Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uneasy at these events.

Views : 3372

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2018, 09:42   #51
Spike56
Master Member

Yet again it seems everyone is focused on being reported. If as in your example no one's around, how can you be reported? What makes you think anyone is interested in doing so? You probably already know where the 'safety' cameras are in your area too.

Yes, big brother is watching and yes it is troubling, but it still comes down to you wanting to do whatever you want on the roads.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 22:21   #52
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
I would assume (in my brain dead opinion), that a one way street remains a one way street and the only way you could drive 'the wrong way' would be under the orders of an 'authority. It still remains, however, a one way street, it doesn't miraculously become a two way street or even a 'wrong direction' motorway.

How often do you drive along the 'hard shoulder' when there is a jam? Or do you simply tuck your tail between your legs and obey the law like all the other 'sheeple'? And if you don't use the hard shoulder, why not?
So if a one way street is closed off at the end are you going to sit there until "orders of authority" actually come and tell you to turn around? That would be brain dead!
We don't drive on hard shoulder here as they are for breakdowns and emergencies, to use the hard shoulder would lead to more congestion and slow traffic even more, that would be stupid!
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 23:55   #53
Spike56
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
It may have escaped members attention that some 80+ drivers are to be fined and have points added to their licences for driving off the M11, after the road was closed and traffic halted following an accident, but driving the wrong way to do so.
Evidence for this offence being provided by dash cam footage from cars and drivers which were there at the time
So the o.p. was about people driving the wrong way down the motorway hard shoulder. Now aside from the illegality of this there is the probability of meeting a speeding emergency vehicle or two coming along the same hard shoulder attending the scene of the accident.

Are YOU the kind of person that encounters slow moving or stationary traffic on the motorway and thinks let me just turn around and go back to the last junction? Are you the kind of person that encounters a closed one way street and drives down it expecting to get out the other end?

The o.p. was about the increased incidence of people willing to drop dash cam (and cctv) footage in to the police and the police forces willingness to use the footage to prosecute so called offenders, and whether this is a trend which we should worry about. Big Brother. It then descended into the use of terms such as f*wits and brain dead to describe the people who actually obey the law with patience and calm.

Hey ho. There are the majority that try not to behave in a way that upsets others and there are those who think that common courtesy is not their thing. Each to their own. Happy motoring.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 07:44   #54
Black dog

Read the above quote again. Road closed and traffic halted! If the road was closed you would be going the wrong way either direction! Do people have the right to leave or are they captive?

Last edited by Black dog; Nov 9th, 2018 at 07:48.
Black dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 08:10   #55
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Read the above quote again. Road closed and traffic halted! If the road was closed you would be going the wrong way either direction! Do people have the right to leave or are they captive?
The law states that you can only travel in the wrong direction on the Motorway under the instructions of the Emergency services. The Entry slip may have been closed off but until the Emergency Services put into action the plan to send people the wrong way up the carriageway & sliproad then yes you are effectively captive. Same as if your train suffers a failure (Oh we've had that recently as well)

I've been stuck on the motorway due to an accident for many hours in the past, I'm afraid it's one of those things. Why people assume they can just drive the wrong way up the hard shoulder & sliproads just baffles me.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 12:39   #56
Spike56
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Read the above quote again
My point is that you would not be likely to be on a street that's closed anyway!

On a motorway you have no right to leave if that involves reckless or careless driving. You may have permission to leave if granted by an 'authority'.

Oh, and going back a few posts...https://www.historyhit.com/1965-intr...d-limit-in-uk/

So nothing to do with fuel issues, more about attempting to save lives!
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 12:48   #57
Billggski

I've always wondered why there aren't gates in the central reservation every ten miles or so to turn traffic around if the motorway is blocked.
Some closures seem out of proportion to the actual incident, one was 14 hours for a suspicious liquid container under a bridge, which turned out to be harmless.
The French seem to shove everything to the side and sort out the details later.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 13:26   #58
Spike56
Master Member

There are emergency access points at intervals along motorways and there were gates in the central reservations, but I'm not sure these days if they still exist.

But a brilliant idea if only we had enough manpower to handle it!

The central reservation could be problematic as in use it would involve stopping the 'otherside' traffic (you would effectively be crossing straight onto the 'fast' lane first).

Last night I travelled from Junction 4 M25 down to the A21 towards Tonbridge. Once we got near to the Hildenborough turn off it was quite obvious that the road through Hildenborough was chock a block. I passed the junction (on a bend) and came into 2 lanes (and the slip road) of solid traffic. Once here there is no other turn off until Tonbridge. Traffic proceeded to chug along at 3 mph! Right down to Tonbridge! You can see the old road at times. It would have been good to get off but wouldn't have made any difference!

I always find that when I'm in a traffic jam the traffic news on the radio NEVER mentions the one I'm in! How do they do that?
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 15:42   #59
cheshired5
Premier Member

If they did have breaks in the central reservation which could be opened for u-turns, I still don't think the turning circle on my S60 would make it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 15:50   #60
Spike56
Master Member

Try the old S80!