Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

boot Space

Views : 996

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 13:07   #1
Rocinante
Master Member

Default boot Space

This is a long shot, and I doubt there is an answer but....

I have a V60 and in the long process of thinking about a replacement, and as such was trying to make comparisons. I was finding reference to the boot size with reference given to both size with seats up and seats down. However, I discovered that the 'seats up' size appeared to be getting listed both as 430 litres and 557 litres. In the process of trying to confirm which is was, I finally landed on the Volvo website, and found the below.

"The boot capacity is a generous 430 litres to the window line, with rear seats up, and 557 litres when loaded to the roof. When rear seats are folded, capacity jumps to a capacious 1241 litres"

I had thought the standard measurement was to the window line, but as I said they appear to have both been used as the 'Seat Up' size depending on where you look, without further clarification.

This information took some hunting out, and I am now wondering that when I make a comparison it may not be like for like, as some may be quoting window line and others roof line.

Anyone got a reliable source for these things ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 15:03   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

I would have thought that the capacity quoted should be, seats up, loaded to the roof, and seats down, loaded to the roof, but I understand your dilemma re comparisons.
I drive an old 940 and my daughter drives an XC70, both of which have “squared off” rear ends which mean bulky items (freezer, cooker etc. ) can be loaded without dropping the rear seats. We know because we have done it.
Our winge is that the more recent models have sloping rear ends which drastically reduces the available load area volume. In our opinion the current “V” models are NOT estate cars, they are hatchbacks.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 15:45   #3
skippyfox
VOC Member

Having gone from a 16 reg XC70 to a 68 reg V90 R Design, I must admit it is a pain having to drop the back seats and remove the load cover to shove bulky items in to the back of the car. Items the XC70 swallowed with ease and seats up. Unlike Ian 21401 I wouldn't go as far as calling the V90 a hatchback, more of an ill conceived design, should have stayed with a more vertical tail gate. Looking at most large modern estates they seem to be going down the sloping tailgate route.

P.S. I do miss the XC70....
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 15:58   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

An extract from the press release of the V60, that maybe gives some idea of the thinking at Volvo.( I discovered while looking for the boot sizes)

""This car is not designed to carry big loads," says Malin Schwartz, Commercial Project Leader. "We have a V70, XC70 or XC90 in our range that can do that. Rather it's a stylish dynamic vehicle that offers more carrying capacity and versatility than a typical saloon or hatchback."

"Volvo estates used to be designed to carry fridges," says Design Director Peter Horbury. "But modern lifestyles make that unnecessary. Retailers nowadays normally deliver fridges! We clearly see the need to continue to offer vehicles that can carry big loads, but that is not the role of the V60."
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 16:09   #5
Rocinante
Master Member

Investigating a little further, there is a technical standard (ISO3832) that means that they are all supposed to be measured the same way:

"But you’d have to comply with the given rules........... you can measure the volume up to the edge of the rear seat backrests or up to the parcel rack, which may result in large differences in different models. But the blocks must on no account raise the height of the parcel shelf."

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/...t-like-tetris/

I now half suspect that Volvo was fiddling the figures a little due to the small capacity of the V60, quoting both the official figure,(up to the parcel shelf), and also quoting the figure if you fill the boot up to the ceiling, with the result that journalists pick the one they want to use in their articles.
This may be totally erroneous, but who knows, and who knows what other manufacturers might be doing with their figures.

For anyone really interested, link to the standard for measuring luggage compartments.

https://cdn.standards.iteh.ai/sample...-3832-2002.pdf

Last edited by Rocinante; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 16:14.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 16:16   #6
glynh

I have had passat estates which fitted white goods easily, the V60 didnt without removing all of the packaging first which was a pita (std dishwasher).

Annoyingly it was the slight curve of the boot entrance that was the issue, once in there was loads of space around the actual item. So for large square type things it wont fit, but for most others it probably will.

The boot has no 'lip' which is good for loading, however the seats dont go 'flat' when down, but i believe a lot dont anymore.

And as for the comment of 'companies deliver', yes they do but for a lot of cash.

Personally i prefer the square opening where you can use the full space, bit like a jar where you cant get the last bit because the opening is restrictive..
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 17:41   #7
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I think these days, it's generally the case that if you want an estate with a big boot, you buy an E Class.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 21:43   #8
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
In our opinion the current “V” models are NOT estate cars
I fully agree with you, Iain21401, and with skippyfox.

As for the Volvo quote:

""This car is not designed to carry big loads," says Malin Schwartz, Commercial Project Leader. "We have a V70, XC70 or XC90 in our range that can do that. Rather it's a stylish dynamic vehicle that offers more carrying capacity and versatility than a typical saloon or hatchback."

... well they don't have the V70 or XC70 any more so basically the only car that can carry big loads is the XC90, seeing as all the new replacements since then are all dog-leg tailgate models.

Shame on Volvo for abandoning the proper estate market.

Chances are that when my XC70 gives up the ghost (hopefully many years from now) my next car won't be a Volvo unless they change direction. Who's to say what may be on the market several years into the future but an E class is always likely to be on the shortlist unless it also proceeds further down the sloping/dog-leg tailgate route.

As for Peter Horbury's

"Volvo estates used to be designed to carry fridges," says Design Director Peter Horbury. "But modern lifestyles make that unnecessary. Retailers nowadays normally deliver fridges! We clearly see the need to continue to offer vehicles that can carry big loads, but that is not the role of the V60."

Well they seem to have a different definition of 'vehicles that can carry big loads' these days.

Obviously this (and presumably the other quote) was a few years ago. Peter Horbury played a significant role in making Volvos 'curvy' but that was some 20 years ago. I had the pleasure of several days in his company at a corporate event - he was very aware of the Volvo history and design legacy and very keen to respect it - which I think he did.

Last edited by george57l; Aug 4th, 2021 at 21:53.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post: