Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83186

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 10:05   #701
arcturus
arcturus

You need to make a trunk call!
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 05:40   #702
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Still pictures of non Volvo stuff I'm afraid

Not got back to Volvo stuff just yet but the foundation of the new workshop is taking shape.

I'm aiming to end up with an area contained within a 7.5m X 9m footprint - wall thickness is yet to be determined by budget constraints!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Building new workshop4.jpg (268.2 KB, 80 views)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 10:50   #703
old fart
Master Member

While you're at this stage get a mini digger in and dig a pit. I did, and can't think how I managed without one, now.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 12:33   #704
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
While you're at this stage get a mini digger in and dig a pit. I did, and can't think how I managed without one, now.
It would have been easier to have not filled the ground in first! I've just raised the level by the best part of a meter.

My reason for not wanting a pit is partly for reasons of claustrophobia and the other for a design constraint for the workshop.

Where I am living is on the edge of an earthquake zone. "The Dutch" have been extracting a low calorific gas since the 1950s which apparently is causing shallow earthquakes. (This is a bit of a sore point in this region of the Netherlands and a bit like the should you smoke / should you not smoke argument there's a lot of "discussion" - better not to mention it really)

Anyway just in case, I've come up with a plan that is a non conventional structure that I can build by myself that also would enable me to jack things back into place in the event of something going wrong.

If I could have gotten a few ISO / shipping containers onto the site I would have probably have done something like that (all the rage at the moment - building things from shipping containers!) but that too would have meant shutting a fairly busy road and getting a mega crane to move them over houses (would cost very very very very silly silly silly money here)...

...so essentially I'm building a steel structure to replicate a shipping container on top of railway ballast and railway sleepers.

It will be a no concrete structure.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 15:34   #705
Derek UK
VOC Member

A friend of mine in Zaandam had to get some substantial piling done before he could get permission for his garage. OK it was a two story industrial unit but it shows how unstable a lot of the reclaimed land is. His house, garage and a large area around it now flattened after a buy out by a housing consortium. Financially that didn't do him any harm and he's now rebuilt his garage with lift etc into a rather nice bungalow not too many miles away.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 09:56   #706
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
A friend of mine in Zaandam had to get some substantial piling done before he could get permission for his garage. OK it was a two story industrial unit but it shows how unstable a lot of the reclaimed land is. His house, garage and a large area around it now flattened after a buy out by a housing consortium. Financially that didn't do him any harm and he's now rebuilt his garage with lift etc into a rather nice bungalow not too many miles away.
The ground here is fenland but I'm not having to go down the piling route (unless I have to). I don't think the main house was built on piles...

...anyway all of the building work I'll be doing will be within the generous requirements for permission free building. For the space I have I can build on an area up to 250 square meters including existing buildings. The maximum height of a pitched roof structure is 5 meters. There are some other requirements about the positioning but all in all it is quite liberal in what you can do here.

Proper planning permission can be horrifically expensive in some regions - there are some scary stories of people asking for a dropped curb for a driveway - having to pay about 2K only to have the request denied!

Consequently I'm very keen to make sure I remain within the prescribed limits of permission free building (even been to see the local council to have my plans checked).
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 02:12   #707
c1800
Master Member

Army, hope you’re well. Building a garage myself. Made me think of you, how is it going?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 15:11   #708
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Army, hope you’re well. Building a garage myself. Made me think of you, how is it going?
Struggling along as usual with the long term health issues which always seem worse in the winter months - nothing is moving as fast as I'd like.

If you're busy building (in the snow?) I for one would appreciate a photo or two as it is always good to see how others do things (part of the reason for being on a forum)

Here:- The last few months have resulted in this =>

As you can see I've limited the weight I need to lug about by designing a steel I-beam structure with spindly IPE100 rolled steel joists (RSJs). The nine meter lengths are about 85 kg a piece. That's about all I want to have to deal with as I don't want to have to change my underwear every time I need to reposition things.

In the modern (real) world machines with hydraulics would be used but that (1) costs too much money here in Holland for me to pay (2) access isn't great for big machines that can reach bigger distances

So it has been me and a trusty (left behind by the previous owners) wheel barrow shifting I-beams from the road to the back garden (~50 meters)

Once the base has been welded the upper structure will be 100 X 50 X 3 (and 100 X 100 X 3) box section.

At the moment most of the I-beams have been cut and made ready for welding. I'm about half way at the moment =>

I'm cleaning off surface rust and painting on a few coats of Zinga as I go

(Zinga is great stuff)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding1.jpg (183.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding2.jpg (247.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding3.jpg (276.5 KB, 46 views)
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 15:53   #709
Derek UK
VOC Member

Wow, that's heavy duty! I thought you'd just have some anti damp sheet, some rebar mesh and then poured concrete. Maybe the poured concrete is going over the steel matrix?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 16:01   #710
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Wow, that's heavy duty! I thought you'd just have some anti damp sheet, some rebar mesh and then poured concrete. Maybe the poured concrete is going over the steel matrix?
No no - concrete free construction (!)

I don't like concrete all that much. It is quite expensive especially when reinforced and a pain in the backside at the end of life. I reckon even in the future people will be happy to come and collect nearly three tons of steel if I / next owner don't / doesn't want it any more.

(Also) Cos I'm on the edge of an earthquake region I want something that is more like an ISO / shipping container so I can jack the thing back level in the event of the dreadful...