Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147772

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2020, 08:53   #391
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Ast85

Yes I find Torque very useful.

And if you have Dice then you can monitor the turbo control valve duty cycle which you cant see through Torque. That can give more clues.

HTH
Steve
What is Torque please?
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 10:18   #392
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
What is Torque please?
Torque Pro and the earlier version, Torque, are apps that run on phones, tablets, laptops etc which read generic OBDII codes and give real time readouts of various engine parameters when the engine is running and whilst the car is being driven using an ELM unit plugged in to the OBDII port. It will can also be used as a digital dashboard, speedometer, rev counter, boost gauge, & etc on a single or multiple screens.

Elm units come as cabled &/or bluetooth connectivity, so can be used in a number of convenient and useful ways. They will not read a number of the Volvo codes, and will not let you turn off Volvo airbag codes, but they can be used to reset the service warning.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Feb 27th, 2020 at 10:24.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 12:16   #393
Mkengineering
Master Member

Installed 19t turbo.
Vxr injectors
3inch turbo non cat no silencer exhaust
Refurbed new titan alloys
sovvang custom map
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 20:02   #394
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have always been a traditional hand polishing chap - starting with Simoniz hard wax back in the 1970's. However, I recently went on a 'hands on' demonstration visit to Meguiares, organised by one of the Volvo facebook groups. We were shown how to use a dual action polishing machine and the correct application of products - this was a revelation to many in the group and proved how effortless a shiney car really is.

I have subsequently bought a da polisher and used it for the first time at the weekend. Having previously washed and dried the car, I clayed the car to remove contamination, then polished with Meguiars Ultimate cutting compound, then Poorboys Black Hole Glaze and finally a coat of Poorboys carnauba wax.

I thought the car was shiney before, but the results are truly outstanding - although it has removed the fine swirls and scratches it does show up deeper scratches - I think the previous owner washed the car with a handful of sharp sand in the water The white flecks on the door are reflections not deep scratches.

Now onto the other cars as they are sulking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200311_104942 (1).jpg (167.7 KB, 39 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:14   #395
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I thought the car was shiney before, but the results are truly outstanding - although it has removed the fine swirls and scratches it does show up deeper scratches - I think the previous owner washed the car with a handful of sharp sand in the water The white flecks on the door are reflections not deep scratches.

Now onto the other cars as they are sulking.
Wow! That deep shine on the C70 door looks superb.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 10:55   #396
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Wow! That deep shine on the C70 door looks superb.
Thank you for your kind words.

The first attachment shows the car when I first bought it, the second was taken yesterday following machine polishing. Even with a light colour the depth of shine is much, much deeper. Incidentally the same products were used in both photos, the only difference is hand versus machine polishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0908.jpg (123.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20200311_105358.jpg (169.8 KB, 28 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 18:53   #397
Dippydog
Premier Member

Got bulb out warning light on V70 dash,a quick check and o/s headlight blown.called at local parts shop new bulb purchased and not much more than 30 secs later normal service resumed Who needs modern stuf where you have to dismantle half the front end just to change a bulb?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 19:54   #398
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Got bulb out warning light on V70 dash,a quick check and o/s headlight blown.called at local parts shop new bulb purchased and not much more than 30 secs later normal service resumed Who needs modern stuf where you have to dismantle half the front end just to change a bulb?
I had a laugh recently at work for just that.
Having driven to work (in the middle of the night) I had a bulb blow on the journey, I usually carry spares as they seem to blow too often so when I went into the office to find there was nothing to do I said OK I'm just going to go change the headlight bulb in my car. When I walked back in 10 minutes later they laughed and asked if I'd given up? When I said no I'd changed it they were gobsmacked. Old man in his old Volvo gets the last laugh

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 18:29   #399
S70Smith

Default Boost gauge

So after having the gauge for a year I finally fitted it, about an hour and a half routing all the pipework and wiring, the thing works, but makes a noise like its leaking!! Can anyone recommend a good gauge?
S70Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 11:40   #400
Clogs
Clogs

Default Put in some brighter reversing LED lamp bulbs

Got a couple of Katur BA15S bulbs for a tenner - much improved luminosity so I won't hit the fence post while reversing in my drive. The old filament bulbs seemed to be getting dimmer...or is it my eyesight getting dimmer with age?
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post: