Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water De-coke

Views : 3123

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 16:52   #11
BigGreenThing

James, can you recall which vacuum pipe you used? Once i have which pipe is used - I'm going to go for it!
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 17:53   #12
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I can't - but any on the manifold or below the carb will do.

From memory there's one for the breather system (on the back of the manifold, below the carb?) which you could remove, attach a short length of hose in its place for the purpose of conducting the "Chinese Water Torture", then replace it when you're done.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 22:14   #13
BigGreenThing

Excellent. Cheers James. Thanks for the handy hint. I'll have a go tomorrow and feedback on my Solex experience! Cheers chap!
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 22:41   #14
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I did this on my 360 (with the Solex CISAC), and works a treat. I fed it perhaps half a pint of water over a couple of minutes by having a friend hold the engine at around 3000rpm, then dipping a vacuum hose in and out of the water every few seconds...usually withdrawing it as it starts to mis-fire, then replacing it once the misfire has cleared.

cheers

James
Ahem.......

As I recall you held it at 3000rpm whilst I did the dipping of the pipe in the water.

Something to do with you refusing to take responsibility for blowing up your own engine and feeling much better if someone else blew it up and then had to pay for the repair.........

Anyway, the point is that it worked and made the car much more driveable, idle more sweetly and generally run sweeter. It is definitely worth doing, but be careful - only small amounts of water at a time and for short periods only.
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:44   #15
BigGreenThing

Just one last question - can I dribble water down the hose that connects from the top of the air inlet to the PCV valve? If I can - then I think I've finally sussed out what I need to do and where!

Cheers

JG
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 18:01   #16
Volvon
Master Member

little report, car running sweeter than ever, 'ran on' twice out of 10 stops, whereas it used to run on 9 times out of 10. So improvement but still not perfect, but proof that it surely works! I only done it for 5 mins twice. So probably a 15 min session would be perfect.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 13:12   #17
redboy
Master Member

I can confirm that this works well. I learned it 20 years ago on my first car, a '65 Corvair. It was an 'old lady' car, and this trick is a good first step if you're buying a car that had only been used to go to and from the shops. Because the Corvair was a downdraught carb, I used our old coke bottle with the 'sprinkle' ironing end to drip water so that I didn't get too much in there. My dad's white Corolla was parked next to the exhaust, and was covered in soot! oops.

I've also done a redex decoke on a 2 stroke engine. What that involved was pouring redex into the engine through the spark plug holes. Turning the engine over a few times with the plugs out to coat everything and pump out any excess. let it sit overnight, turn the engine by hand slowly to make sure its not locked, then start up, making sure there is nothing valuable (like one's father's car) next to the exhaust. This is best done at night, when the neighbours can't see the cloud of smoke.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redboy For This Useful Post: