Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA D4 worth a punt?

Views : 777

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 23:10   #1
uknowiama

Default VEA D4 worth a punt?

Had two P3 V70, both with d5 205ps and auto boxes. I steered clear of the VEA d4 because of known issues with egr, egr cooler and piston rings. Starting to look more tempting proposition, but is it worth it with the risks? For decent economy - appreciate from a time where official figures where very optimistic - but even adjusted down should be fairly good? And cheap tax? The auto is an 8 speed with these? Auto box fairly reliable? Or keep to the manual?

I live 5 mins from motorway. Most trips are 30 mins + and occassional longer trips a month. Driving on motorway and dual carriageway a lot. So engine should always be getting fully to temp and dpf regens completing.

Is it worth a punt? Given use case and how common well known problems are and / or likely to have been fixed by now?

Dunno much about, so going to have a mooch around.
uknowiama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uknowiama For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 07:58   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowiama View Post
Had two P3 V70, both with d5 205ps and auto boxes. I steered clear of the VEA d4 because of known issues with egr, egr cooler and piston rings. Starting to look more tempting proposition, but is it worth it with the risks? For decent economy - appreciate from a time where official figures where very optimistic - but even adjusted down should be fairly good? And cheap tax? The auto is an 8 speed with these? Auto box fairly reliable? Or keep to the manual?

I live 5 mins from motorway. Most trips are 30 mins + and occassional longer trips a month. Driving on motorway and dual carriageway a lot. So engine should always be getting fully to temp and dpf regens completing.

Is it worth a punt? Given use case and how common well known problems are and / or likely to have been fixed by now?
The VEA V70s are vulnerable to both oil consumption and EGR cooler issues. So far, I have been lucky with my 2014 V70 D4 regarding oil consumption but not everyone has been. I also believe that even the last V70s were built too early to have received an engine with the redesigned pistons and rings.

Since I bought my V70 in 2018 it has also needed two new EGR coolers. Volvo paid for the first, but I had to pay for the second. A new cooler every three years seems to be the pattern for me.

The 8-speed autobox seems to be OK. My car has done around 165,000 miles and the autobox has been fine with regular servicing. Similarly, I've had no DPF issues. To be honest, I've never actually been aware of the DPF.

If ULEZ isn't an issue, then I'd also be considering a D5. Later examples are quite rare, but they do exist.

In short, if you can get a VEA-engined V70 D4 wherein the pistons and rings have been replaced with the newer design ones, wherein the valve stem oil seals have been replaced, wherein there was no associated cylinder scoring that hasn't been addressed, and wherein the seller is trustworthy enough to be believed when they say that the repair has worked, then you should be ok.

Similarly, if the seller says that the oil consumption is OK anyway, and if they can be believed on this point (which probably eliminates most sellers in the motor trade) then you should be OK.

In short, you need a good example, but determining whether or not any specific example is good is the real challenge.

From the perspective of ownership, I have no plans to part with my V70 anytime soon. It's a good one and its value to me is far greater than its value in the marketplace. What else could I buy for what its worth? Nothing that I would want, and that's for sure.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 16:45   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowiama View Post

If buying a D4, you need to be buying one well up in the years like 2017 onwards, but it wouldn't be a V70 then, it would be a V90. This is approximately when they redesigned things and improved, but according to my mechanic, the D4's / other VEA engines aren't as good as the older 5 cylinder D5's. Yes the D4 is better on fuel, but they aren't as frugal.

As mentioned above, if ULEZ isn't an issue, I think the older D5 (5 cylinder D5, not the new 4 cylinder D5) is a safer bet. The 5 cylinder may cost more on fuel, but its a better engine.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 13th, 2024 at 16:48.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 19:25   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Had one of these engines all be it the D3 in a V60 but basically the same, was quick, fantastic on fuel and pretty refined. Got to 50 ish thousand miles and then that’s when the problems started. All the usual well documented suspects EGR, oil leaks, oil consumption. It had to go. Went back to 5 cylinders. Tho it only takes an auxiliary belt to fail and kill a 5 cylinder so there not 100% perfect.

Me personally I wouldn’t buy a V70 with the VEA because of issues. Some are lucky but after my own experience I wouldn’t chance it again.

However if I was wanting a V90CC for example, which I think is a fabulous car which I love the style of, I haven’t got a choice. I’d go for 2017 onwards and just accept the risk as you can’t do anything about it as there all the same engine. Tho I can’t bring myself to do it yet as I don’t want the disappointment of engine trouble but I can’t see me buying anything but a volvo so for now I’m staying put.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 21:20   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Yes, when Volvo changed to the VEA engines around 2014 approx, all are 4 cylinder with just varying power outputs. So even though a newer car (2014 onwards) may be badged D5 for example, its not a 5 cylinder... Its a 4 cylinder VEA engine, not to be confused with the older 5 cylinder D5's like the P2's and P3's had.

Just something to be aware of in your car search.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 07:40   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Yes, when Volvo changed to the VEA engines around 2014 approx, all are 4 cylinder with just varying power outputs. So even though a newer car (2014 onwards) may be badged D5 for example, its not a 5 cylinder... Its a 4 cylinder VEA engine, not to be confused with the older 5 cylinder D5's like the P2's and P3's had.

Just something to be aware of in your car search.
Ish.

The 5-cylinder diesel engine remained in production in AWD versions of the first generation XC60, in the first generation XC90, in AWD versions of the XC70, in AWD versions of the P3 platform V60 Cross Country, and in the P3 platform V60 Twin Engines until these cars all finished production.

There were even a ULEZ-compliant 5-cylinder D4 and D5 engines produced that found their way into later AWD XC60s and XC70s etc. but, bit by bit, the usage of the engine dwindled away until all cars were based upon the SPA platform, at which time all engines were VEA.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 10:55   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Ish.

There were even a ULEZ-compliant 5-cylinder D4 and D5 engines produced that found their way into later AWD XC60s and XC70s etc. but, bit by bit, the usage of the engine dwindled away until all cars were based upon the SPA platform, at which time all engines were VEA.
Interesting.
Do you know how they made an AWD auto ULEZ compliant?? And if so would it be possible to transfer the tech to non ULEZ compliant vehicles. It must be significant kit as even my 5 pot 2015MY D5 Manual is not ULEZ compliant, and auto +AWD make that task harder to achieve. Don't recall any 5 pot having ad blue???
Cheers Bob.
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 13:05   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Interesting.
Do you know how they made an AWD auto ULEZ compliant?? And if so would it be possible to transfer the tech to non ULEZ compliant vehicles. It must be significant kit as even my 5 pot 2015MY D5 Manual is not ULEZ compliant, and auto +AWD make that task harder to achieve. Don't recall any 5 pot having ad blue???
Cheers Bob.
Those very late 5-cylinder diesels are Euro 6 which, to my understanding, is about greatly reduced emission of Nitrogen oxides.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 15:24   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Ish.

The 5-cylinder diesel engine remained in production in AWD versions of the first generation XC60, in the first generation XC90, in AWD versions of the XC70, in AWD versions of the P3 platform V60 Cross Country, and in the P3 platform V60 Twin Engines until these cars all finished production.

Yeah, there's model variance from when the VEA engines were introduced. When I'm looking, especially on Autotrader, I click on "performance" underneath the advert of the vehicle I'm looking at and check the number of cylinders. If its a newer diesel Volvo and it has 4 cylinders, then I know its the VEA engine.

I have seen some euro 6 D5's (true 5 cylinder ones), but they appear to be as rare as hen's teeth. Or at least, none are available within 40 miles the last time I checked. That's about as far as I'd go, just being honest. It would have to be a bargain for me to travel across the country.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 15:29   #10
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Those very late 5-cylinder diesels are Euro 6 which, to my understanding, is about greatly reduced emission of Nitrogen oxides.
I’ve just purchased a 2017 V60 Cross Country D4 AWD auto which is the 2.4L 5 cyl engine and euro 6. Only had it a few days so don’t know much about it, I had to travel quite a way to find one but I’m a 5 cylinder enthusiast so didn’t want the VEA engine