Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

WOW... A revelation!

Views : 850

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:33   #1
Dylan144GT

Talking WOW... A revelation!

Hi all

I trust the weekend was excellent!? As far as my Volvo was concerned, it was brilliant!

As was told in a previous thread, I recently transplanted a B18 into my '69 144 to replace a B20. I found the B20 a bit tired interms of rev range and was never truely happy with her. It can be said that she wasn't slow, certainly no complaints there, but I felt she could be better.

I then found a '68 142, which was a steel, that had a B18 which felt a little smoother yet needed a ring and big end bearing change. Not to mention a bit of clean up. So a friend and I embarked on this little adventure and 2 weekend of work later we had a "fresh" B18 in the '69 and a tired B20 in the 142.

When we started her up for the first time I felt she was a little rough but you could feel the smoothness of the wind up was better. I had an attempt at setting the clearance of the valves and did the timing by ear and sort of set the carb. Yes I know, save the scorning, but I had never experienced the potential smoothness of a B20/B18 ever. Even driving other B18's that had supposedly just been in for a scheduled tune by the "master" mechanic never felt THAT good. And so I never new any different. Subsequently, in the last few moths after the transplant, I thought I had taken a step backward. I needed to spent time tuning and I was just not getting round to it. The thing I hated most was the clattering of the valves that were hopelessly out of clearance. I cringe at the thought still.

BUT the story has a happy ending... I decided this weekend that it was now time to iron out this rubbish and a friend and I took it on! We started with setting the proper valve clearance after warming her up. We started her after and the sounds was glorious! Not a tick to be heard. Magnifico! Then we checked the dwell. This lead to a bit of disaster as we stripped the hold down screw for the points and had to take the plate out and retap it. It worked for a bit but then stripped again. We eventually decided to take the distributor from the B20, which had a better one anyway (changed from a 009 dizzy to a 003 dizzy). After this minor mishap we set the dwell to be correct. Having done this we got round to the timing and this was fascinating. We marked all the timing marks with white paint and then proceeded. I am still asstounded as to the sensitivity to which the timing is set. Won't ever attempt it with an ear again. The strobo is an amazing tool! The revalation by now was incredible. Smoothness, quietness, it was all there! Lastly was the carb setting. We hooked up the vacuum gauge to the manifold and set it up.

We took the car out for a test drive and it is completely transformed! I can't explain the difference! I mean when in top gear and cruising, a blip of the throtttle and the car just wants to run away. Amazing. Oh, did I mention that the car is only running a single SU-HS6 carb!? Curtisy of Mr. Agent_Strangelove I am awaiting a twin set and I can't wait to feel the difference (If bloody customs would release them I'd be greatful!). She is also SOOOO smooth! I've never felt a B18/B20 engine like it.

I guess the moral of the story is to make sure that the finer details matter and being meticulous really does have its merits. I can now understand why there are guys that spend hour under the bonnets of their cars perfecting their babies!

Guys, I wish the same Volvo experience upon everybody here and the to those who have yet to experience it!

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Jan 12th, 2009 at 08:12. Reason: Spelling ... OOPS! :)
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:06   #2
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default ign

Hi yes there is only one waay to get your pride and joy running well thats the
" RIGHT WAY ".
Although over the years [ to many to remember] I have tuned many cars by ear , to get them running .
Enjoy your car for many years to come.
Regards
Mike B [Byrne]
Ps a few Mike B`s on here !!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 03:13   #3
III888

Default Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu
III888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 06:56   #4
Dylan144GT

Talking

Absolutely Mike, I couldn't agree more.

I'm still amazed everytime I drive the car. There is such serenity. It actually brings peace to me. I just had to again tell you all how much I am enjoying my car!

Dylan
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan144GT For This Useful Post: