Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time For Regular Service/Huge Outlay

Views : 2059

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 08:06   #21
reggit
Premier Member

Just invading from the v70 section 😂
Looking at your costs two things stand out, firstly the 2015 service at a different garage is at least half the price of the previous one - ok, don’t know what was done, but it tells me a story.
Also the callipers replaces trice in consecutive years doesn’t make sense. I’d suggest getting rid of this garage as soon as possible!

OK, I’m a DIY’er and have a less complex car than the 90, but those bills seem outlandish to me. Reminds me of the mot garage I used to use where brake pipes needed changing every year, change of garage and they never corroded again!
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:29   #22
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Yes you have to know your car - have a mate who has an older BMW and made the mistake of falling for their offer of cheaper rates for an older car! They told him he needed new disks - there was hardly a lip on them!! To be fair, in a previous episode the ABS rings on the rear had corroded and BMW replaced pretty much the whole of the rear axle set as apparently you cannot buy the rings separately!! Fortunately, his car was still in warranty at that time so he benefited at BMW's expense but now is out of warranty I have persuaded him to find a good indie which he has done. Again, to be fair to BMW the car was nearly 7 years old and the rings were still covered under a warranty.

Another good ruse which still used is to spray oil on the shocks which are then an MOT failure - if you do not check your own car how will you ever know? Even if they present the old ones how many people would know how to check them? Caveat emptor.

BTW - I am not immune, went for a single tyre last year and ended up being convinced I needed all 4! To be fair there was an imbalance at the front and they claimed the front tyres were buckled due to pot holes. I am still not sure about that one!!
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 10:06   #23
giw12

Morning All

I've just been chatting to an indie I'm considering for my imminent service and turns out they don't use VIDA.

Is that fairly normal (given the costs of VIDA subscriptions) or do I look elsewhere?

Thank you
giw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:11   #24
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I'm not surprised that he doesn't have the "Professional" full fat VIDA with subscriptions like the dealer would have - but I am surprised he doesn't have the "Amateur" VIDA like we can all buy from Cheshired5 or Vindo. (other suppliers are available...)

Might be worth asking him how he diagnoses/resets error codes etc?

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:27   #25
giw12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
I'm not surprised that he doesn't have the "Professional" full fat VIDA with subscriptions like the dealer would have - but I am surprised he doesn't have the "Amateur" VIDA like we can all buy from Cheshired5 or Vindo. (other suppliers are available...)

Might be worth asking him how he diagnoses/resets error codes etc?

Cheers

Dave
He’s got a generic code reader...not sure on brand
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:40   #26
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

If he doesn't have Vida I would not be using him.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 13:15   #27
giw12

Inclined to agree, additionally as he was going to call me straight back over 5 hours ago.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 14:32   #28
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

You need someone with more than a generic code reader - simply too much electronics in the Volvo. Any garage with a modular diagnostics tool such as snap-on or Bosch is fine (as they can attach the correct module for the car) but obviously Vida is best. The Indie I use has Vida which is a reassurance.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 12:44   #29
giw12

In the end I went with my regular indy for the 13 year service.

Total cost, including 2 new tyres fitted and an ABS ring to address Anti Skid/Brake Assist Service messages, plus a considerable amount of diagnosis for brake fluid (see other thread), came to a shade under £750.

I'm pretty happy with that to be honest!
The Following User Says Thank You to giw12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 16:46   #30
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Thanks for closing this out - always good to have a happy ending

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote