Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Diesel conversion

Views : 1878

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2002, 18:19   #1
TomW

Default 240 Diesel conversion

Have been told by a friend its possible to put a Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel engine and gearbox into my 240. Has anyone done this and are there any nasty niggles. What mpg can I expect?
All advice welcome.
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2002, 20:36   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: 240 Diesel conversion

Might be possible but I suppose anything is possible if you are prepared to hack the car around a bit. Four points worth considering are engine mountings, gear stick hole , length of propshaft/coupling and exhaust. If you can overcome these points (if indeed there is a problem in any of these areas) then why not ? There is plenty of space under the bonnet. Hoses, cable and electrics dont really pose any real problems. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2002, 00:51   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

What is wrong with obtaining the diesel engine that is already fitted to the 200/700/900 ranges? You could be the first chap with a turbodiesel intercooled 240 on your block. IIRC the Ford engine you are looking at is even more gutless than the D24s (non turbo, non intercooler) engine fitted to the 240 in the first place.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 13:02   #4
George Holmer

Indeed, stay away from Ford diesels pre Mondeo Mark III, they are awful. My neighbour has a very well kept Sapphire TD that she loves but when I came home with my 740 TD, she asked to test drive it, she could not believe that it was a diesel.

George
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:45   #5
johndglynn

Absolutely, those 2.3D engines are awful things - if you do intend to try the swap (the donor car will be supercheap, one advantage) then take your Sierra for an MOT/emissions check before ripping the running gear out of it, the last one I had failed on the smoke test in a major way. Could be a lot of effort for next to nothing in the end, few would pay a great deal extra for all your hard work if you ever sell it.

johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote