Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spend Money On Keeping A High-Miler On The Road, Or...?

Views : 27509

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Spend Money On Keeping High-Miler Going, Or On Replacing It?
Keep It Running, Regardless Of Costs 121 63.02%
Keep It Running, Till Costs Start Exceeding Value Of Car 65 33.85%
Replace Every [XX] Year(s) 6 3.13%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:04   #161
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
Assumption ? Remember, we just deal with the facts. So here's some for you for starters.

240 2010 Q3 5491
240 2015 Q3 2357
42.9% survival rate

740 2010 Q3 7215
740 2015 Q3 2199
30.5% survival rate

940 2010 Q3 17503
940 2015 Q3 6874
39.3% survival rate

850 2010 Q3 20625
850 2015 Q3 6188
30% survival rate

These Dept of Transport statistics clearly show a considerably greater survival rate between the 240s and 940s compared to the 740 which is disappearing at a rate comparable to the FWD 850.

This is the reality, not assumptions
7 years later...

240 2015 Q3 2357
240 2022 Q3 1296
55% survival rate

740 2015 Q3 2199
740 2022 Q3 836
38% survival rate

940 2015 Q3 6874
940 2022 Q3 2777
40.4% survival rate

850 2015 Q3 6188
850 2022 Q3 1873
30.27% survival rate

I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure Prucocks car bit the dust a couple of years ago too.

These are only registered car figures. The same amounts more or less are on SORN.

Will update in another 7 years.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 21:03   #162
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Well reading the preceding post with its quote from 2015 I thought I must have posted on this thread, and wondered what I said then? and here it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
From personal experience
We have two cars in our family, my aged V70 and a fairly new Kia CEE'D for my wife. I don't have a problem with driving an older car, which may need a little consideration in the way I treat it and does have the risk of things going wrong. My wife has no empathy with a car and is paranoid about it breaking down and leaving her stranded somewhere so she insists on a newer car. (Oddly in the past when her newer car started playing up my old heap became very popular )
When it comes to finance, her Kia cost us £8000 and I expect by the time we get rid of it in 6 years it will be worth £1000 if we are lucky, so it will lose about £1000 a year in depreciation and that's without the cost of any maintenance like brake pads and discs, exhausts, lambda sensors etc. My V70 cost me £800 about 5 years ago, Ive spent a few hundred on parts (often from breakers but new where needed such as brake parts) so that works out at about £200 per year. Comparing the two my V70 starts to look quite cheap, so should it need a few hundred spent on it to keep it going I think I might be justified doing it.
Having said that one has to be realistic about the amount one might spend, it's not a particularly rare or special model so its only value is as transport, part of the economy is that I will work on it myself (if I really mess it up it's an £800 mess not an £8000 one), should something major occur such as a total engine failure I would probably choose to have a look and see if I could find another one which looked good at a good price.

I think a lot of it is a certain mentality that refuses to be part of the discard and replace culture, and as John points out an old car is spreading the environmental cost of building it over more years so it becomes greener the older it gets.
Now the CEE'D is no longer with us, it went 4+ years later but to my daughter, she had passed her test and wanted a car but only had £2k to spend, we were going to give her £2k so she could get something decent then my wife had an inheritance so we gave our daughter the CEE'D reasoning that it would probably only get us £2k trade in and bought a nearly new Stonic for the wife, and the CEE'D now 12+ years old is still going well. All in my depreciation guesstimate for the CEE'D was about right and I try not to think how much the Stonic is losing every day. But the V70 is still going well, it's had more money spent on it so I think I'm up to about £2k and it should have a new cambelt which I'll probably pay someone to do, not too bad in nearly 13 years, but then a friend of my son is interested in the V70 and I was toying with the idea of a C30 or V40, I'll come back in another 7 years and let you know

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 01:44   #163
xco
Premier Member

Hi Dave

The C30 D5 se lux is a lovely motor as my missus will agree...she wouldn't drive anything else although she does occasionally drive my XC90.

We both still miss our P2 V70 D5 se though but there wasn't room on the drive for all 3 Volvo's or it would still be here now.

We love the D5.

Long live the D5.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 08:30   #164
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
Hi Dave
We both still miss our P2 V70 D5 se though but there wasn't room on the drive for all 3 Volvo's or it would still be here now.
During lockdown in 2020 my son and I (with a tiny bit of help from the wife) dug out and gravelled the front garden so we could park three cars there, but that's my car his car and her car, so even with the money I've saved with the V70 I'm not allowed two Volvos

David
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 09:40   #165
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Well reading the preceding post with its quote from 2015 I thought I must have posted on this thread, and wondered what I said then? and here it is

Now the CEE'D is no longer with us, it went 4+ years later but to my daughter, she had passed her test and wanted a car but only had £2k to spend, we were going to give her £2k so she could get something decent then my wife had an inheritance so we gave our daughter the CEE'D reasoning that it would probably only get us £2k trade in and bought a nearly new Stonic for the wife, and the CEE'D now 12+ years old is still going well. All in my depreciation guesstimate for the CEE'D was about right and I try not to think how much the Stonic is losing every day. But the V70 is still going well, it's had more money spent on it so I think I'm up to about £2k and it should have a new cambelt which I'll probably pay someone to do, not too bad in nearly 13 years, but then a friend of my son is interested in the V70 and I was toying with the idea of a C30 or V40, I'll come back in another 7 years and let you know

Those old Kia's and similar cheapo cars were so basic they had reliability in their blood, the overlooked good choice.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 12:10   #166
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I've got a couple of 740s - a 1988 saloon that was abused as a daily driver, and an almost concours condition 1989 estate. They are both in very good condition mechanically, and look set for another 40 years of life and many more hundreds of thousands of miles. My suspicion is that the 740s have a lower survival rate because of the drift racers, rather than manufacturing weaknesses. They seem to be moving up in values in comparison with the 240s, and I suspect that increasing rarity will closer that gap even further. I think I read a report there are fewer than 350 left in the UK.

I've been driving the saloon for almost a year now, and so far I've had to regap the spark plugs, replace the fuel pump relay, and fit a new air filter. It's long overdue a routine service I suspect, but it's really cheap reliable motoring. I paid less than £300 for it, and I don't regret a penny of the money. Oh yes, I forgot that I had to pay for an MOT, which it passed without requiring any work.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 17:31   #167
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
During lockdown in 2020 my son and I (with a tiny bit of help from the wife) dug out and gravelled the front garden so we could park three cars there, but that's my car his car and her car, so even with the money I've saved with the V70 I'm not allowed two Volvos
We go back a good few years you and I Dave...I remember quite a few debates we've had on the V70 section and still a fondly remembered car...

Regards m8

Ian

Ps. Don't forget the C30 is only a 4 Seater
(but very comfortable.....you tend to seat IN the C30 seats not on them...they seem to maneouvre you into an inclined position automatically).

Last edited by xco; Feb 9th, 2023 at 17:45.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 19:39   #168
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
We go back a good few years you and I Dave...I remember quite a few debates we've had on the V70 section and still a fondly remembered car...
Regards m8
Ian
Ps. Don't forget the C30 is only a 4 Seater
(but very comfortable.....you tend to seat IN the C30 seats not on them...they seem to maneouvre you into an inclined position automatically).
Thanks Ian, it's sometimes a bit of a shock how long some of us have been here, I was a 'lurker' too before I actually joined as I had a couple of 850s and a 940 before them.
I've got a friend with a C30 so might try to persuade them to let me borrow it for an afternoon to see how it suits me, inclined seating position is a bit of a concern with a dodgy back but if they support like the V70 seats I might be OK. I love the V70 for its mix of comfort and practicality but the kids are grown up and left home so I don't need the seats and big boot for them and whilst I have had five 7ft concrete posts in the back and fence panels strapped to the roof rails in the past, when I did the other bit of my fence last summer I just got it all delivered.

David
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 00:56   #169
xco
Premier Member

We are a couple of forum dinosaurs aren't we lol....
I too have back issues and when I say they incline you I mean that in a good way.

Most cars I've ever been in the back of as a passenger have not been such a nice ride as being a front passenger but the back seats in the C30 are a lovely ride as are the front seats also and at an angle that supports your back very nicely...this may of course be specific to the suspension set up and even wheel sizes and tyres fitted but compared to other cars I can recommend the C30 Se lux D5 gear tronic for comfort speed cabin quietness and economy.
As for sitting in and getting in the back of a C30 the doors are massive.... bigger than the V70 doors and the seats slide right forwards to allow access and the comfort and support of Volvo seats needs no debate to people like us...It is a given expectation taken for granted isn't it?

Yes the V70 was amazing for what you could get on the roof and inside it.

When my grand daughter was younger she wanted a rabbit so my daughter sourced one 2nd hand and...." taxi of dad " was tasked to pick it up but what wasn't shared prior to the expedition was that the hutch was twin storey and all but 5ft long....too high to go inside so the rabbit went in the boot in a travel hutch and the er.... bungalow went on the roof rack.

It must have looked hilarious going along straw an all...it certainly attracted some attention.

Last edited by xco; Feb 10th, 2023 at 01:06.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 04:55   #170
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Wrong thread.

Last edited by baggy798; Feb 24th, 2023 at 04:59.
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote