Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trailer brake light warning

Views : 1992

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2020, 22:16   #1
Mytholmroyd60

Default Trailer brake light warning

When I hook up my trailer to my factory fitted retractable towbar (V90) I get as warning that the trailer brake lights are not working, but they are!

Any easy fix?
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 11:53   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Hello are your trailer lights LED ? , if so the car will not detect a high enough current draw & trigger a false error message . Also try connecting to another trailer / caravan & see if that remedies the issue .
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 14:25   #3
BWT

Default Brake Lights

I would point out that i have the Volvo ECU in my car and have no issues with any lights the caravan is a 2 year old Swift Elegance all round LEDS. I would suggest there is a fault in the system.

Volvo V90 R Design Pro D5 in Grey
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 18:18   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
I would point out that i have the Volvo ECU in my car and have no issues with any lights the caravan is a 2 year old Swift Elegance all round LEDS. I would suggest there is a fault in the system.
You sure the road lights are led? My coachman vip has led running lights but indicator and stop tail lights are filament bulbs. Makes changing them and staying legal easy.

If all lights are led get hold of, beg borrow or steal, a trailer board with filament bulbs and try that, if the system now works you need resistors in series with the led lamps to increase the current draw.

I keep a known working trailer board carefully stored in the attic for just such testing. It is far easier to remove bulbs from a trailer board to enature failer warnings are working as they should than potch about with the caravans.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 21:55   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
if the system now works you need resistors in series with the led lamps to increase the current draw.
Think that should be "in parallel" not "series" to increase the current flow.

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 17:45   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

Think that should be "in parallel" not "series" to increase the current flow.

Iain
A stop or indicator lamp is normally 21w

21w/12v= just shy of 2A circuit current.
A lot of led lamps will not stand that current through them so connecting a resistor in parallel so that it shunts the led lamps but gives a circuit current of 2A will work. Problem is the current will try to take the path of least resistance so the led lamps may suffer either way.

I have never measured the resistance of an led, reverse polarity they are open circuit correct polarity no idea.

Paul.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 18:27   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Resistor Kits for LED Bulbs
Section in the link below covers it

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bl...ix-with-video/

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 14:21   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I'm 99% certain that all Volvo 13 pin trailer setups are compatible with LED trailer lights. I did have a problem on my 2016 XC60 with factory towbar where it was randomly reporting bulb failures, this was fixed by using a genuine Volvo 13-pin to 7-pin adapter which I found strange but it did fix it, and the fault returned when I re-installed the chinese one from e-bay.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 17:05   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I'm 99% certain that all Volvo 13 pin trailer setups are compatible with LED trailer lights. I did have a problem on my 2016 XC60 with factory towbar where it was randomly reporting bulb failures, this was fixed by using a genuine Volvo 13-pin to 7-pin adapter which I found strange but it did fix it, and the fault returned when I re-installed the chinese one from e-bay.
Mmmm, worrying as technically volvo are now Chinese, Geely finance owning a big part of them.

I find I have to change the 7N socket on the LandRover frequently, one of the costs of wadding the vehicle and submerging the socket. Decent quality lasts far longer than cheap Chinese even if the decent quality comes from China. .

Paul.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 20:44   #10
NUGGS77

Default Trailer light warning on dashboard

Hi guys I have a warning light on my dash saying trailer light out but I don’t have a trailer fitted anyone else had this problem

Regards

Jason
NUGGS77 is offline   Reply With Quote