Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what is the reason about noise??

Views : 550

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 12:06   #1
Sean Park
Sean

Default what is the reason about noise??

Hello everyone.

My volvo : XC90(2010)

What is the reason about front noise?

Axle ping? Front wheel bearing??

https://youtu.be/QbCieAixPi4
https://youtu.be/fQZQO9WONmo
Sean Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 16:19   #2
binty

Wink sounds like a bearing

Sounds like a bearing.
Have you checked tyres are all good first, not worn down, no flat spots or anything amis?

If its a bearing only use Volvo parts unless you have a specific known make that is good for Volvo. OEM stuff tends to die on XC90's
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 17:30   #3
Sean Park
Sean

Thanks. Yup, we already did the alignment thing, new tires, etc etc etc.
Sean Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 18:46   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Park View Post
Hello everyone.

My volvo : XC90(2010)

What is the reason about front noise?

Axle ping? Front wheel bearing??

https://youtu.be/QbCieAixPi4
https://youtu.be/fQZQO9WONmo
XC90's are prone to wheel bearing failure, but check for other bearing noises from alternator pully and belt tensioner and aircon pump, aircon can be turned off while driving to see if that makes any difference.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 09:52   #5
OriginalTDave

Sounds like a wheel bearing(s), but as the others say it could be tyres etc. I chased a similar noise for 6 weeks, replaced all 4 wheels bearings one at a time in the end, this was based on which bearing I thought was the noise source, with each change of bearing the noise reduced..
The nearside front and rear were the biggest culprits, but the offside bearings also were contributing noise. A huge improvement noise wise to the car now. Of course now I can hear the tyre noise, as I have almost new Goodyear dual season wranglers and they are not that quiet.. their noise shows the most on sections of smooth worn road surfaces where they make a noise similar to a bearing noise...
Ref the wheel bearings, of the 4 replaced only two showed wear, when turned by hand you could just detect roughness at certain positions of rotation, the other two felt fine, but for sure they were on their way out as the noise reduced when they were replaced.
One point ref tyre noise. I have also found that wheel alignment which is just out of spec will also make the tyre noise increase, this seems more noticeable on tyres which are dual season. Only way to accurately check this is with a 4 wheel laser alignment.
OriginalTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 11:41   #6
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Easy way to isolate engine components (air con/alternator etc) is to put in neutral - if noise same then definitely coming from drive train; could be gearbox/transfer box bearing but my money is on a wheel bearing.

Just had another thought - might be able to isolate further by putting into manual and moving up a gear - if noise still same then less likely to be in gearbox/transfer box and more likely bearing/tyre problem.

Last edited by XJSDriver; Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:49.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote