Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 v8 awd towing

Views : 900

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 23:09   #1
Scalix

Default S80 v8 awd towing

Hello all,

I would like you point of view about using my S80 V8 to tow. In fact the car has 66000 mile with no tow bar on it. I would like to put a taw bar to tow sometimes an horse box with one or two horses.

Thanks
Scalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 05:51   #2
Thommykent

look for how much you can tow owners manual
Thommykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 22:47   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

You need to know how heavy the horses and the horse box are to see if the total is lees than the max for the car?
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 21:11   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It will be a good tow car no doubt....

But as been said - check the weights (sticker on the back of the b-post (open the passenger door) or row O.1 on the V5C). However there's probably not much to worry about (for one horse anyway) - if my recollection is correct the S80 V8 is AWD and has a maximum braked trailer weight of 2 ton - just 250Kg less than a Mk1 XC90.

A decent box will weigh 800-1000 Kg, for example a Ifor 510 is 1 ton dead, leaving you about the same for the load.

My counsel would be...

- Get a decent towbar, get the dealer to fit the proper electrics kit (not expensive)

- I believe you will have 4C - Tow in Sport mode to reduce sway caused by the trailer

- Next time you buy tyres, get something M+S biased

- Be careful, with that stallion under the bonnet you might not notice that the horsebox is there and give dobbin a fright....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 25th, 2018 at 21:23.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 21:52   #5
Whyman
Premier Member

If the horse box is 1000kg then two horses will be well over the 2000kg limit unless they are small ponies!
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 22:44   #6
Scalix

Hey,

I checked and i can tow 2t. I think that will be fine for two small sport horse but not two cob.

Regarding the towbar do you have any advice about brand and model/type ? Can i fit the towbar myself and ask the dealer to do the electric ? I haven't the four-c does that will be a problem ?

I like the idea of M+S tyre. My dad has some pirelli scorpio on his xc90 and they are brilliant. What do you think about the scorpio all season ? Any alternative ? My tyre size is 225/50 r17.

Regarding the gearbox / transfer box / axle do you advice to do a fluid change ? The car has 66000miles.

Yeah the engine will be powerfull enough ! We will need to drive carefully
Scalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 00:04   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

With regard to the towbar - just stick to a good brand like Witter or Volvo original. I *think* it's the same rear end as the Mk 3 V70 - maybe someone can confirm? E-Bay is worth a look as there are many sellers offering kits at good prices. Decide if you want detachable or not...

Yes you can fit it yourself as it's a bolt on job - you may need to cut the bumper though. Best to get the dealer to fit a genuine Volvo electrics kit for a number of reasons. Many people on here have fitted their own bars DIY and then had the dealer wire them in. Some software changes are needed.

It's not a big deal if you don't have 4C - the setup is likely to be between Comfort and Sport anyway.

A very good idea to change the oil in your gearbox and Haldex coupling at 66k, regardless of whether you tow or not. If you're not confident about doing a full change yourself - just do a sump dump and top up about 4 times with 200+ miles in between. Many articles on here about doing that. The transfer box and diff should be fine, but if you are inclined then it's always a good idea to change the oil in them too.

When I suggested tyres I mean more that you are likely to be towing across muddy fields etc. rather than the weather. For muddy fields normal winter car tyres can be ineffective. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season are a pretty good all round compromise and reasonably priced, I have them on my XC70. However you would need to go up a size to 225/55 R17. I'm sure they will fit okay as that car was also offered with 18" wheels (on 235/50 R18).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote