Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 2.0 1990 Fuel Sensor/Gauge

Views : 1025

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:41   #1
Essex

Default Volvo 240 2.0 1990 Fuel Sensor/Gauge

Hi there
have recently purchased this wonderful car and am so impressed. My only concern is that once the fuel gauge gets down to approx. quarter of a tank the gauge goes right down passed the red mark and stays there.

As this car is new to me lm really not sure how much fuel l have left in the tank, havent even had time to establish the total mileage for say £30 worth of fuel.

So my question, could someone please advise on how, where and approx. costs to have the fuel sensor replaced etc

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 15:26   #2
Peter D
Peter D

Replacement fuel sensor comes complete with lifter pump and pipework £240 Plus Vat from memory. My 1993 240 gauge is not linear and does drop quite quickly below a quarter but it does not just fall to zero. There is a wiper arm type sweeped resistor track that produces the current for the gauge but to remove the whole tank insert to see if you can bend the arm a bit would be a nighmare, trust me. Ples you will probabley break the pipes off and need a new one anyway. First check the volage at the connector just inside the inspection cover when the tank is showing empty and tell me what voltage you have. And when you fill it right up does the gauge say FULL. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 14:16   #3
Essex

Hi Peter
Thanks for your response. The approx cost you mentioned is more than l paid for the car itself...lol

I am a complete novice in respect to the worknig of cars etc so checking the voltage as you mentioned isnt something l would do.

In respect to your question does the fule gauge go up when filling up...yes it does

I feel that it is something l will have to live with and just make sure that l have the petrol can in the boot.

Thanks again for your response, it certainly answered my question and has given me food for thought
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:30   #4
Peter D
Peter D

If it goes to full then it is not a connection problem as this is the lwere resistance end of the pot. Either the track is worn out or the wiper is too light. Then are a fortune to change so just fill the tank up and press the mileometer and when you get to 220/240 fill up again. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote