Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102784

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2017, 11:17   #1231
Lexman8
Premier Member

My car is with the dealer (yet) again for a couple of days and my loan car is an XC90 Inscription with Conti Silent tyres and only 800 miles on the clock. It's definitely quieter than my own car fitted with Pirelli Scorpion on 19" wheels; not a huge amount but noticeable, especially on smoother roads. The engine noise is also more muted which makes me think that other changes to reduce noise have been made since mine was produced.
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 11:58   #1232
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyefarmer View Post
First decent trip on the 19" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres - verdict, definite improvement. Far fewer stretches with load roar. Lots more actually quite enjoyably quiet. Still not as quiet as my old '06 D5. However, at least with winter tyres I can tell myself that I'm getting some additional winter performance in exchange for the noise. I shall probably stick with this combination until needing new tyres, and then buy Michelin CrossClimate.
Do you often get snow on Skye? I guess you have the warming effect of the sea to maybe keep it above freezing, but I guess it is below 7c for a good few months of the year.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 20:21   #1233
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
My car is with the dealer (yet) again for a couple of days and my loan car is an XC90 Inscription with Conti Silent tyres and only 800 miles on the clock. It's definitely quieter than my own car fitted with Pirelli Scorpion on 19" wheels; not a huge amount but noticeable, especially on smoother roads. The engine noise is also more muted which makes me think that other changes to reduce noise have been made since mine was produced.
Coincidently I too had a 67 plate XC90 loan car the other day and have been meaning to update this thread with my experience with the car (albeit only on a short run).

The car was a 67 plate D5 Momentum on standard suspension with 235/55/R19 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. The only other differences which *may* have contributed to different noise levels were the loan car not having the panoramic roof or family pack and hence rear window blinds that our car has.

Just like Lexman, I found the engine more muted and the whole car just felt as if it were somehow better insulated, I felt slightly more detached from the outside world.

As for the road noise, surprisingly the difference between the loan cars 19's and our Conti Silent 20's wasn't as significant as I expected. There was certainly less road noise around town and on slower roads, but once you got up to 50+, while the overall sound levels were reduced, tyre roar seemed to make up a similar proportion of the overall noise levels.

Other observations were that the standard suspension gives a firmer ride, more like air suspension in dynamic mode. It felt pretty planted in the corners and didn't roll like air in comfort. Around town there was a bit more thumping noise from the suspension.

Something has certainly changed for the better, and it just goes to support my feeling that Volvo are continuing to revise the car as each model year passes.

:wq
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 21:21   #1234
neon
Premier Member

All these changes are great but what about existing owners.
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 22:16   #1235
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
All these changes are great but what about existing owners.
I agree, it is frustrating. But at least, although we've often suspected they aren't, Volvo are obviously listening. And, where possible they have at least offered fixes, in the b-pillar mods, suspension mods and new tyres. I don't believe any manufacturer sits still between minor facelifts and larger revisions, the cars and components are constantly refined and improved.

My mate had an Audi A6 Avant, exactly the same as mine other than a different colour and trim level. My car was a 2007 model and his a 2008. On paper they were the same version of that model, but there was a slight revision to the engine which gave his car a few more bhp, and it ran just a little quieter and smoother, and it just felt 1 year ahead to ride in, similar the my XC90 we had compared to our own car.

BMW also change the iDrive system dramatically around 2009, and there were a lot of similar cars around, some with the MKI iDrive and others with the dramatically better MKII. Those with MKI couldn't upgrade to MKII. I guess at least with Volvo, they are providing Sensus revisions to all.

I might sound as if I'm a little too much on Volvo's side here, I'm not, and I'm still not completely happy with the road noise in the car. But I've been very impressed with how my local Volvo dealer has looked after me, after nearly 18 months I'm still liking an awful low about the car, probably even more that I did when I first got it, and I can see Volvo making an effort to resolve issues.

I mean hey, come on, they've even introduced a new start/stop switch which you only have to turn one way now!!!

:wq
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 00:22   #1236
neon
Premier Member

I guess it depends what has changed. If it is something that could be fairly easily fitted then Volvo should be carrying this out to resolve the noise issues with our cars. If it a significant change that cannot be retrofitted then I can understand the reason why this could not happen.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 08:49   #1237
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I found the engine more muted and the whole car just felt as if it were somehow better insulated, I felt slightly more detached from the outside world.
This loan car certainly creates a more pleasant driving experience than my own car does. Two 20-mile drives yesterday were more relaxing than usual.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 21:45   #1238
skyefarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Do you often get snow on Skye? I guess you have the warming effect of the sea to maybe keep it above freezing, but I guess it is below 7c for a good few months of the year.....
It doesn't snow often on Skye, and we typically get two types: either a massive dump but which melts within a day or two; or a sprinkle followed by days and days (sometimes two or three weeks) of freezing temperatures. From my own experience, I've had most benefit from winter or all-season tyres in torrential rain with lots of standing water - of which we have a lot! No aquaplaning and much better grip.
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 10:29   #1239
jasz1156

So my s90 T6 polestar is back to the dealer after the b pillar mod made little difference. Having thought about I concluded I should stick with the car.The agreement I reached was to change to 19” wheels ( from 20”)and have dynamat installed through passenger drive and rear seat floor. I already have dynamat in the rear.
The car is now with them and I have an s90 loaner( demo) while they do the work. I suggested they go to Dunlop sportmaxx but they want to stick with pirelli so I will bit the bullet. I spoke to several tyre shops and they felt the pirelli with noise control were fine.so we will see.
jasz1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 13:00   #1240
Jimrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasz1156 View Post
So my s90 T6 polestar is back to the dealer after the b pillar mod made little difference. Having thought about I concluded I should stick with the car.The agreement I reached was to change to 19” wheels ( from 20”)and have dynamat installed through passenger drive and rear seat floor. I already have dynamat in the rear.
The car is now with them and I have an s90 loaner( demo) while they do the work. I suggested they go to Dunlop sportmaxx but they want to stick with pirelli so I will bit the bullet. I spoke to several tyre shops and they felt the pirelli with noise control were fine.so we will see.
How does your S90 loaner compare, what spec? Surely that will give an idea of any problems if it's different to yours?
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote