Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230K engine conversion to B230FT

Views : 4593

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:33   #11
EYB

Hi Mike

Thanks for the assistance! I still do not get what you mean by "box, "turbo box" and gear remote in your previous mesage. While with your recent message, if the donor FT vehicle came with a manual transmission, does that mean I have a problem ?

By the way, if you can direct me to a source where I can buy the manuals, let me know.

Thanks again.
EYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:02   #12
EYB

Default B230k to B230Ft conversion

Hi Mike

I just found out that the donor engine parts will be coming from a B21FT engine. The owner said that I should use the intake/injection system of a 1989 740 engine which eh claims to be bulletproof and less problematic. I still have to confirm with the seller if he has these ('89 740) components available.

I would like to hear your views regarding this.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 15:00   #13
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYB View Post
Hi Mike

Thanks for the assistance! I still do not get what you mean by "box, "turbo box" and gear remote in your previous mesage. While with your recent message, if the donor FT vehicle came with a manual transmission, does that mean I have a problem ?

By the way, if you can direct me to a source where I can buy the manuals, let me know.

I just found out that the donor engine parts will be coming from a B21FT engine. The owner said that I should use the intake/injection system of a 1989 740 engine which eh claims to be bulletproof and less problematic. I still have to confirm with the seller if he has these ('89 740) components available.

Thanks again.

OK when I refer to box I am using this as an abreviated form of gearbox i.e manual transmission - turbo box as a reference to one which was original equipment on a turbo engined car.

Gear remote refers to linkage from the box to the gear lever - this is different length between 200 and 700 series.

If you are using motronic injection which I assume is on the 89 740 you will need crank position sensor and suitable flywheel (from an auto if you are keeping an auto) - your existing flywheel is not suitable and the bell housing will need notching out to take the sensor.

You also say about parts coming from a B21F. This suggests to me that you are intending using that head with the B230K bottom end. A couple of problems I see straight away is the pistons will be wrong and thereare diffrences in the head. The main thing is you will not be able to fit a cam belt cover. Also there will be issues over fitting the turbo regarding oil feeds

Whilst it is possible to build up an engine and management system out of various bits and pieces it is fair easier and will cause far less problems to be able to transfer a complete good running engine and gearbos complete with its management system and wiring. For a start you know that everything is working before you start the project and know any problems have to centre around mistakes made on the wiring side of things. If it has been built out of various bits there is far more potential for problems. Unless you know the ins and outs of all the different engines personally I would avoid building one up. I have had a lot of experience working with various of the B21, B23, B200 and B230 engines and have at various times experimented with matching up parts but you do really need to be sure of what you are doing. the last thing you want is an incompatible head and pistons.

If this is a first project I would strongly advise keep it simple. Even then it will probably take you tree times as long as you expect and cost at least twice as much as you budgeted for.

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off - I just want you to succeed so keep it simple.

As regards manuals as I said before I should be able in due course supply scans of all the electrical info you will need. Even then it will take you many hours of studying tio work out what is needed. On mine I never did get the idle control to work - just fitted a mechanical one instead!

Again don't be afraid to ask for any help you need - I will try to answer and help as far as I can - certainly if you do go ahead I will try and guide you as far as possible.

Mike

When you say about

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 18:12   #14
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Hi Mike

In that case you may find some of the manuals here:

http://www.k-jet.org/docs.html

and select 'greenbooks'
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:03   #15
EYB

Hi Mike

Thanks again for being very objective. I must agree, when the supplier told me about the hybrid parts (740/B21FT) are from 2 different engines, I started having second thoughts. You are right, this kind of project should come from a single running donor engine to make diagnostics easy, should a problem arise.

Not to mention that transmission conversions (e.g. flywheel, linkage, etc.) that is also needed.

I know that in the US, the use of carburetors are outdated already. I recently purchased a Volvo Penta (marine)AQ-125 dual intake manifold with original (but requires reconditioning) Solex carbs that will drop in to a 240 head. It is basically a straightforward installation, modifications will be made on the linkage only. I can even switch into using Weber carbs that can be sourced here locally. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Let me first think of the turbo conversion project.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:04   #16
EYB

Thanks Glen!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:38   #17
EYB

Hi Mike

I raised my concern to the seller regarding the combined donor engines (B21FT and B230FT). He said that he has a running 740 AT due for auction and and said that we can negotiate on this. If I take this route, will there still be a lot of conversions to be made as you have previously mentioned (e.g replacing the flywheel, gearbox linkage, etc.) on top of the spaghetti-like electrical system conversion?

dindo
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 21:45   #18
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Hi Mike

I raised my concern to the seller regarding the combined donor engines (B21FT and B230FT). He said that he has a running 740 AT due for auction and and said that we can negotiate on this. If I take this route, will there still be a lot of conversions to be made as you have previously mentioned (e.g replacing the flywheel, gearbox linkage, etc.) on top of the spaghetti-like electrical system conversion?

dindo
The mechanical side if you have complete one from 740 is not too difficult and I can fairly easily take photos/give guidance on any area of which you are not sure. I have found one of the green manuals and the other should not be far away (the turbo one). It did take a lot of working out but did not involve mases of new connections or cables as the turbo loom could be joined to the original car looms. Again time permitting I expect I would be able to provide some help here. Last time I must admit we spent about 1.5 days studying diagrams and working out how it would all go together. Having done it once I would hope it would be a little quicker for us.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 22:59   #19
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Default Just a note

I don't know exactly what you are proposing to swap - but it may be worth mentioning the B230K engine is a bit of a oddball as far as the B230 range goes.

It has a flat cylinder head with combustion chambers in the cylinders - so you can't really swap heads onto it without changing the pistons (and some other odd bits - I'm not sure of the details, but it has been done).

If you are swapping the whole engine you won't have to worry.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:45   #20
EYB

Question

Hi Mike
Sorry for being away for a while. My apprehensions for the B230FT or 740 conversion is still on the electrical side. The mechanical side is very straightforward.

I would like to look at the route of doing a conversion set-up via normal aspiration. Here goes...

1. B230FT head (installed)
2. B230K pistons (flat top pistons, installed)
3. B230FT pistons with con rods (coming)
4. Penta Volvo marine AQ 125A dual intake manifold for a 240 (With either Solex or Weber dual side draft carbs) (coming)
5. 740/940 16 valve head (pending)

What is the best combination should I decide to install the dual carb system?