Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T v D

Views : 2006

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 13:27   #1
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Default T v D

So as posted in ‘wanted’ I am planning to buy a T2

My work circumstances are changing which means my current 7,500 mile commute changes to 16,000 miles, doing that in the A2 is impractical (I love it but it’s not a mile-muncher) and doing it in the Passat, which is also the main family car and tow car, would see that doing over 25kpa. I’ve owned the A2 15 years and it owes me nothing so I plan to pamper it in retirement and buy a 3rd car.

I had previously driven a V40 T2 and been very, very impressed so the plan was to buy a D2 and use this to mile-munch; having owned a petrol and diesel A2 in the past I know how dramatically differently they can ‘feel’ never mind how the engine performs.

Mrs FB had driven neither so we have a weekend test drive of a T2 and D3, both R-Design (the former pre facelift, the latter post facelift). The conclusion was marked as it was rapid; petrol every time, what the D3 has in guts was overwhelmed by the feel and smoothness of the petrol so the plan will now change to buying a T2 and balancing the mileage of approx 10-13kpa each on the Volvo and Passat and less than 5kpa on the A2 to balance cost and comfort. The advantage of owning three cars (man maths...) is that I can sell each car private and use the A2 until it’s replaced so that I get more...

Anyway, I shall keep looking around and if anyone has a PCP coming to an end and would rather make a few more quid, get in touch!
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 11:58   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Another advantage of the T2 is that A) there are quite a few about and B) a remap sees enormous bhp gains because of how pegged back the 2.0-litre turbo engine is in stock form (122bhp)
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 19:33   #3
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Thanks for that, I had no idea the T2 was easily remapped but it makes sense; my A2 is remapped so I have no qualms over having this done at all
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 11:16   #4
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

I’m rethinking this one, as I’d embarrassingly forgotten that the Euro 5 D3 and D4 models are 5-pots which whilst not as smooth as the petrol will at least sound good, and of course I will spend less!

Looking at focusing all my driving on a V40 in that case, ideally an auto - looks like they are less likely to go wrong than the Euro 6 diesel engines too.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 11:47   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
I’m rethinking this one, as I’d embarrassingly forgotten that the Euro 5 D3 and D4 models are 5-pots which whilst not as smooth as the petrol will at least sound good, and of course I will spend less!

Looking at focusing all my driving on a V40 in that case, ideally an auto - looks like they are less likely to go wrong than the Euro 6 diesel engines too.
The 5 cylinder variants make owning a diesel engine a hugely more pleasant experience compared to the 4 cylinder versions.

I owned an S40 2.0d for 3 years and the engine 'personality' was completely non-existent... it was just a generic diesel engine, and I swore I would never own another diesel engine again.

However fast forward 10 years later and (due to impending apocalypse) I decided I would buy a cheap V70 D5. Whilst it does sound like agricultural machinary at idle, once on the move its actually enjoyable to drive, especially when you put your foot down.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:14   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:

Depends on the model year - from the start of production until 2015 I think the D3 and D4's are the 2.0 5-cylinder Volvo engine. And it's brilliant, I've had one, very reliable, very economical and great to drive. The D2's have a 1.6 4-cylinder PSA/Ford lump.

From around 2015 I think all the V40 diesels have the 4-cylinder Volvo VEA engine which is also very good. There where a few issues with EGR valves which are mostly sorted now. In this range I don't see that the D2 makes any sense - it's the same engine with a software brick under the accelerator to limit it to 120 BHP. My 2.0 VEA XC60 190 D4 was lively enough, a V40 with that engine will be an absolute hoot to drive.

Anyway regardless of year, D2's are the less desirable ones (but many people have D2's and are very happy...)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:40   #7
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

The Euro 6 engines are the 4-cylinder VEA units, Euro 5 the 1.6 DW6 PSA (D2) and 5-cylinder D3 and D4 units.

I know the 1.6 D2 is often maligned but as long as it’s serviced properly and had the injector bolts checked should be fine - we used to own a Citroen DS4 with the same engine and I quite liked it l, the engine has quite a lightweight and sweet feel to it (for a diesel!) - however, for 60 miles a day I’d rather have the 5-pot for relaxed cruising and a nice thrum when accelerating!
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 09:01   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
The Euro 6 engines are the 4-cylinder VEA units, Euro 5 the 1.6 DW6 PSA (D2) and 5-cylinder D3 and D4 units.

I know the 1.6 D2 is often maligned but as long as it’s serviced properly and had the injector bolts checked should be fine - we used to own a Citroen DS4 with the same engine and I quite liked it l, the engine has quite a lightweight and sweet feel to it (for a diesel!) - however, for 60 miles a day I’d rather have the 5-pot for relaxed cruising and a nice thrum when accelerating!
Yep you’ve got it... the 1.6 engine fitted to the early D2 is probably the most common engine in the world, it can be found in the BMW Mini, fords, Citroen’s, Peugeot’s, Suzuki’s as well as Volvos.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 14:28   #9
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Question;

Looking at Auto’s, I can’t quite work out if any V40’s came with Ford’s chocolate-internals ‘Powershift’ dual-clutch gearbox or whether they are all Geartronic Torque Convertor gearboxes? Hoping they are all the latter, certainly on the 5-cylinder units, and therefore reliable.

Looks like I’ll spend around £8k for a 13-64 plate D3 SE Lux or SE with 40-60k on the clock, more than happy with that.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 14:58   #10
steV50

V40 auto's with Volvo 5 cylinder engines and later 4 cylinder VEA engines all have geartronic torque converter automatic transmission.

The only V40 engines with the Ford powershift gearbox are the 1.6 D2 (Ford/PSA engine) and the 1.6 T4 petrol (Ford ecoboost engine).
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote