Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blower fan.....🤬

Views : 799

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2020, 15:05   #1
volvo-express
Master Member

Default Blower fan.....🤬

Interior blower fan.....Jesus Christ!

The fan started squealing bad in the car yesterday and said time to remove the fan and at least oil the bearings.

I ended up getting the lump hammer at it out of frustration and smashing it and swearing!

I looked at videos before to get an idea and why do I have an early setup in the car where it was nothing like the videos for 740's.

Now I have a bigger job on my hands to put right....🙄
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 15:53   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Is this for a 940?

If so then it is just a case of removing the glovebox which is a few screws then it twists undone after removing one screw from the motor.

If you need a motor I've got a couple lying around.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 15:57   #3
volvo-express
Master Member

Default Blower fan

The car is 1989 740....it has an aftermarket air conditioning system fitted so maybe the air box and far have been changed. It has part number SPAL Tipo 004 - A28 - 28D -12V no Volvo part numbers on it.

To add to the frustration no photos can't be uploaded this fourm here now with a decent phone. If ye guys could see the current install and if advised...I could rip out the air con setup and go back to Volvo setup.

Admin can you advise what happening with attaching photos?

Last edited by volvo-express; Jun 15th, 2020 at 18:45.
volvo-express is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo-express For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 15:59   #4
volvo-express
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Is this for a 940?

If so then it is just a case of removing the glovebox which is a few screws then it twists undone after removing one screw from the motor.

If you need a motor I've got a couple lying around.
It's for a 740....I went to look at my 940 and it sooo simple compared....its as easy as you said to remove.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 19:42   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

God knows what has been fitted then, I can check the part number for you but I doubt it will be the same.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 20:23   #6
volvo-express
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
God knows what has been fitted then, I can check the part number for you but I doubt it will be the same.
Hi,

Thanks for replying and helping out....I really wanted to post a picture up here via my phone so people could easily see what setup is installed. I will pm you my email so I can attach pic to email.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 23:07   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

The bulletin board only allows pictures up to a certain small size. I find an iPhone sometimes offers an opportunity to upload a smaller image size - options at the bottom where you select the photo. Otherwise, there are sites online which will shrink jpegs. Alternatively, it is possible to upload your image to a file sharing site and include a link.

Page 10 of this catalogue will tell you how to decode your part number.

https://www.spalautomotive.it/docume....-TKELbm2i.pdf

You could probably buy a comparable replacement if you wanted to. It didn’t look to me as though they still do the A28 motor but you should be able to match the other features.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 08:50   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Are you sure it's an aftermarket A/C system? It looks very like the 760 motor to me which is the same as the later 940 A/C fan but the 940 runs the opposite way and you need the fan blade from your original motor or it just makes a lot of noise without shift any air.

Try uploading your photos to postimages.org and then use the "Hotlink for forums" link to show the pics in your threads. Life is easier with a computer when using forums and wanting to show photos, that's for sure!

Does it look anything remotely similar to that?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 09:40   #9
volvo-express
Master Member

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2639301]Are you sure it's an aftermarket A/C system? It looks very like the 760 motor to me which is the same as the later 940 A/C fan but the 940 runs the opposite way and you need the fan blade from your original motor or it just makes a lot of noise without shift any air.

Try uploading your photos to postimages.org and then use the "Hotlink for forums" link to show the pics in your threads. Life is easier with a computer when using forums and wanting to show photos, that's for sure!

Does it look anything remotely similar

https://i.postimg.cc/YSxXhCzm/20200615-203407.jpg

That there link to the pic of the image of the fan I removed with the base. The base is clipped on using clips similar to clips that hold.on the headlight glass but way stiffer!

https://i.postimg.cc/ncyZ13bG/20200615-153952.jpg

That's an image of what the install looks like, I went to look at my 940 and it looks way neater install and simple setup compared.

If ye guys can have a look and see if this looks remotely like a 740 install or what part looks similar.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 10:17   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=volvo-express;2639316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Are you sure it's an aftermarket A/C system? It looks very like the 760 motor to me which is the same as the later 940 A/C fan but the 940 runs the opposite way and you need the fan blade from your original motor or it just makes a lot of noise without shift any air.

Does it look anything remotely similar

https://i.postimg.cc/YSxXhCzm/20200615-203407.jpg

That there link to the pic of the image of the fan I removed with the base. The base is clipped on using clips similar to clips that hold.on the headlight glass but way stiffer!

https://i.postimg.cc/ncyZ13bG/20200615-153952.jpg

That's an image of what the install looks like, I went to look at my 940 and it looks way neater install and simple setup compared.

If ye guys can have a look and see if this looks remotely like a 740 install or what part looks similar.

Thanks.
I can see what's happened here! Someone has bodged in an aftermarket blower, probably because of the price of a Volvo replacement!

Does it actually have air-con? If so, some pics of the whole install would be helpful to try and work out which set up you have exactly.

By the way, it's the "Hotlink for forums" you need, not whatever link you used.
Also if you can improve the resolution on your camera (bigger size) it would be better.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote