Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aged fuel message

Views : 3762

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2023, 21:13   #11
nu11eaf
Premier Member

May be a dirty fuel filter, or water in filter, (I am only stabbing in the dark though) how old is the car/filter.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 22:24   #12
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

No not that. It's a hybrid message that stops you using the ev side. Too much of a coincidence that it happened when still at the fuel pump.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 23:17   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
You're actually in a bit of a catch 22. On the one hand you're being warned that your fuel is 'aged' (I didn't know it told you this either. I assume it times how long since the gauge went up). On the other hand if you don't keep the tank fairly well topped up condensation build up can result in increased water content in the fuel which in turn encourages diesel bug. Have you noticed any drop off in performance or difficulty starting? I'd be interested in knowing why Volvo incorporated the warning into the software.
I have never seen any water in any volvo fuel tank I have looked into, over the years its probably about 3 or 4 a year.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 09:00   #14
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I have never seen any water in any volvo fuel tank I have looked into, over the years its probably about 3 or 4 a year.
This is a strange one for me Clan.

Two things:-

1) The Aged Fuel message appeared as I was sitting on the forecourt after filling up.
2) Six months ago my Volvo dealer didn't change the fuel filter properly and it cut out while driving the morning after a major service. They hadn't primed/purged the system. Fortunately the electric bit got me to the garage. But, this was a one off and I've done 7000m since.

I don't get why it says 'Aged Fuel - run diesel engine to burn off fuel' (before I can use electric again)...
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 19:30   #15
ian77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
I don't get why it says 'Aged Fuel - run diesel engine to burn off fuel' (before I can use electric again)...
Is your car an old style V60? I don’t think there are any SPA diesel hybrids so if it is you might find someone in the other V60 forum who has a similar problem?
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 19:45   #16
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I tagged onto the original thread from 2021 rather than start again as the aged fuel message applies to various hybrid Volvos, so more chance of a reply?

Might apply to your model as well, but I've done 14000m without the message. I still reckon dodgy fuel supply as I had a 100m cross country journey last week which definitely would have mixed up the fuel in the tank...

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Apr 16th, 2023 at 19:50.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 22:40   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post

Two things:-

1) The Aged Fuel message appeared as I was sitting on the forecourt after filling up.
2) Six months ago my Volvo dealer didn't change the fuel filter properly and it cut out while driving the morning after a major service. They hadn't primed/purged the system. Fortunately the electric bit got me to the garage. But, this was a one off and I've done 7000m since.

It calculates the fuel state by plotting time against volume of fuel used, as a hybrid could get by with very little refuelling and the fuel could get stale.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 23:12   #18
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It calculates the fuel state by plotting time against volume of fuel used, as a hybrid could get by with very little refuelling and the fuel could get stale.
I get that, but I don't get why the message appeared.

i.e Car filled up twice in the previous week then again at the garage, when the message popped up. So, I hadn't had an ev -heavy time of lots of charging but no fuel use. If it had happened last year when I managed over 800m from a 40/45litre tank, I could understand it
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 13:18   #19
neilgorin

I would think if it's diesel and you've filled up recently, then the sensor has gone faulty. Too many sensors on modern cars for things that really would be better not checked!

I would say if running one of the hybrid models or doing a very low mileage on petrol you should consider E5 super unleaded (as classic car drivers do who do low mileages) as the bit that goes off the quickest is the 10% alcohol in the standard E10 petrol.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 14:50   #20
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
I would think if it's diesel and you've filled up recently, then the sensor has gone faulty. Too many sensors on modern cars for things that really would be better not checked!

I would say if running one of the hybrid models or doing a very low mileage on petrol you should consider E5 super unleaded (as classic car drivers do who do low mileages) as the bit that goes off the quickest is the 10% alcohol in the standard E10 petrol.
Yes, very sensible. With my Impreza Turbo I also add a shot of Miller's E10 additive every couple of months to stop / slow the fuel breaking down. P.s. It's still flipping quick !