Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No heat seat

Views : 1647

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 18:42   #1
mrhook

Unhappy No heat seat

Volvo V70 my06 2.4l 170hp. Nothin fancy pancy. Just bought the car and the dealer and he refuses to sort it out, which leaves me in dispair of trying to fix it myself.

So I have no heat seat i either seats, drivers nor passenger side. I have voltage 15 volt to the thingy under the seats and meassured the seat elements to about 1 ohm in resistance.

What could possibly be the fault since the elements and the voltage is there and correct. Could it be the CCM or some relay spooking arround?

Would be so happy to get them working to the winter.

(excuse my poor eng writing, not native)
mrhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 19:21   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

You should be getting battery voltage going into the heater module and much less voltage coming out to the pad plugs...... around 5v delivered in pulses/waves so check the module out voltage.

Pad resistance needs to be less than 1ohm.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 19:29   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I believe it uses what is known as pulse width modulation (PWM) whereby the voltage is switched on and off rapidly to control the temperature. That means you can't just connect up a 12v to the element and expect it to work. Likewise, you may not be able to get an accurate reading with a digital multimeter as demonstrated by the 15v you are seeing.

Can't offer much assistance with regard to resolving the problem with the dealer other than it's a 10+ year old used car and it's not they type of mechanical fault that a dealer warranty would normally cover.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 19:30   #4
mrhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You should be getting battery voltage going into the heater module and much less voltage coming out to the pad plugs...... around 5v delivered in pulses/waves so check the module out voltage.

Pad resistance needs to be less than 1ohm.
On one of the circuits I had 0.4 ohms and the other about 1.3 ohms and we gotta take off about 0.3-4 ohms for the multimeter cables. So the OHM should be fine I supose. Check the connectors that nothin seemed burnt there.

I have 15 volts in and should have about 5 volts out, ok... will check that and see if that is the case.

Lets say that I ahve everything on the right side in that perspective that the seat is all fine. What could be wrong apart from that?
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 19:32   #5
mrhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
I believe it uses what is known as pulse width modulation (PWM) whereby the voltage is switched on and off rapidly to control the temperature. That means you can't just connect up a 12v to the element and expect it to work. Likewise, you may not be able to get an accurate reading with a digital multimeter as demonstrated by the 15v you are seeing.

Can't offer much assistance with regard to resolving the problem with the dealer other than it's a 10+ year old used car and it's not they type of mechanical fault that a dealer warranty would normally cover.
I know that but in the car declaration it is stated that they are under normal funtion and not that they are faulty. But we'll see in the future what is resolved and not in that matter. WOuld be nice though if I got some heat

So PWM that aint easy to test I guess, but could it be a faulty CCM since the signal is sent from there?
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 19:57   #6
mrhook

The fault codes I have for this issue are: CCM-DD12 and CCM-DD30, no signal to either seat.

Could it be the relay-box under the seat that have broken on both sides.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 21:15   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhook View Post
On one of the circuits I had 0.4 ohms and the other about 1.3 ohms and we gotta take off about 0.3-4 ohms for the multimeter cables. So the OHM should be fine I supose.
Check your leads resistance again. I would expect 0.1 to a maximum of 0.2 even on cheap leads which would give a net reading over 1.0 ohm which may be too high.

Let us know when you get a module out voltage at the plugs.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 08:32   #8
mrhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Check your leads resistance again. I would expect 0.1 to a maximum of 0.2 even on cheap leads which would give a net reading over 1.0 ohm which may be too high.

Let us know when you get a module out voltage at the plugs.
I have now tried to meassure the cables and this is what I have found if you have a look att the picture.

The thermostat or thirmister i did not manage to get a reading of in either voltage nor ohm's.

I have checked the fuses on the dashboard side and they are fine. But I have no clue to if there are any fuses in the CEM that could be faulty if someone is pointing to towards the fuses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edited.jpg (115.0 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by mrhook; Oct 4th, 2016 at 08:57.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 08:55   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

So you have volts into the module but not out which could point towards a faulty module but on the thermostat pins, you should be getting a few thousand ohms at least so if that is open circuit, I would say that your problem lies there.
To be certain, unplug the seat base and resistance test the thermostat pins again.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 09:22   #10
mrhook

For some more information I alsao tested the input side to the seat which can be viewed in the picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edited-2.jpg (134.4 KB, 36 views)