Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ultra Specific Question Alloys on 144

Views : 830

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2008, 21:57   #1
Sam Barker

Smile Ultra Specific Question Alloys on 144

Hello all,
I got the set of Torslanda "BBS" alloys that were advertised a while back. I was expecting to need a set of nuts with a different should taper but it looks like they have a steel insert and so the standard nuts would fit. Am I correct? I'm hoping the answer is "yes, slap them on and take it on a track" rather than "Nope, don't even offer them up to the car, it'll be the fastest way to crash you could think of, those ones with steel inserts were built as an elaborate joke".

The 740 steelies have the rally knobblies on, I don't want to wreck them driving on the road and track.

Cheers!

Sam
Sam Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 13:52   #2
Snowman
never knowingly slow

I use standard steel nuts on my Virgos and never had a problem.

Probably not specific enough, sorry!!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 20:01   #3
Sam Barker

Hi Snowman,
Do the Virgos have a steel insert also? I only ask because I had a golf that had steelies which I put Alloys on, then when I looked at the tapers they were entirely different due to the contact area required to stop the nuts essentially "pulling through" the ally. Similarly when I did a similar thing with a Jag I had (thank christ that's gone!), the nuts had a captive washer to increase the mating surfaces.

I personally think that these steel inserts are another good example of Volvo being conservative in design, I just thought I'd fish for opinions.....

Cheers!

Sam
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 17:12   #4
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Not got the faintest idea! I do know the tapers on my steel nuts are identical to the longer ones that came with the wheels.

The Virgos have stood up to some hard punishment on event and coped well with no sign of the nuts coming loose.

Still uselessly non-specific!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 19:58   #5
sandycowe

Default 144

do you have the steel wheels ?? i need a set for my 144 it currently has glt alloys
sandycowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 22:39   #6
Sam Barker

Hi Mate,
I doubt you'd want my original ones, although if you get desperate you could, shod with utterley knackoed rally tyres at the mo. I know if a set near you and have told my mate who has them, he should get in touch and let you know how much he's after, if indeed he does want to flog them.

Cheers!

Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Barker For This Useful Post: