Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a 2007 volvo s60 d5 185

Views : 1027

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 20:25   #1
walshawwilly

Default Just bought a 2007 volvo s60 d5 185

As the title suggests, just bought the above car after looking at a few different cars, 2 163 d5 autos and a 185 auto, all had various issues but the engines seemed sweet in all models, was quite suprised how well even the 163 engines pull, and pretty impressed by the 185s the auto I test drove must have been remapped, it just couldn't put the power down, the 185 manual I bought seems to have some clout too, it's done 133k with pretty much full service history, cambelt at 53k so I'm guessing another is due now, there's a rattle sounds like it's coming from the nearside rear suspension and the handbrake won't hold the car and is pointing to the moon, I'd love to get it remapped but am I going to end up having problems at this mileage, any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated
walshawwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 08:19   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

suspension rattles and hand brake are an easy fix. dont worry about the mileage . my v70 has 226k and runs well enjoy your new car.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 08:25   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshawwilly View Post
As the title suggests, just bought the above car after looking at a few different cars, 2 163 d5 autos and a 185 auto, all had various issues but the engines seemed sweet in all models, was quite suprised how well even the 163 engines pull, and pretty impressed by the 185s the auto I test drove must have been remapped, it just couldn't put the power down, the 185 manual I bought seems to have some clout too, it's done 133k with pretty much full service history, cambelt at 53k so I'm guessing another is due now, there's a rattle sounds like it's coming from the nearside rear suspension and the handbrake won't hold the car and is pointing to the moon, I'd love to get it remapped but am I going to end up having problems at this mileage, any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated
dont worry about mileage my v70 has 226k. suspension rattles and hand brake are common problems and easy to fix enjoy your new car
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 11:26   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

Theses cars have had issues with handbrake shoes delaminating. The lever goes high. I would get in soon for a look. In extreme cases the wheel locks and breaks the shoe anchor on the hub.
Other candidates for a knock/rattle back there are the roll bar link and the roll bar bush. The bush is bonded to the bar and is replaced as a complete bar assembly. Aftermarket bushes can be fitted at much smaller cost but will probably not last as long.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 15:17   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

The handbrake shoes inside the rear discs can make a very loud clanking/rattling noise if not secured properly to the hub, so worth an inspection.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 18:24   #6
walshawwilly

Thanks everyone for the replies, I haven't started using the car yet so I don't damage anything any worse in the rear brakes if it is the parking brake shoes, it's going in tomorrow to be looked at, it would appear the rear exhaust box has a bodge on both hangers with some jubilee clips, I'll also get him to see if the exhaust is ok and wether I can just purchase those special clamps to make good, I have bought some mobil super 3000 formula f 0w 30 oil that meets a5/b5 spec, this was eurocarparts recommendation, will this be ok on a car with 133k on the clock, the next question is do I get it remapped
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 07:10   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
on a car with 133k on the clock, the next question is do I get it remapped
Don't see why not if you want to.

Intercoolers are weak on the diesels though, and often expire around 150k. So check yours, especially if you're going to be running higher boost. Look for oil around the radiator. The intercooler is the middle of a 3 pack of radiators.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 09:21   #8
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
I have bought some mobil super 3000 formula f 0w 30 oil that meets a5/b5 spec, this was eurocarparts recommendation, will this be ok on a car with 133k on the clock, the next question is do I get it remapped
No need to change oil spec on these as they age. Remap if you wish but these cars have a lot of poke in standard map. You could push things like intercooler and clutch over the edge. I would hold off for the moment until things have settled down and the other niggles sorted.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 21:48   #9
walshawwilly

Had my handbrake sorted today, was told they put a blob of weld on something that had broken off in the rear handbrake set up somewhere, it still needs a decent tug to hold it on a steep hill but it's better than nothing at all and leaving in gear, the knocking noise was a nearside rear shocker but he couldn't get one today so will probably have a pair fitted when I have the cambelt done, to be honest I am concerned about the clutch if I get it remapped but I bet they are rapid when done, they feel more than 185bhp,i watched a video where celtic tuning remapped a v70 d5 185,it made 204 bhp and 302 lbft standard, not sure if this is the norm?
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 22:16   #10
walshawwilly

Well I replaced the rear shock absorbers on Saturday, I bought some quinten hazell ones £65 for the pair and looked decent quality, the knocking has gone but there was a but of a rubbery creak if you turned sharply, I buzzed the top nut on with my impact wrench as I didn't have an 18mm spanner but I've got one and slackened them off and retightened them with a spanner tonight, I think I need a torque wrench, not sure how tight 60 nm is, will see if the creak has gone tomorrow, I must say now I'm getting it up to scratch, how much I like the car, it's certainly got some power and that noise, it sounds like a petrol engine!!!