Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 DL 1 Owner From New

Views : 3543

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 09:35   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Well after going through this car , this is what i found:
what do you think was it a good deal ?
Yes it has gone to a good home , the car is worth getting back to perfect condition and will be kept for a long time by it's new owner !

Large dent rear corner of right rear wing , this is the only fault actually pointed out , because you cant miss it .

Big hole rusted through inner wing under battery big enough to put your fist through a 6 inch square area needed repair , bodged up with underseal .
Battery and tray was insecure and loose due to this . MOT fail on two counts although recently had a fresh one .

NOT Zeibarted at all just a few blobs of hardened grease messing up the bonnet mounting hinges , this car were wax injected at the factory .

Tailgate fills with water when it rains

Tyres 12 years old

Rear bumper has had a hefty whack all along , bent and plastic distorted

Front bumper has had a whack on R/H front ,bent

Sill HAS been welded on R/H side half way along

Right front wing multiple dents

left door multiple dents

3 small rust spots and kick marks on drivers sill step

Nasty rust blister on bottom of driver's door

Front grille chrome corroded due to acid cleaner .

Both door seals badly worn rotted .

tailgate seal distorted and leaking .

Clutch drag, grating selecting Reverse .

Trim missing from rear side window hinge .

front seat upholstery not taught , and lumpy . turned out to be the seat heaters all puckered up and broken and drivers seat lumbar support broken

Some light rust around rear chassis but will dust off and easily treated once tank is out .

apart from all that it is like new everywhere and I HAVE looked .. And still glad i bought it ..

oh and i haven't driven it yet !

What do i notice is better or worse than my 1980 343 ...

Better :

Better rust proofing , factory wax injected .

a decent fan on the heater really blasts you with air much improved air flow , also pre adapted for AC .

Slightly more powerful brake servo

Lighter steering due to 155 tyres rather than 175

Handbrake leverage is increased = less effort needed

A rear wiper AND washer

Radio mounted higher where you can see it .

centre lap belt

fuel cut off device on decelerating and electric fan giving an extra 2 bhp and should save some fuel .

Internally adjustable mirrors !

Top tinted blue windscreen

Worse :

The paint quality , much thinner and much softer, red on cream primer .

The door seals are inferior quality compared to the old car .

Pedal rubbers worn more than my 1980 250000 mile 343

The window and gutter trims are faded plastic chrome instead of stainless steel

steering wheel seems closer to you .

Drivers seating position more closed in not as much space .Probably due to the dash coming in further to the car.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 12:31   #22
SteveP
300 Maniac

I'm surprised with the list of problems, given how it was presented in the advert. Not so sure Id've gone through with the purchase if I'd gone to see it as there are plenty coming out of the woodwork at the moment.

Saying that, on the surface it looks really nice and given that it's already had some welding etc it actually probably makes more sense as a daily driver.

Always thought that the step to chrome 'look' gutter trims was a bad move, as they discolour and fade compared to the stainless!

If you're after front/rear bumper replacements I may know of a good source if you haven't sourced them already.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 13:01   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I'm surprised with the list of problems, given how it was presented in the advert. Not so sure Id've gone through with the purchase if I'd gone to see it as there are plenty coming out of the woodwork at the moment.

Saying that, on the surface it looks really nice and given that it's already had some welding etc it actually probably makes more sense as a daily driver.

Always thought that the step to chrome 'look' gutter trims was a bad move, as they discolour and fade compared to the stainless!

If you're after front/rear bumper replacements I may know of a good source if you haven't sourced them already.
Regarding the plastic chrome gutter and window trims , i found that it was the plastic covering which had faded, a bit of T cut and polish brought them up to a presentable level .

3 weeks ago i made a list of parts i wanted , 2 people on e-bay with suitable cars being broken for spares , with one thing and another neither are coming up with the goods yet .
One person on here has been looking for the last three weeks nothing heard from him for a week .
so i may come back to you ! Thanks

Late news:
The speedo needle wobbles ( Cable ) ,
The trip counter doesnt work
and the needle sticks at 20 mph sometimes !

Last edited by Clan; Aug 15th, 2014 at 14:51.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote