Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new c70 revealed

Views : 595

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:48   #1
5lab

http://www.whatcar.com/News_Article....=216179&EL_ID=
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 00:45   #2
RIJKO

Oh dear - what a shame - its been ruined. Back lights with nipples - i thought they might have droped them by now. From an esthetics design give me the old c70!!! The new one may drive better but it isn't going to become a classic
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:25   #3
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: new c70 revealed

I completely agree.

It has changed from a hand assembled, large, gorgeous looking car to a mass produced 307CC beater with 'girlie' looks. It will never become a classic as it just doesn't have the right ingredients.
The front is just way too bland. It needed to be based on the S60/V70 chassis to be called a C70, and it needs the S60R front end. This one should be called the C50.
However I can see the reasons why they didn't used the S60 chassis as it isn't as new as the focus chassis, and that is fair enough, but they should be consistent with their badging.

I won't be changing mine for this one.

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:33   #4
5lab

its actually bigger than the last c70 (apparently) despite the chassis (hence the c70 name).

dunno what you're on about handmade - cars have been built by robots for a long long time..
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:55   #5
SG

No it's physically smaller but there's meant to be the same amount of interior space (although I'm not convinced looking at the various press photos).
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 15:23   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

Exactly. It looks way more cramped to me too.

Also 5lab, I said hand assembled, not hand made. This is a fact that has been previously mentioned on here about first gen C70s. The new ones certainly will not be, nor will they have been styled by the same guy who penned the DB7.

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 19:23   #7
5lab

apparently the length is within 2 inches of the origional.

i think a lot of people dont like this car because it is 'based' on the focus platform, but i personally recon this is a very good thing - it means the car will handle (something the old one wasnt very good at) and it saves money. it doesnt mean anything about the car - i mean an audi a6 which you can easily spend over £50k on is the same platform as the £11,000 skoda octavia. does this mean they are the same car? of course not..
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 21:55   #8
RIJKO

>apparently the length is within 2 inches of the origional.
>
>i think a lot of people dont like this car because it is
>'based' on the focus platform, but i personally recon this is
>a very good thing - it means the car will handle (something
>the old one wasnt very good at) and it saves money. it doesnt
>mean anything about the car - i mean an audi a6 which you can
>easily spend over £50k on is the same platform as the £11,000
>skoda octavia. does this mean they are the same car? of course
>not..

I totally agree with what you are saying and being a current c70 owner myself I know its flaws. I'm sure the new one will have many improvements however as an architect or at least someone interested in design , the new one doesn't cut it, in my humble opinion, the new design won't become a classic, the old one, despite its flaws, is built like a tank and I suspect and indeed hope that its shape and build will make it a classic, however, I could be very wrong, time will tell.