Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Maintenance Required

Views : 745

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2020, 14:49   #1
Alwyn
Alwyn

Default Engine Maintenance Required

Having bought his 2004 XC70 D4 from a friend in 2010 I asked him to let me know when he was ready to change it. Last October I bought his 2010/11 XC70 D5. My first disappointment was how much worse the fuel consumption was 33.6mpg instead of >43.

The ominous message "Engine Maintenance Required" came up. I mentioned this to my friend and he says "Oh yes whenever I had that message the Volvo Service Centre checked it at no charge and reset it, implying that it was a computer fault.

My local garage checked with their hand held diagnostic kit and it came up with an injector fault. I rang the Volvo Service Centre who said that a check would cost £40.

My first question is "Are they likely to have a more sophisticated diagnostic kit?" If so it might be worth paying for a checkup.

Secondly, if it is only one injector, would it be a risk just to replace that one or should all of them be replaced. I believe some engines have 2 per cylinder and others 4.

What typically would be the cost in each case?
Alwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 17:03   #2
green van man
Premier Member

First port of call is to check your oil level. These engines should only be filled to the 3/4 mark on the dipstick, 5.7 litres from empty. Too high an oil level will give this message.

If the oil level is high the next question is why. If simple overfill just drain .5 litre out of the sump and reset the warning. If it's rising due to diesel getting into the sump via the faulty injector that needs sorting and once done I would change the oil were it my car.

Look at the price of injectors and you will only change the one that is needed unless you've recently had a lottery win. I belive the new injector needs codeing to the car and vida dice is needed for that, wether the knock off ones will do it or its a dealer job afraid I am unsure, never having had to do it on my car.

Hope that helps and it's the cheap option for you.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 17:35   #3
Alwyn
Alwyn

Default Re Engine Maintenace Message

Thanks for responding Paul. The D5 has an electronic sensor instead of a dipstick. We did have a problem a while back with too much oil. A message comes up to say that the oil level is too high. Draining it is also not straightforward.

I have been advised to try an additive in the fuel to clear the injectors so will see if the message comes back on a longish journey next week. If it does I think I'll have to take it to a Volvo agent to get a second opinion as it were and see where to go from there.
Colin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alwyn For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 06:06   #4
green van man
Premier Member

You sure it only has the electronic guage Colin.
My 2010 xc70 D5 has a small yellow plastic technicians dipstick low down on the front of the engine just above the sump and a pain to get to. That was the reason I spent £60 on the police spec full sized dipstick. As well as the dash guage.

I know the later engines did away with it and were guage only but at our vintage they were still there although well hidden. As I say low down on the front of the engine, just above the sump joint and slightly centeral of the back of the alternator. Dirty sleeve and skinned knuckles are a distinct possibility removing it. It is just a pull out but mine was hard to remove because I think I was the first person to do so.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 11:16   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Technician’s Dipstick.

What Paul said. Mine was also difficult to remove. I’ve also fitted a full-size dipstick. Oil gauge message reads Full. Dipstick shows half way between low and full.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 12:36   #6
Alwyn
Alwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
You sure it only has the electronic guage Colin.
My 2010 xc70 D5 has a small yellow plastic technicians dipstick low down on the front of the engine just above the sump and a pain to get to. That was the reason I spent £60 on the police spec full sized dipstick. As well as the dash guage.

I know the later engines did away with it and were guage only but at our vintage they were still there although well hidden. As I say low down on the front of the engine, just above the sump joint and slightly centeral of the back of the alternator. Dirty sleeve and skinned knuckles are a distinct possibility removing it. It is just a pull out but mine was hard to remove because I think I was the first person to do so.

Paul.
It was bought in October 2010 so a 2011 model perhaps. I certainly can't see it.