Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Turbo Drift Car / Pickup Project

Views : 2766

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2020, 22:58   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
But at least I wont spill my coffee
I'm not so sure! Even with an auto i've had a couple of near misses, mainly use it now if i'm parked.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 14:37   #12
deeman940
Master Member

Firstly, welcome to 940 ownership! i like the A-Traktor pick ups, i saw one done really well once which used the original tailgate as the rear of the cab, was very nicely done but most of them are proper bodges....i am not sure however i would be chopping up a good one now as values are on the rise...
i have a wagon which i am going to be drifting in VERY shortly!
The suspension is the first thing needs sorting as they handle like a blancmange as stock.
I am using BC coilovers which i really like although others have different opinions on them. i also have polybushes all round from Retroturbo.com. i have strengthened the rear subframe using a Yoshifab kit. IPD anti roll bars (essential) and front upper and lower strut braces, i also have a Gripper LSD.
It now handles fantastic on 17's with Toyo T1 R tyres.. oh and Kaplhenke racing rear torque rods...
getting 300bhp can be done a few ways. Most people change the turbo for a 16-20t , change the injectors, larger MAF from a 960, chips for both ECU's downpipe . exhaust, camshaft etc etc loads of threads on tuning
Look forward to seeing what you do with it and feel free to ask any questions
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 14:50   #13
Redblockturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Would you sell me the cuopholder armrest ???

Cheers

Mark
I will indeed, which one do you current have? Send me a PM to disucss?
Redblockturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redblockturbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 14:52   #14
Redblockturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I agree it looks a nice car, but it's your car after all. Looking forward to following your build thread

Are you keeping the wood dash effect trim? If so may be interested.

James
I am going to try and keep the front interior as standard as possible, so for now at-least I will be keeping it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redblockturbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 14:57   #15
Redblockturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Firstly, welcome to 940 ownership! i like the A-Traktor pick ups, i saw one done really well once which used the original tailgate as the rear of the cab, was very nicely done but most of them are proper bodges....i am not sure however i would be chopping up a good one now as values are on the rise...
i have a wagon which i am going to be drifting in VERY shortly!
The suspension is the first thing needs sorting as they handle like a blancmange as stock.
I am using BC coilovers which i really like although others have different opinions on them. i also have polybushes all round from Retroturbo.com. i have strengthened the rear subframe using a Yoshifab kit. IPD anti roll bars (essential) and front upper and lower strut braces, i also have a Gripper LSD.
It now handles fantastic on 17's with Toyo T1 R tyres.. oh and Kaplhenke racing rear torque rods...
getting 300bhp can be done a few ways. Most people change the turbo for a 16-20t , change the injectors, larger MAF from a 960, chips for both ECU's downpipe . exhaust, camshaft etc etc loads of threads on tuning
Look forward to seeing what you do with it and feel free to ask any questions
Thanks for the warm welcome. I was thinking exactly the same, I want to use the rear window as the cab back window and do the a proper job rather than a bodge.

It would be good to pick your brains at some point regarding mods.

Where are you based?

How do you rate the gripper LSD for drifting as that was a potential option I was looking at too.

I couldn't find any posts on mods for the 940 pushing 300HP but I will take another look.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 21:50   #16
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redblockturbo View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. I was thinking exactly the same, I want to use the rear window as the cab back window and do the a proper job rather than a bodge.

It would be good to pick your brains at some point regarding mods.

Where are you based?

How do you rate the gripper LSD for drifting as that was a potential option I was looking at too.

I couldn't find any posts on mods for the 940 pushing 300HP but I will take another look.
i am in Watford mate, you are welcome to pick my brains all you like...or pop down for a look/ chat!
The Gripper diff is great, it drifts great, they were a great company to deal with,,,Ask for a guy called John and tell them you want a working speedo before you order!
It is all pretty much tried n tested stuff with the 940. 300 bhp is a safe and achievable level for most people before you start having to replace rods and possibly uprate the clutch even more...
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 22:37   #17
Redblockturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
i am in Watford mate, you are welcome to pick my brains all you like...or pop down for a look/ chat!
The Gripper diff is great, it drifts great, they were a great company to deal with,,,Ask for a guy called John and tell them you want a working speedo before you order!
It is all pretty much tried n tested stuff with the 940. 300 bhp is a safe and achievable level for most people before you start having to replace rods and possibly uprate the clutch even more...
I'll can't send you a PM as I haven't made 30 posts yet. Can you send me a PM with your number and then we organise something.

Are you running 300HP in yours?

Last edited by Redblockturbo; Jul 10th, 2020 at 22:42.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 21:48   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I believe Lolvo is running 310hp in his drift car, I will send him a text and see if he is up for posting his mods for you.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 02:43   #19
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There are a few pickups knocking about, I have been considering doing it to one of my 960's but really need to get our 240 pick up rebuilt.

300 BHP is not too hard to do without going to major on mods, 400 is really a bit past what LH2.4 can support.

The grippers diffs are very good, I have sold a lot to guys for drifting and the work very well. The quaife diffs are also good but not quite as good for all out motorsport
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 09:53   #20
Redblockturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I believe Lolvo is running 310hp in his drift car, I will send him a text and see if he is up for posting his mods for you.
That would be great thank you.

Tags
940, 940 estate, drift, pickup