Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 rear drivers side very low

Views : 1918

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 12:29   #21
minesa240x3
loyalty

One thing to think about is the value of the nearside one.I'm always on the lookout for ONE,And as they are so expensive they do have a value.Glad you found some on ebay through laney.Using original nivo's is best if you have the funds.And you don't have to mess about getting the top spring bolt/stud out.It's not impossible just awkward as when undoing the nut the stud quite often undo's.Makes it awkward when reinstalling as you need the extra thread length to get the stud started.

Good luck Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 20:21   #22
billmckinstry
Master Member

Should both sides be replaced or can we get away with just replacing the dropped side shock ??
billmckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 13:55   #23
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmckinstry View Post
Should both sides be replaced or can we get away with just replacing the dropped side shock ??
I was advised on the forum to replace both as otherwise it might affect handling but I could only afford to do the one side at those prices and I've noticed nothing different in the way the car handles bends etc... Both sides are equally perky once they raise up and also I had only just bought my 760 so for all I knew the other side might have been quite recently replaced anyway?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:50   #24
billmckinstry
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi bill all the info you need has been given by all these lovely people already.
All I can add is,If you have nivomats fitted then does it level up as soon as you get moving?I have a six door Limo that has nivo's fitted and the offside one drops quite quickly.But as soon as I get going it pumps itself back up.YES it will eventually give up and probably leak but for now it's fine.Try bumping up and down on the rear and see if it raises.
The usual fix as said already is to fit heavy duty coil springs and standard dampers.When you think the cars without nivo's were ok then Standard springs and shocks should be fine.Most go for heavy duty as it helps when loaded and stiffens up the ride.You might not like it though as you do feel a few more bumps.
I live with it as I tow with mine and it only gets used weekends.

There is a "How too" in the technical section I think.Thats the bit at the top of this section.

And heres another nivo picture.And two standard shocks.
Regards Brian.
Hi Brian, The car appears to level and be ok once it is driven. Lets hope this works for a while.
billmckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 17:16   #25
KJ
KJ

Hi, I have a 1987 760 GLE Estate which has self levelling shock absorbers. I also had some sagging on one side a few years back which went away after I replaced the shocks. Due to the price of the volvo shocks I bought the German BOGE brand which I was told was the OEM manufacturer for Volvo. Probably was about half the price of the Volvo shocks.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: