want. I think anyone should bear that in mind when deciding whether to cut their losses or not.

In short, better the devil you know.
Blue Oval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 22:11   #128
canis
Non Fragile

It's not the value of the car which matters, though. What really matters is the cost of replacing it with something else. You need to think how much you'd pay someone if they were selling it to you - that's the true value.

Yes, our car is old, yes it's high miles, yes it's got a lot of stuff wrong with it - but we simply don't have £1000+ to spend on a car. And since we already own this one ...

Plus, the quietness, the comfort, that eager leap onto the road it takes every morning, the plush interior, the reliability, the load capacity ... can you really get all that from the zero road tax puny little poxy hatchback you refer to as "the family car", I don't know if it's sarcasm, humour I don't understand, or just delusion.

No, keeping a car you're happy with, that you know well, and crucially has already been built so can be considered environmentally undamaging, it's a no brainer.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 22:17   #129
deeman940
Master Member

I bought my 940 with 165k on the clock a year ago. I wouldn't normally of bought a car with such high miles but I knew these are good for it and it had a full history, mostly Volvo. More importantly the bodywork was all original, in the metallic aubergine I had wanted and in stunning condition. The car also drove better than my 2 previous 940's which had had some 50k less on the clock.
I bought the car knowing it had a gearbox fault(5th synchro knackered) and changed the box more or less straight away at the cost of £250
A year on and it has not all been plain sailing. First the heater control valve went ( luckily round the corner from my house) which meant a few days on foot. I noted at the time the hoses didn't look brilliant.
Then, the head gasket went, luckily in such a place that the water and coolant didn't mix and the car could be driven. straight after that one of the aforementioned heart hoses gave up so replaced them...then a massive oil leak from the turbo return shortly after that. I was starting to question buying a high miler but now after all that she is running great and I have done a few mods which I am loving and will continue to do.
I paid £950 for the car, The suspension mods and the cost of the HG repair and subsequent oil leaks etc easily exceed this but I am not bothered at all and will continue to give it whatever it needs as well as probably spending another 4-5k modifying it simply because the end result to me will be priceless.
You can't put a monetary value on the smiles per mile a car brings you. For the kind of money I have ( not a great deal!) nothing newer appeals to me and I hate FWD do I will be sticking with my 940 for a while this time....
I think few people take into account depreciation with newer cars which is a factor which needs to be considered as well as just repair bills....

Last edited by deeman940; Oct 4th, 2016 at 22:21.
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 13:38   #130
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
I bought my 940 with 165k on the clock a year ago. I wouldn't normally of bought a car with such high miles but I knew these are good for it and it had a full history, mostly Volvo.
When I moved to the UK in fall of 2009 I had to sell my '90 940SE (US edition with a wing on the back which certainly not made it faster)..=*^)

310K miles, engine had never been apart, regular services like cam belts etc., only, A/c worked, sunroof worked, interior like new, auto smooth. The only thing attesting to the age was the metal grey paint which was getting sunburnt on the top - Arizona sun - and of course rust free.

I've regretted ever since not shipping it over, despite the costs.

Now we have a W reg C70 with 82K miles bought three years ago for £1100 with 68K on the odometer. Perfect interior, looks like new when polished up and the running costs have been basically nothing apart from belts.

The other one is a 2002 V70 Euro3 D5, 209K when I bought it in August - £800K. Cambelt changed three times, turbo replaced 50K miles ago and impressive service history.

This is my third V70 in three years. First one was a 2000 (2nd gen) 140 hp auto which cost me pretty much nothing apart from belts and transmission change. Bought it for £1,100 and sold it for £1,000 three years later.

Second one was a 170 hp auto 2002 - needed a hitch which the 140 didn't have - bought for £510, fixed the problem - EGR was clogged and created a screaming dervish once it was warm (about 5 miles driving). Then I came across the D5 and decided it would be better for towing and sold it for £1,100.

Since then we've put 4K on the D5, trip to Sweden, came back with 52.3 mpg.

It was specced with the "sport" suspension, including Nivomats in great condition and hitch. I felt the front end suspension was too hard on the roads around here and changed it with softer springs (Lakes Auto - great guys!) which improved the ride a lot. The car goes like stink when I stomp on it - doesn't smoke and everything works apart from the headlight washers which I aim to fix soon. Transmission is silky smooth and I just love the car - prefer it to the C70 - which is good as Jess prefers the C70.

I can see us keeping this V70 for some time..=*^)