Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Throttle linkage - Webcon DGV kit

Views : 989

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2021, 18:36   #1
GaryBray
Restorer of Classic Cars

Default Throttle linkage - Webcon DGV kit

Have just taken delivery of all required to replace the worn Stromberg and cracked manifold on this '64 B20 Amazon Combi ... and at the same time remove the LPG installation and refit a factory type fuel tank ...

Anyone a photo/s showing the throttle linkage set up for the Webcon PVO101 DGV kit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_L1000775-2.jpg (203.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg FB_L1000946-2.jpg (137.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Stromberg_01.jpg (85.8 KB, 35 views)
GaryBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:37   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Talk to these guys, they are very accommodating. Tell them what Webcon kit you have.
https://fastroadcars.co.uk/store/ind...product_id=524
There are other suppliers Google Weber 32/36 DGAV or DGV control linkages

Nice Combi!
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 16:54   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBray View Post
Have just taken delivery of all required to replace the worn Stromberg and cracked manifold on this '64 B20 Amazon Combi ... and at the same time remove the LPG installation and refit a factory type fuel tank ...

Anyone a photo/s showing the throttle linkage set up for the Webcon PVO101 DGV kit?
All the instructions/adaptors to convert from Stromberg to Weber should be in the conversion kit, they always used to be. Aside from perhaps minor tuning of the idle it should be near enough plug'n'play.

You may have to fit different air correction or main jets though to prevent the top end fueling going lean as i see you also have an extractor manifold which will likely make the top end lean, would have done the same with the old carb and you would have had to change the needle.

Worth a session on a rolling road where they know about Weber progressive twin-choke carbs to get it set up just right too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 19:57   #4
Faust
Master Member

I used the linkages that came with the kit when I installed my Weber conversion many years ago.

Don't have any pics and unlikely to have any in the near future as my car is under a cover at the moment as I'm not using it (thanks CV19).

If you don't have them already, get some new ball joint linkages for the pedal linkage where it comes though the bulkhead - makes the job easier when fitting .
It can be tricky to get the linkages just right. Bit of trial and error will get the job done. Just make double sure all linkages are free to move 100% as it can be tricky to get the rod from the bar that leads from the pedal to carb connector just right.

It's a case of messing around with it until all is well really... pretty easy job all in, just a bit fiddly in places.

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 14:51   #5
GaryBray
Restorer of Classic Cars

Cheers for your input guys ... much appreciated.

I've no issue figuring the linkage out for myself, nor re-jetting the carb if required, just wondered if anyone actually had a photo for reference as no, the Webcon kit supplied had nothing by way of instructions.

Have now hit a more serious snag though. The inlet manifold and exhaust header are not compatible without modification. As seen in these photos the underside of the inlet fouls the centre pipes of the header and therefore will not fit flush to the head ports. NOT what I was expecting !!

When told of the problem via email the supplier [who shall remain nameless at this stage] simply replied , quote :

"Hi Gary, We’ve seen this problem before but unfortunately this is how these are made. You can adjust something yourself to fix it or you could return the manifold and change it for a 4-1 manifold, these fit better."

How's that for customer service !?! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_Manifold01.jpg (199.2 KB, 34 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryBray For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 15:01   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBray View Post
Cheers for your input guys ... much appreciated.

I've no issue figuring the linkage out for myself, nor re-jetting the carb if required, just wondered if anyone actually had a photo for reference as no, the Webcon kit supplied had nothing by way of instructions.

Have now hit a more serious snag though. The inlet manifold and exhaust header are not compatible without modification. As seen in these photos the underside of the inlet fouls the centre pipes of the header and therefore will not fit flush to the head ports. NOT what I was expecting !!

When told of the problem via email the supplier [who shall remain nameless at this stage] simply replied , quote :

"Hi Gary, We’ve seen this problem before but unfortunately this is how these are made. You can adjust something yourself to fix it or you could return the manifold and change it for a 4-1 manifold, these fit better."

How's that for customer service !?! lol
Unless you'll constantly be driving in the 4500-6000rpm range, a 4-2-1 manifold will be better than the 4-1 version, giving a wider spread of power and smoother performance overall.

Are you able to relieve the inlet manifold at all to help the clearance or perhaps persuade the exhaust manifold into a different shape?

If it's any consolation, i emailed an ebay seller to query whether they'd had any reported problems with a particular aspect of a product, here's the reply i got :

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Please provide us with your car's registration number so that we may find the correct product for your vehicle.

Our staff is currently working from home office, we are doing our best to assist you during the pandemic. It may take a bit longer for us to reply, we appreciate your patience. "

I'd already ascertained it will fit, it seems they are just too lazy to answer my question!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 16:48   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Would the cast exhaust manifolds fit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BC8494F7-081B-4D19-8110-2A97B5F16A62.jpeg (200.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 57A7A989-770C-4879-893F-2C791551AD45.jpeg (146.2 KB, 16 views)
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 16:56   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I think you can just cut the intake manifold section off of your old manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB5123C6-99E0-4486-A9CC-E8684BAF7477.jpg (50.4 KB, 10 views)
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 14:42   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

The back yard fix is with a hammer to the exhaust and maybe a file to the inlet. Done with a bit of finesse it should solve the problem. The interference looks to be minimal so there should be no negatives. The alloy inlet is pretty thick. You won't see the results of mods when all is fitted back up. This sort if mismatch isn't unusual.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 10:41   #10
GaryBray
Restorer of Classic Cars

I appreciate that taking a hammer and file to the parts would solve the problem ... but in my humble opinion that's not the point. The underlying issue is that the parts suppliers thenselves should be addressing these problems.

Rather than simply saying 'yeah we know there' s a fitting issue, sort it yourself or send it back' they should be taking the issue back to their own suppliers. Maybe we the end users have become too complacent?

Back in the day I ran a 'main dealership' suppling Weber, SU and Zenith / Stromberg carb kits and performance packs to both retail and trade customers alike ... we wouldn't have dreamt of passing off mismatched components like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car_Conversion_Show.jpg (264.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by GaryBray; Feb 10th, 2021 at 11:24.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryBray For This Useful Post: